New Boarding Process

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 16, 17, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jay_dubya
Wiki Link
As discovered by BeantownFlyer, there are lots of details on JetBlue's website
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
"The Group B boarding group will be for those with window seats in the back half of the plane. Group C is for passengers in middle seats in the back and front window seats. Group D is for passengers with aisle seats in the back and middle seats up front, while Group E will be for passengers with aisle seats in the forward part of the aircraft...."

From JetBlue to Unveil New Boarding Process
JetBlue will board those passengers traveling in Mint on aircraft with a Mint cabin as well as those with TrueBlue Mosaic elite status first. The next group, Group A, will be for those passengers in the airlineís Even More Space premium economy-lite seats. In between Group A and Group B, families with small children may board.

The Group B boarding group will be for those with window seats in the back half of the plane. Group C is for passengers in middle seats in the back and front window seats. Group D is for passengers with aisle seats in the back and middle seats up front, while Group E will be for passengers with aisle seats in the forward part of the aircraft.

Smaller aircraft will have one fewer boarding group.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 22, 17, 6:45 pm

I think you are gonna see a lot more passengers board early under the guise of passengers who need a little more time .A little limping goes a long way .Not looking forward to my first flight under the new system, and I'm mosaic and with a fractured ankle/leg to boot
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:47 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 49holding View Post
I'm mosaic and with a fractured ankle/leg to boot
Pun presumably not intended or?
Old Oct 22, 17, 7:56 pm

Pun presumably not intended or?
Cast just off 4 weeks after surgery and wearing the boot
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:23 pm

But I loved JetBlue's boarding the way it was already It was pretty quick and back-to-front was just great, made sitting in the back awesome for carry-ons. I guess I gotta stick to windows now...
Old Oct 22, 17, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
Had a bad experience with the new boarding process today. I was group B and the wife was group D. When they called B and we walked up, they wouldnít let her in with me. Still donít know why we got different groups, and every other airline allows you to take guest with you while boarding if they are in a worse zone/group. It just felt like they had no idea what they were doing, and were pretty rude about it.
Were you both on the same PNR?
Old Oct 23, 17, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
I see this going very poorly.
I am sure of it , this coming from someone who deals with DL's "efficient" boarding process all the time.

On a separate note expect people to board out of zones and large clusters at the gate.

On a positive note it could be worse, this could be AA who still has NINE separate boarding zones.
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:36 pm

After pulling a few strings, I have found a few bits of info that might be useful here.

1. Companions, even if they are on the same PNR, receive boarding groups based on seats, so if Pax 1 has a window seat in the rear, Pax 1 will get Group B. If Pax 2 is in a middle seat next to Pax 1, Pax 2 will get Group C.

2. GAs have discretion as to whether to board people traveling together in the earlier boarding group.

3. Each seat is hard coded with a respective boarding group at this time, although that is subject to change.

Last edited by diburning; Oct 24, 17 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
1. Companions, even if they are on the same PNR, receive boarding groups based on seats, so if Pax 1 has a window seat in the rear, Pax 1 will get Group B. If Pax 2 is in a middle seat next to Pax 1, Pax 2 will get Group B.
That contradicts what you are saying, however. Pax 2 would be in a different group no?
Old Oct 23, 17, 9:52 pm

If you want to board together, you could buy Even More Space seats or achieve Mosaic status. That's pretty much the only way people traveling together won' be separated during the boarding process.
IME most other airline letís you bring up to a certain amount of people with you when they are in a lower group. I would bet this happens in the future for JB, as it makes no sense to break up companions. If Iím mosaic and my companion isnít, thereís no reason they should be allowed to board with me...

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Were you both on the same PNR?
Yes
Old Oct 23, 17, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
IME most other airline letís you bring up to a certain amount of people with you when they are in a lower group. I would bet this happens in the future for JB, as it makes no sense to break up companions. If Iím mosaic and my companion isnít, thereís no reason they should be allowed to board with me...

Actually it doesn't make sense to let people board together from different groups under this scheme. If B6 sticks with the new boarding scheme, where each seat is in a clearly defined group, I do not see this happening. As of now, I've heard agents are doing a great job stopping people from boarding outside of their groups.
Old Oct 24, 17, 5:51 am

That contradicts what you are saying, however. Pax 2 would be in a different group no?
Sorry, typo!
Old Oct 25, 17, 6:31 pm

As of now, I've heard agents are doing a great job stopping people from boarding outside of their groups.
Really? Personally, I can't stand B6 but I had to fly with them recently. I was in boarding zone D. I boarded no worries with A&B.

The scanner doesn't check the boarding zone, and the staff member has no ability to check the zone other than to check my boarding pass (at least not immediately).

I do this all the time on BA/VA/DL without any objection or issues. Norwegian are the only ones at LGW I've seen who enforce these silly boarding zones (yes, I know UA do, but I refuse to patronise them).
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, D23 Charter Member, Southwest A-LIst, JetBlue Mosaic
So I've had round trips to Syracuse and Las Vegas in the past week. 3 different airports and 2 different plane types.

I had some extra time before my flight to SYR so I watched an A320 board at the next gate. It went like this.
1. Disabled/Extra Time
2. Mosaic
3. Kids under 2/Military
4. Group A
5. Group B
6. Group C
7. Group D
8. Group E

There were 2 GAs scanning passes and a 3rd one standing further back in the line checking boarding groups.

Throughout the process, every time a group was called, the GA would mention that all previous groups could also board.(i.e. Groups A, B and C can now board)

I've noticed that they are saying "Disabled" or "Anyone with a disability" rather than "anyone needing extra time". One GA did say both but I'm thinking that may have been out of habit.

On the E190 flight, they made the usual announcement about needing people to gate check bags. Not sure if any did it but as is the case many times, the bins were actually mostly empty. So I'm convinced this is standard GA procedure at this point regardless of the flight load.

I don't ever want to lose my Mosaic status because this seems like a big mess. If the rows were so confusing, then just rename each section of rows with a group number so that parties traveling together can board together.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
EMS = 2a?
Old Oct 27, 17, 6:54 pm

This is all explained on JetBlueís website. I think itís moronic and going to cause a host of unnecessary gate fights, but at least they explain it all

http://mobile.jetblue.com/mt/help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webcgi.exe?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(381591)

Will families or multiple customers traveling together be split up with this new boarding process? As long as youíre on the same reservation and check in together, parties traveling together will be prioritized into the earliest boarding group assigned to that party on the same reservation. If you check in separately, you may be assigned different boarding groups, even if youíre on the same reservation. In this scenario, you are welcome to board in the group you are each assigned, or if youíd prefer to board together, you may board with the latter of the assigned groups in your party.

Search this Thread