Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:56 am

I recently got a voucher due to a delay of more than 3 hours, do you know if it is possible to use a voucher during OLCI for a paid upgrade?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Escape
I recently got a voucher due to a delay of more than 3 hours, do you know if it is possible to use a voucher during OLCI for a paid upgrade?
Just done a test upgrade at OLCI and at the payment stage it allows entry of a voucher, with the usual terms:

"You can redeem max. 2 vouchers per passenger and max. 3 vouchers per booking."

Tomorrow
KL1318 BOD-AMS 8/8 avail. 494 SEK
KL1163 AMS-GOT 8/8 avail. 494 SEK
Escape likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Solevita
KL1318 BOD-AMS 8/8 avail.
KL1163 AMS-GOT 8/8 avail.
I suspect that they only reason that KL still offers J class on shorthaul routes is that they can't stuff their connecting longhaul J pax in coach. If it weren't for that, shorthaul J would have been gone long ago.

Johan
KLBGO likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I suspect that they only reason that KL still offers J class on shorthaul routes is that they can't stuff their connecting longhaul J pax in coach. If it weren't for that, shorthaul J would have been gone long ago.

Johan
I agree, but why not move the curtain forward a little to create a few more rows EC on these? Looking again now the E75 KL1318 does have the typical 2 rows min EBC (still all empty). Made a mistake with KL1163. That's actually 16/16 free. They moved the curtain forward just one row on that on Wednesday, currently 7/12 free in EC.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
I agree, but why not move the curtain forward a little to create a few more rows EC on these?
I thought that's what they do if they need more space in EC (provided J occupation allows).

Last edited by wuzziduzziman; Mar 2, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree, but why not move the curtain forward a little to create a few more rows EC on these?
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
I thought,that's what they do if they need more space in EC (provided J occupation allows).
On 737s the minimum number of J rows is two. The curtain can simply not be moved further forward. Not sure about the Embraers, but it is probably the same there.

The curtain is not always moved forward if loads in J are light. If there's no shortage of seats in coach, they might as well save themselves the effort and let the pax in J spread out. I've seen four or five rows of J with only one or two pax.

Johan
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Got the chance to upgrade to business when I did OLCI this morning from Moscow to Amsterdam tomorrow morning (KLM flight). Now sitting in row one for a cost of approx 6,800 Rouble (approx £85). I took the offer as I have very tight connection onwards to ABZ and there is often extra security checking passports when coming off the flight in AMS.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:22 am

On 737s the minimum number of J rows is two. The curtain can simply not be moved further forward. Not sure about the Embraers, but it is probably the same there.

The curtain is not always moved forward if loads in J are light. If there's no shortage of seats in coach, they might as well save themselves the effort and let the pax in J spread out. I've seen four or five rows of J with only one or two pax.

Johan
Well, both flights went out empty in J, so curtain left open.

Tip - if you want to upgrade you and your family to EC for free, bring a painting! Cabin crew were a bit bemused what to do with it, so invited the parents & 2 kids up to the front to look after it themselves in plenty of space

On KL1163 the purser was hunting out Plats in the cabin to offer them rows in the empty 'J' section after departure, a nice gesture.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Johan
One more thing I was wondering about is, do they move the curtain on the hub only, or also in the outstation?

In some times I expect there can be a lot more assymetrical demand (i.e. connecting out after a wave of incoming longhauls, while flying back in a rather unpopular middle-of-the-day slot)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:09 am

It can be moved anywhere (and even with PAX onboard)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:11 am

On 737s the minimum number of J rows is two. The curtain can simply not be moved further forward.
Brussels Airlines solved this problem nicely: no curtain at all!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
One more thing I was wondering about is, do they move the curtain on the hub only, or also in the outstation?
Also at outstations, it's a job that an F/A with a bit of experience can do in a minute.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by KL895
Also at outstations, it's a job that an F/A with a bit of experience can do in a minute.
Glad to know that moving a curtain requires a bit of experience
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue

The usual €49 ams-nwi upgrade fee
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Flying KLM in May on the following routes;

EDI-AMS-LIM

MEX-AMS-EDI

What are the chances of being offered upgrades at OLCI, and can I find out in advance what the likely costs would be? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.