Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great KLM 747 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by CyBeR
This is a misconception, unless it was under FL100 over US airspace. Cockpit visits are not illegal.
It was a visit during landing at LAX so it was most certainly illegal. I won't discuss more as I think it's a silly rule and don't want to get the crew in trouble.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My first and so far only KLM 747-400 was in 2001. I was on a family safari to Tanzania and we were flying back JRO-DAR-AMS-JFK. The inbound plane from AMS had a windshield crack over Italy and the plane turned back to AMS delaying our flight by six hours. My father was in paid J and my brother and I were in Y. The only rebooking option was for all of us in J on the evening AMS-JFK. I was 15 years old and it was such a fun experience. Large recliner seats in the first generation WBC configuration, PTVs, I remember an excellent duck entree and even better service. The cabin configuration was pretty weird back then. We were on a Combi and it had a large galley down the right side of the aircraft so there were 2 seats at the window, then two seats in the middle next to a giant wall between doors 1 and 2.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
The cabin configuration was pretty weird back then. We were on a Combi and it had a large galley down the right side of the aircraft so there were 2 seats at the window, then two seats in the middle next to a giant wall between doors 1 and 2.
For many years the combis had a third J cabin where EC located now. It had its own dedicated FA and only fourteen seats. On flights with low load factors it was the cabin where you had the highest chance of a vacant seat next to you.

Johan
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta
I just did SFO-AMS-SFO. 4A there and 77B back. Good seats, not very much storage. Bed was better upstairs for some reason.

Crappy VGML catering out of SFO, wonderful out of AMS. Now in my top 3 of any VGML meal I've ever had.

Crews on both flights were not very happy to have to give up working the "Queen". Heard a lot of sighs and saw a lot of unhappy faces when talking to them about the retirement.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, I get that a lot. Ex-SFO catering is always bad. The AMS one is declining. They got rid of the kroketbroodje
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
had my first ever flight on a 747-400 last week from JFK-AMS. opted for 1A.
flying in a 747 was a dream for me to come true. really a bucket list checkbox.

I liked the seat a lot. Food was "okay". just sad the flight was "only" 6 hours

have 2 more flights scheduled on the 747 so I have 5 flights on it before they retire.

747 > 777 for me any day of the week.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:17 pm

In the past I'd say I'd take the 747 over the 777 in WBC for sure, but this summer I did a turn through JFK on the combi with INOP IFE in both directions, in 2 different aircraft. No big deal on such a relatively short intercontinental flight, but maybe it's time for this bird to go gentle into the night if there's not going to be another cabin refresh.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ahar
I've also travelled upstairs on a 747 in economy. That was with JAL from Seoul to Tokyo on one of the 747s they operated on short routes with economy seating upstairs.
JAL’s 747’s with economy class upperdeck not only flew short routes. These 747’s were commonly seen at AMS, MXP, FCO, YVR, MEX, SYD and more places.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
JAL’s 747’s with economy class upperdeck.
JAL was not the only one. I stand to be corrected, but seem to recall that both SAA and BA had economy on the UD at some stage.

Johan
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
JAL was not the only one. I stand to be corrected, but seem to recall that both SAA and BA had economy on the UD at some stage.

Johan
AF also.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:26 am

Also IranAir and EVA Air.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
BA had it on some of their 747-100s and 200s. SAA had it on their 747-400s. My first ever 747 UD experience was in Y on the SAA 744 from JFK-JNB. It was miserable, 3-3 configuration in a cramped fashion. Felt like you were on a bad 737.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Unbeknownst to me they stopped flying the 747 from SFO No announcement whatsoever, but I was hoping it'd be more clear.

I saw my favorite bird on the tarmac at HKG - that service is ending December 6. I wonder when LAX is being quit? I'd love to be on the last flight, and I hope it's to LA...
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

747 destinations
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I thought they would fly the last one to NBO... oh I will miss her on these flights. My hart is shedding tears... 787-10 to NBO, JRO and DSM.... 😞

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.