The Great KLM 747 Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
My first flight from Australia (Sydney) to Europe (Milano Malpensa) was on KLM in a 747 Combi codeshare with Alitalia. The whole trip was a real eye opener to me starting with upstairs business class, a quick stop in Singapore and a small ceramic house bottle of liquor.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
We were sat in the very forward part of Y, at the left side, where the right is occupied by galleys. (it became economy comfort soonafter)
For many years the combis had a third WBC cabin in that section. I can no longer recall how long that lasted. The Flying Dutchman pocket diaries only got seat maps starting in 2004, and by then the section was regular Y (rows 9-18), although for many years the diaries incorrectly still designated it as WBC.

Johan
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel
For many years the combis had a third WBC cabin in that section. I can no longer recall how long that lasted. The Flying Dutchman pocket diaries only got seat maps starting in 2004, and by then the section was regular Y (rows 9-18), although for many years the diaries incorrectly still designated it as WBC.

Johan
That's where I sat in 2001. I was glad to be in a window seat and not in the section right next to the galley. The Thai 747-400 I was on last year had that configuration too

Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
That's where I sat in 2001. I was glad to be in a window seat and not in the section right next to the galley.
For some reason that section was the least popular, despite have the fewest seats and it's own dedicated FA. As a result, you had a far higher chance of an empty seat next to you in that cabin.

Johan
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by johan rebel
For some reason that section was the least popular, despite have the fewest seats and it's own dedicated FA. As a result, you had a far higher chance of an empty seat next to you in that cabin.

Johan
Far higher chance of the captain’s neighbor’s hairdresser next to you, you mean...

Yes they were the best C seats also for storage as there was plenty of room between the seat and the galley wall.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR
Far higher chance of the captain’s neighbor’s hairdresser next to you, you mean...

No doubt, but also a pretty decent chance of an empty seat next to you.

Johan
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
I have a booking in bizclass, for a JFK-AMS flight, late july. I booked it to experience KLM's 747, and I selected seat 1A.
Since they announced the end of the 747 era, I've waited by far more than 3 weeks, and they still didn't update the aircraft info. My question is, do I have a small chance that I am flying the jumbo, or forget it? Because if that's the case, I would rebook it to Air France, as they have a better product in just about everything.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by e30st
I have a booking in bizclass, for a JFK-AMS flight, late july. I booked it to experience KLM's 747, and I selected seat 1A.
Since they announced the end of the 747 era, I've waited by far more than 3 weeks, and they still didn't update the aircraft info. My question is, do I have a small chance that I am flying the jumbo, or forget it? Because if that's the case, I would rebook it to Air France, as they have a better product in just about everything.
The KLM 747s will not fly anymore with passengers.

Air France still has some planes with no lie flat seats. And some of the AF stewardesses will even ignore you when in Business Class. Also after the Corona virus outbreak the staff will probably go on strike for a raise of salaries and the fact that they want to keep giving the same level of service to customers as during the Corona virus crisis. So be prepared!
johan rebel, Zembla, bzcat and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; Apr 4, 2020 at 1:44 am Reason: small rewrite
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Looks like some of the 74Ms are being put back into service for cargo only flights between AMS and PVG/PEK!

Starting 4/13 for the next 6-8 weeks, 2 weekly PEK and 3 weekly PVG, on top of the currently running cargo only flights between AMS-PEK/PVG 2 weekly each.

Here's hoping this will help keep the 74Ms in the fleet after passenger services resume...
Fabo.sk and Solevita like this.

Last edited by newflyer530; Apr 9, 2020 at 6:06 am
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newflyer530
Looks like some of the 74Ms are being put back into service for cargo only flights between AMS and PVG/PEK.
A decision that vindicates Stan Wraight (see post #126 ).

Johan
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Who will fly the combi's now. Martinair or KLM crew?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should imagine that Martinair's pilots are being kept very busy flying the full-freighters. Cargo airlines are having a fabulous pandemic, demand way exceeds their capacity.

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:33 am
NGX

As some of you may know, there is an 'air bridge' between Amsterdam and Beijing/Shanghai on behalf of Philips. However, I just read on Airlineroute that some of the flights will go via Incheon. As a curious person, I decided to check if I was able to book these flights as well.

Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Interesting. Any idea of the price?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Interesting. Any idea of the price?
www.KLM.com
www.Google.com/flights
[Your favorite OTA]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.