Points expiring... ?

Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Points expiring... ?

Hello... So I have some 5,000 JetBlue points expiring on September 20, 2011 which isn't a lot but I would like to save them if I can. I think I might just transfer a small amount of points from AMEX Membership Rewards to keep the account active or do you think if I shop in the shopping mall those points will post by then. I know it says 6-8 weeks but often times I realize it's much quicker. What would you do for activity by September 20?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:32 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Can you buy a cheap magazine subscription to keep the remaining points active?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Sorry, but no all-around. The only way to reset the expiry clock is either fly B6 or have the B6 Amex.

As a "hail-mary" approach, (if you're going to lose the points anyways) try ticketing something like JFK-BOS/BUF/SYR, etc.for some day in the middle of winter for 5,000 pts. Maybe you'll luck out with weather, have the flights canceled/ weather advisory go in effect and you can reset the clock that way.

Another option (just as unlikely) is hope for a schedule change and get a refund of your points.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:17 pm

Any other ways to use or save points?

I don't have enough points to get any ticket, I won't be able to take a flight before my points expire, and I don't want the credit card, so I am assuming there are no other possible ways to either use my current 900 points or prevent them from expiring.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by sharonsimon
I don't have enough points to get any ticket, I won't be able to take a flight before my points expire, and I don't want the credit card, so I am assuming there are no other possible ways to either use my current 900 points or prevent them from expiring.
Your 900 points are valued at about $9.00 toward a flight. At this point it is likely going to cost you at least $9.00 to acquire more JetBlue points. (ie...AMEX JetBlue card w/ approx $49 annual fee, IIRC).

At one time the JetBlue Amex was offering a 20K point sign-up bonus and 10K for referrals to the card. I referred my wife after getting the 20K sign-up bonus and ended up with 30K points. My wife got the 20K and she referred a friend and got another 10K.

The JetBlue Amex sign-up bonus is only 10K now and 5K for referrals. With the annual fee of approx $49 it is hardly worth it IMO. If you see an offer for 20K sign-up it would be well worth it though.

As a last ditch effort, log onto Jetblue.com and look for any points earnings opportunities/offers.

Good luck.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, DL SM, CO
Miles expiration

Originally Posted by bosnyc
Sorry, but no all-around. The only way to reset the expiry clock is either fly B6 or have the B6 Amex.

I can't stress how important this is to understand, as I didn't, and transferred a bunch of Amex MR miles into Trueblue assuming that they would just last forever.

You must either PAY for a flight or have the B6 Amex to extend whatever point balance you have for another year.

I really don't want another Amex card but I also don't want to lose 100K+ of miles either. The whole point of points/miles is not having to pay for a flight. The 20000 miles free (10K up front, 10K after $500 in purchases, $40 annual fee) isn't a bad deal, but I really don't want another credit card....
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kurtbbb
I really don't want another Amex card but I also don't want to lose 100K+ of miles either.
If you have that many miles I highly recommend either using them or sucking it up and getting the CC to keep them alive. That's too much value to kiss goodbye IMO.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
This is a terrible policy. A 12-month expiration date with only being able to fly or be sucked into their credit card is very uncompetitive. Just from searching this forum there seems to be a lot of upset people.

I don't think I'll be flying with them before I lose my 5726 points so I sent a complaint email. Here's what I got back:

We appreciate you reaching out to JetBlue in regards to your TrueBlue points. Please allow us this chance to provide some clarifying information.

While we truly grasp your frustration to hear that your points do have an expiration date, we hope you will consider that we had no intent to mislead you. The terms of TrueBlue state, "The expiration date of all TrueBlue Points in your TrueBlue Program account will be extended to be one year from any date you have a TrueBlue Point credited to your TrueBlue Program account if you engage in one of the following activities: (1) Using the JetBlue Card account for eligible purchases or (2) flying on a revenue JetBlue flight. Eligibility and timing are based upon the date the TrueBlue Point is credited to your TrueBlue Program account from one of the above qualifying activities."

Simply stated, new eligible TrueBlue points (earned from flying JetBlue or the JetBlue American Express card) must post to your account prior to your current points expiring. Points earned from other partners, such as: ShopTrue, car rentals, hotel reservations, Energy Plus, Netflix, and so on are only additional ways to earn TrueBlue points; however, they will not extend the expiration date of your current TrueBlue points.

When members first enrolled in TrueBlue, they are each supplied with a complete list of terms and conditions. These terms must be agreed to before enrollment can be complete. We understand that this is a lot of information and have placed this information on our website, along with in your TrueBlue account.

Brandon, we know you have many options in air travel providers and are sincerely thankful for each time you have chosen JetBlue. It would be our pleasure to continue to welcome you onboard many times in the future!

Sincerely,

M*******
TrueBlue Customer Service Crew
JetBlue Airways
Crewmember XXXXX
I'll probably transfer enough AmEx points to go ahead and take a reward flight, but this is a terrible policy.

Last edited by Seat13c; Nov 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm Reason: Removed JetBlue's Crewmember's Info
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
I wondered about that. I had car rental points purchased with the JB Amex and my expiration date was still the date of the last flight. I wonder why that was. The expiration date did not advance.

Last edited by pete4abw; Nov 13, 2011 at 5:39 am Reason: Update for AMEX purchase
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pete4abw
I wondered about that. I had car rental points purchased with the JB Amex and my expiration date was still the date of the last flight. I wonder why that was. The expiration date did not advance.
If you purchase anything on the branded credit card then those points posting keeps the account alive. The car points posting won't but the transaction points tied to the CC will.

As for the 5700 miles that are expiring, just let 'em go. Or buy an award in the winter and hope the flight gets snowed out.

The policy is towards the more restrictive end in the industry but the airline also seems to feel that they are able to compete without being excessively generous with the program and, from what I've gleaned from their financial reports, they seem to be right.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm still confused about exactly when all my points will expire. Most of my 5700 points will expire in January, but I have a few hundred that were posted in March and April through rental cars.

Here's the response I got:
Thank you for your continued correspondence. We appreciate the opportunity for further clarification.

Points are good for one year from the date issued. To extend that expiration date for an additional
12 months you would be required to generate at least one TrueBlue point to you TrueBlue account, either by flying or by using the JetBlue American Express card.

If you have any additional questions please give JetBlue a call at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) and we would be happy to answer your questions more quickly by phone.
I responded with:
Points are good for one year? Great... so my points that posted to my account after my last flight of Jan 10 will still be there when the rest expire, right?

This is a terrible policy by the way.
And they responded with this:
Thank you for your additional email regarding your TrueBlue points. Yes, any points that posted to your account after your last flight of January 10, 2011 will still be in your account until their expiration date. The terms and conditions of our TrueBlue program can be viewed online at jetblue.com if you have any additional questions regarding our program guidelines.

We do regret to hear of your disappointment with the expiration date attached to your TrueBlue points, and we appreciate your candid feedback. One of the key components to our success to date -- and in the future -- is based on listening to our customers. You can trust that your comments have been forwarded to the TrueBlue Leadership Team for their review.

Please understand that even though the results from this situation are not as you would have liked them to be, we do value you as a JetBlue customer and we look forward to serving you again onboard your future flights.
So I *think* I'll still have those few hundred points even after the rest expire in Jan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.