New Boarding Process

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 16, 17, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jay_dubya
Wiki Link
As discovered by BeantownFlyer, there are lots of details on JetBlue's website
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
"The Group B boarding group will be for those with window seats in the back half of the plane. Group C is for passengers in middle seats in the back and front window seats. Group D is for passengers with aisle seats in the back and middle seats up front, while Group E will be for passengers with aisle seats in the forward part of the aircraft...."

From JetBlue to Unveil New Boarding Process
JetBlue will board those passengers traveling in Mint on aircraft with a Mint cabin as well as those with TrueBlue Mosaic elite status first. The next group, Group A, will be for those passengers in the airline’s Even More Space premium economy-lite seats. In between Group A and Group B, families with small children may board.

The Group B boarding group will be for those with window seats in the back half of the plane. Group C is for passengers in middle seats in the back and front window seats. Group D is for passengers with aisle seats in the back and middle seats up front, while Group E will be for passengers with aisle seats in the forward part of the aircraft.

Smaller aircraft will have one fewer boarding group.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 28, 17, 6:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic
My outbound flight over Thanksgiving was realllllly slow to board using the new process. Plane wasn't full but still took an extra 10 minutes or so.

Flight home was very sparse so we ended up leaving early, which was nice.
Old Nov 29, 17, 2:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
Had a bad experience with the new boarding process today. I was group B and the wife was group D. When they called B and we walked up, they wouldn’t let her in with me. Still don’t know why we got different groups, and every other airline allows you to take guest with you while boarding if they are in a worse zone/group. It just felt like they had no idea what they were doing, and were pretty rude about it.
That... sounds more like they're doing what they are saying they do.
Old Nov 30, 17, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by octr202 View Post
Hmm, perhaps that's a refinement after launch? Flew earlier this month with two travelers on E190 flights, with 20A/B both flights. Boarded with Group B both times, which should be the first general boarding group (i.e., window seats, back half of plane) IIRC?
Yes, it must be a refinement. Especially considering the website still says the opposite!
Old Nov 30, 17, 9:18 am

Programs: B6, DL, UA, AGR
As explained to me, passengers on the same PNR who are checked in at the same time will receive the same boarding group. Other than that, all bets are off. Also, if passengers are in different groups and want to board together, they're going to be asked to board in the later group. Apparently, unwritten that Mosaics can bring people along for an early boarding.
Old Jan 19, 18, 7:30 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Silver, TrueBlue Mosaic, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by EasyD View Post
As explained to me, passengers on the same PNR who are checked in at the same time will receive the same boarding group. Other than that, all bets are off. Also, if passengers are in different groups and want to board together, they're going to be asked to board in the later group. Apparently, unwritten that Mosaics can bring people along for an early boarding.
Has there been any new experiences to report on how this is working lately?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by eagle92 View Post

Thanks in advance.
On the 3 flights I took before Christmas, my girlfriend and I were both in the same boarding group, although one of us was window and the other was middle. We were on same PNRs, and got the earlier (window) boarding group.
I must say I was impressed with the execution of the boarding process. No gate lice for the most part, and people seem to actually wait until their group number is called. Kudos to JetBlue!
Old Jan 20, 18, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Boarding at SFO on Tuesday morning and Mint/Mosaic was called. At least half the people who approached the gate were Group 1, which makes some sense since 1 comes first. The GA turned them away and it was fine but also stupid IMO that JetBlue chose for Group 1 to not be the first group called.
Old Jan 20, 18, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, D23 Charter Member, Southwest A-LIst, JetBlue Mosaic
I flew 3x in the past week. I've noticed that they now allow strollers between Groups A and B. They specifically say strollers and not kids under age XX. Pretty sure they used to say kids under age 2.

I haven't seen much difference otherwise. The EMS folks still hover around the gate area as soon as boarding starts. The group system hasn't changed that.

Last edited by RWPrincess; Jan 20, 18 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Boarding at SFO on Tuesday morning and Mint/Mosaic was called. At least half the people who approached the gate were Group 1, which makes some sense since 1 comes first. The GA turned them away and it was fine but also stupid IMO that JetBlue chose for Group 1 to not be the first group called.
Group 1? It's A, B, C, D, or E. I think they decided to use letters to prevent the misconception that 1 would be first.

Group A has both the potential to be the largest and the smallest group. If on a fully loaded A320, Group A can have up to 42 passengers. But, if the flight isn't full and people declined to purchase EMS seats, Group A can also be the smallest. Group B can have up to 22 passengers, more if same-PNR pax board together. Group C can have up to 36 pax, more if same-PNR pax board together. Group D is the same as Group C, and Group E can have a maximum of 14 pax. Of course, these numbers are all maximums, and are often lower due to Mosaics.

Last edited by diburning; Jan 20, 18 at 11:25 am
Old Jan 21, 18, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Group 1? It's A, B, C, D, or E. I think they decided to use letters to prevent the misconception that 1 would be first.
Yeah, group A. Same difference; A comes first just like 1 does. Mint/Mosaic is still before A and that was confusing to a bunch of folks on my SFO-JFK flight.
Old Jan 25, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yeah, group A. Same difference; A comes first just like 1 does. Mint/Mosaic is still before A and that was confusing to a bunch of folks on my SFO-JFK flight.
Clearly following the Delta model, where Group 1 is the fourth group to board (after Pre-board, Premium, and Sky Priority). On DL, the reason is credit card marketing (your Amex gets you Group 1 boarding!), so perhaps the B6 credit card is going to get Group A boarding at some point.
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:00 pm

So...aisle seats are either Group D or Group E on the Airbus equipment.
On the A321, anyone know what row is the cutoff between the "back" and "front" of the aircraft (assuming front jetway boarding, i.e. not LGB, BUR, etc.)?
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:55 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Thats what it seems like, Red Devil. Frustrating that it seems to punish anyone who likes having the aisle seat.
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Intheair2night View Post
Thats what it seems like, Red Devil. Frustrating that it seems to punish anyone who likes having the aisle seat.

Thank you.
On the A321, anyone know what row is the cutoff between the "back" and "front" of the aircraft (assuming front jetway boarding, i.e. not LGB, BUR, etc.)?
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by eagle92 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Two DP from me (both times, same PNR)

1) Friend checked in using jetblue app on her phone, assigned boarding group A, I'm in Mosaic
2) I check in at the mosaic/mint counter for both of us, both assigned Mosaic

Search this Thread