Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Xandrios

I have the same complaint as the poster above. The A3 flight (Ams-Ath) was delayed by 57 minutes. The klm flight, with an almost identical departure time, was delayed 3h 20m. With so many flights canceled it could not have been shortage of equipment for sure?

Unfortunately slots don't always make sense on how they are given. Even though so many flights were cancelled the airports ability to service the remaining flights was still limited.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
There may be a few people in e.g. Oslo who do know. You may have heard of the place.
Indeed; however, de-icing can be expected to be required almost daily for extended periods in OSL. As such, it makes sense to have increased staff numbers for the winter, as a large proportion of groundstaff will be tied-up with de-icing and all the other ground handling activities need to be done. As such, planning how many staff are needed is easier when there is a more consistent winter.

Deicing at AMS is a joke. Is there any other major airport in the world that relies on one of its customer airlines to provide a deicing service run by volunteers?

Johan
What makes you think that KLM is the sole provider of de-icing at Schiphol? Their website says only that they are the largest.

And you surely don't think that the "volunteers" are merely untrained, unqualified staff, or indeed the only staff that provide de-icing services; you also surely don't expect that there is a group of underemployed professional de-icers huddling outside Schiphol every morning, not having worked since last February, kicking their heels and waiting, on the off chance that the airport will drive down to round up a group for a day's work who can be called upon when required, in place of the "volunteers" that so irk you.

I would expect ALL airports and organisations, where there are short-term spikes in demand for a certain service, would request volunteers; better that than having employees' leave cancelled unilaterally, and finding yourself temporarily assigned for a duty you didn't indicate a willingness to do.

But let me turn the question around on you - can you name any airport - other than Oslo or any airport that has snow on the ground for more than a month per year - where de-icing does NOT rely on access to trained "volunteers"?

Originally Posted by KLM Blog

How does one plan de-icing, considering the unpredictable Dutch weather?

Because it is almost impossible to predict the winter weather in the Netherlands, it is difficult to assess how many aircraft will need to be de-iced. That means it is difficult to assign personnel. Which is why we work with different kind of staff – around 230 in total – with various working backgrounds.

Permanent staff and volunteers

There is group of permanent de-icers. They ensure that aircraft can be de-iced 24/7. These heroes are supported by a group consisting of permanent de-icers and temps, who do other work when the winter weather is mild. And then there is a team of volunteers who come into action when the weather is at its worst. This team consists of around 45 KLM superheroes who drop whatever they are doing and pull on their de-icing overalls if things get hectic at the CDF. Arjen stresses: “All of these people have earned their de-icing diploma”. Which means they fully clued up on the strict procedures and the many legal and regulatory requirements.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
For those who travel today from Schiphol; it's a big mess here. The estimated waiting times are not correct. Access to Departures 1 and 2 buildings had to be closed this morning. I entered the building through the Departures 3 doors and found mayhem at the staircases towards security. Staff had to close the lines for the boarding pass scanners. Kmar officers on the stairs checking all pax. Lines for security in their maximum capacity. Priority line actively managed but be aware that it might take you a while to get there.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium

Queue towards the staircase of Departures 3. Just after the boarding pass scanners.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: KLM Silver
Yes, pretty chaotic. Small tip... I was not able to get my boarding card from KLM app or website, but got it on the Air France app. May help someone.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I would expect ALL airports and organisations, where there are short-term spikes in demand for a certain service, would request volunteers
I wouldn't, and I hope no other airports besides AMS do.

A professional airport providing a professional deicing service will, if demand is only intermittent and seasonal, not rely on volunteers. Instead, they will select suitably qualified employees and include deicing in their job descriptions. I should imagine that they pick employees who already have useful qualifications and jobs in such fields as engineering, operating heavy vehicles, and so forth; and not secretaries, janitors and what have you.

Even under more normal circumstances, deicing at AMS is slow and cumbersome. If you don't want to compare with OSL, then try CPH (with a climate not much different from AMS). At Schiphol it doesn't really help any either that the deicing facilities at the J apron are very inconventiently located if aircraft are taking off from any other runways than the Zwanenburgbaan and Polderbaan.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
A professional airport providing a professional deicing service will, if demand is only intermittent and seasonal, not rely on volunteers. Instead, they will select suitably qualified employees and include deicing in their job descriptions. I should imagine that they pick employees who already have useful qualifications and jobs in such fields as engineering, operating heavy vehicles, and so forth; and not secretaries, janitors and what have you.
So you think that these tasks are beyond the abilities of "secretaries, janitors and what have you"?

All staff are fully trained. It's not like they go past the staff lounge and grab anyone they find there and march them outside to de-ice planes!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've spoken to a substantial number of affected pax today, in addtion to colleagues who have finally turned up. Mostly KLM passengers, but also Easyjet and Ryanair customers. The unanimous conclusion is that KLM Customer Care suffered a catastrophic breakdown. The vast majority were completely unsuccessful in their attempts to reach anyone at Customer Care at all, by any means. A few lucky ones got hotel accommodation and a very generous £20 per person to pay for meals by queueing for ages at outstations.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To go back to topic, are things expected to get back to normal today? I see the weather forecast mixes clouds and rain and so far all flights look scheduled and on time but what time did ol confirmcancellations in recent days??
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:14 pm

Clouds & Rain is normal AMS weather, should be fine
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:35 am

I preemptively called the VIP line yesterday morning as 2 out of 3 Humberside flights the day before were cancelled, and the early morning one was leaving after the STD of the lunchtime flight. I enquired as to the likelihood of my flight being on time or going at all and was given the advice not to travel via AMS if at all possible.
I was first offered a re-booking on Singapore Airlines, but that would have been too late for my presentation tomorrow.
A re-jig got me on the 13.20 to DXB with an onwards connection to CGK which actually got me in earlier than if I'd waited for the KLM flight (which actually operated).

Great work by the staff, who rebooked me on EK who's service is as good / bad as you expect, rotten on the 380, much better on the 777 due to numbers.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Yes it was cancelled due to crew reasons.
Apparently the situation is so bad KLM had to wet-lease Transavia 737's.
You were absolutely right. I filed complaint on Monday en KLM Customer Service called me today. They told me the reason was a lack of crew. I received apologies and 2 vouchers of € 350 (one for me and one for my wife).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by tff
That's it. It's part of rule 2.7 of the Terms and Conditions: "In the event of a transfer onto an alternative flight due to unforeseen circumstances the Member will earn Level and Award Miles for the flight the Member originally purchased, not for the route flown".
That was quick: I received miles for my original flights today in my account, just 2 days after I sent the request. Customer Service promised me 8000 compensation miles, too. These haven't posted yet.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since my previous post I've spoken to a considerable number of pax who had flights out of AMS, including connecting pax who arrived on KL longhauls. Without exception they were simply left entirely to their own devices, the only option being to wait for many hours in the queue of their choice, without any guarantee of getting any meaningful help.

Complete customer care meltdown.

Johan
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
It's also not entirely reasonable to expect Schiphol to have a huge team of people sitting around doing nothing 360 days out of the year to deal with 5 days of inclement weather, so maybe what they're doing is not entirely a terrible solution.
Indeed, and it is not what I'm suggesting.

What I'm questioning is whether the largest the largest AMS deicing operation should rely on volunteers, people who may perhaps have signed up because they look forward to a break from filing reports in cabinets or sorting bags.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.