Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning to CDG with AF. So far looks good.

I almost wished there were some chaos in CDG so I can try to get on a direct flight, but it looks like I'll have to take the detour.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning to CDG with AF. So far looks good.
The AMS forecast for tomorrow promises periods of rain, sleet and snow throughout the day, with temperatures just above freezing. Sounds like perfect conditions for another deicing freak show. Similar weather is predicted for the four days thereafter as well.

Sunday could be interesting. I rarely fly on weekends, so sort of expected I would be the only one, but it turns out that another 46 colleagues are flying in and out of AMS that day. Mostly KL, but also quite a number on PS, and a few on PC, DY and CX.

Johan
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The AMS forecast for tomorrow promises periods of rain, sleet and snow throughout the day, with temperatures just above freezing. Sounds like perfect conditions for another deicing freak show. Similar weather is predicted for the four days thereafter as well.

Sunday could be interesting. I rarely fly on weekends, so sort of expected I would be the only one, but it turns out that another 46 colleagues are flying in and out of AMS that day. Mostly KL, but also quite a number on PS, and a few on PC, DY and CX.

Johan
I'm flying through AMS tomorrow morning with a 50min connection between 8:30 and 9:20 am. This is going to be fun.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
So far so good. The inbound actually arrived sooner, and I'm boarded now. Outside it looks like a light drizzle with no intention of freezing, however I can't rule out deicing delays until we're in the air.

As an aside, today was the first time I haven't used the Privium privileges, even though I'd just had the status prolonged very recently. I still used priority security though, and it was not too bad. The leftmost (newer type body scanner) line was closed, the next three lines were used for prio. Decent pace. I had one tray go to secondary, but no wait. Done by the time last tray arrived from x-ray.
Lounge wise, the Crown Lounge had a line, so I went to check out the new Aspirelounge, apparently they opened today. Nice space upstairs by the terrace, but not bigger nor food is better. It should allow though, I expect, either enlarging the Crown Lounge or remodeling to launch the Privium secure zone lounge. (I have some pictures, but don't know where would I create a thread about it)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
So far so good. The inbound actually arrived sooner, and I'm boarded now.
Good for you.

This morning about three out of ten KL departures were delayed, which is an improvement of sorts.

It has been drizzling/raining continuously at AMS since early morning, with temperatures at two or three degrees above freezing. Welcome to winter in Holland!

Johan
PlnCzy likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's one of those days again.

KL canceled 72 flights yesterday on the assumption that it would be windy today. It is, but not that windy. Up to 15 m/s from the west.

Johan
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:04 am

Yes it was very windy today. There were gale force winds of up to 100 km/hour and there was also some damage.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: KL Plat
Coming in from GOT this morning, the 10.00 flight to AMS departed when we should have departed at 11.30, we were sat on the plane from 11.20 till we finally departed at 13.30. Did feel rather windy as we were coming in...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pepe C
Yes it was very windy today. There were gale force winds of up to 100 km/hour and there was also some damage.
No doubt, but AMS has only recorded gusts up to 18 m/s (65 kph) today. That's gale force, but only just.

I suspect that the main problem is that the wind came from the "wrong" direction, putting half the runways out of action.

Johan
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:20 am

Winds up to 120km/h are expected today in the South of the Netherlands. Schiphol is warning of delays.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Winds up to 120km/h are expected today in the South of the Netherlands. Schiphol is warning of delays.
Has the airport moved to southern parts of the country?

Johan
caliform likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:49 pm

If you're from Groningen, why not.
caliform and 747jetter like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Winds never exceeded 12 m/s at AMS yesterday, and were mostly well below that. Not even anywhere near gale force, in other words.

This past night was much windier.

Johan
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, KL has decided to make up for yesterday's missed opportunity by canceling 50 flights today instead.

Still not that windy, but blowing from the west, putting half the runways out of action.

Johan
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Well, KL has decided to make up for yesterday's missed opportunity by canceling 50 flights today instead.

Still not that windy, but blowing from the west, putting half the runways out of action.

Johan
Actually, yes sometimes seeing how the airport operates, it seems really pathetic. I had a flight early morning yesterday and according to the captain, all flights that early morning (not sure until what time) was delayed by approx 15-30 mins due to the rain..... I don't believe that there were too high winds as did not see much movement of the trees...but just because of rain. Can't believe how juvenille this is....maybe as a non meteo educated person - not sure what was so bad about the rain.....in the end, waited close o 40 mins before we could pushback.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.