Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forecast for the rest of the day is more of the same: a moderate to strong breeze, with near gale-force gusts at the coast. Doesn't sound like a storm to me.

Seems that KL jumped the gun once again.

Johan
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:51 pm

Feeder flights to and from the UK on KLC were badly affected, I checked as I'm due to fly back tomorrow, from Jakarta, into AMS, then back to HUY. Fingers crossed its all better by Monday morning, as I only have 4 days at home before doing a Humberside -Amsterdam - Bangkok- Siem Reap, Bangkok - Buri Ram - Bangkok - Kunming - Xi-An- Beijing - Amsterdam - Humberside by way of a "holiday".
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tezzer
Feeder flights to and from the UK on KLC were badly affected, I checked as I'm due to fly back tomorrow, from Jakarta, into AMS, then back to HUY. Fingers crossed its all better by Monday morning, as I only have 4 days at home before doing a Humberside -Amsterdam - Bangkok- Siem Reap, Bangkok - Buri Ram - Bangkok - Kunming - Xi-An- Beijing - Amsterdam - Humberside by way of a "holiday".
Next time skip AMS and HUY and fly JKT-BKK ;-). But I know, once you have a ticket booked and something else comes up, you have no option but to fly things or you loose your ticket....and one ways are usually much more expensive as returns.....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:33 am

I did look at the option, of staying here, and changing my flights out to come to Jakarta, and return as planned above.

However, I have 60 kilos of sensitive luggage that I can't take into Thailand, nor ship back unaccompanied, so it was the easiest option, and a bag load more FB miles !
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL(C) scrapped 144 flights yesterday due to what they called "bad weather".

It was a bit windy on the coast yesterday, but that was about it.

Temperatures at AMS were well above freezing (between 7.8°C and 11.5°C), only 6 mm of rain was recorded, the highest average windspeed was 13 m/s and the strongest gust just 21 m/s.

Johan
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I wonder if anybody would be successful in claiming compensation.

One could argue that this is very typical autumn/winter weather for NL, and therefore, not an extraordinary circumstance..
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by johan rebel
KL(C) scrapped 144 flights yesterday due to what they called "bad weather".

It was a bit windy on the coast yesterday, but that was about it.

Temperatures at AMS were well above freezing (between 7.8°C and 11.5°C), only 6 mm of rain was recorded, the highest average windspeed was 13 m/s and the strongest gust just 21 m/s.

Johan
I flew out of Amsterdam Saturday and it certainly felt very windy, although perhaps not as bad as feared. Almost all flights had minor delays of 20-40 minutes while a few were suffering long delays.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday (Saturday) Schiphol issuede an alert and warned pax to expect delays, as all of 1-3 cm of snow was predicted to fall during the night.

Well, the snow apparently didn't cause any problems after all, but instead it is a complete mess due to persistent fog. Just about every single incoming flight is delayed, some have been diverted. A colleague of mine ended up at BRU. Lots of cancelations as well.

Johan
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, here we go again!

159 KL(C) flights canceled today, the 8th of January.

Why? A northwesterly gale (18 m/s, gusting to 25 m/s) has been forecast.

It used to take a full-blown storm to send then into a cancelation frenzy.

Johan
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yup. Had a message from KLM yesterday saying that this morning's second, connecting leg of our CMB-AMS-LCY was cancelled and offering an 11 hour wait at AMS for the next LCY flight tonight. I managed to get them to put us on the 11am BA flight to LHR, which we've just been told at the AMS lounge won't leave until 2pm. Could be a long day...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet the average wind speed at AMS never exceeded 15 m/s today.

Johan
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
You know, I'll never forget that Bern-Basel ping pong starting at 6 in the morning and going through to 10pm.
Aaaah.... The golden times .... CU in ZRH or AMS lounge one day?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yet the average wind speed at AMS never exceeded 15 m/s today.

Johan
Yeah the BA staff I spoke to implied they thought KL were being rather over-prudent.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horatio
KL were being rather over-prudent.
It has become a bad habit of theirs. All it takes is the slightest intimation that a snowflake or two may perhaps be spotted in the vicinity of Schiphol, or that a gust of wind may ruffle somebody's hair.

They seem to like it that way, so presumably the operational advantages outway the disruption caused to the travel plans of thousands and thousands of passengers.

Johan
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by f4free
Aaaah.... The golden times .... CU in ZRH or AMS lounge one day?
Yes certainly, I'll try to remember to let you know when I will next be there (flying Alitalia from ZRH at 10h45 this Saturday).

Are you going to the Stammtisch in Zurich this Friday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.