Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Think you're right and I've always thought things might be better in Japan than elsewhere, but.....

1. Japan is under-testing.
Everyone is under-testing. But as I said previously, you're not seeing overcrowded hospitals like other countries that Japan had a headstart on like Italy.

2. Sunday (which produces Monday test results) is a slow day at the hospitals.
The 3/9 Monday number was 28, after which we saw a spike to 59, so today's number will be interesting (so far we've seen the first reported cases from Ibaraki and Kagawa Prefectures)

3. Seems too good to be true, but let's hope for the best.
Seems that lots of young people think this is already a done deal. Plenty of young people out and about on dates and gatherings and what-not. But hey, let's see how it all plays out.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Things are still relatively normal here in Ehime.

Everyone is wearing masks however and you get glared at if you have a cough and a splutter.

It seems REALLY weird to me that Japan has such a head start on Europe and yet has much fewer cases....I'm supposed to be moving back to the UK in the Autumn for my daughters schooling. I wonder how that's going to roll and if I'll have a flight I can get on....I hope so...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Things are still relatively normal here in Ehime.
Here at Akita situation is similar. It is more of normal and I think people at Akita thinks "Tokyo is getting hit hard by Corona virus..." In Japan people wore masks during winter flu season even before this Corona virus so seeing people wearing masks alone does not look any different for me...

Yes, I think Japan got lucked out on Corona virus situation. Some schools in Japan where there were no Corona virus case are re-opening. Takarazuka Revue is re-starting their shows. Sumo is being broadcaster as usual with empty seats, baseball season opening games are same.

At this moment my concern is that getting back to the U.S. without and restrictions...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH M+M
How do you actually translate this? Japan to order self-quarantine for all travelers from Europe--media : The Asahi Shimbun

Bit amazed that many people wear masks, but all the 7-11/FM/Lawson around here dont have any.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
At this moment my concern is that getting back to the U.S. without and restrictions...
I flew back yesterday from Japan. Was not asked a single question by customs about where I've traveled, how I felt, etc. I suspect you'll be fine.

ETA: Things are definitely much calmer in Japan. Nobody seems too concerned, except for the hotels who are at record low occupancy.

Even if Japan has beaten the virus, given how bad things have escalated elsewhere, I really don't see how the Olympics would move ahead as planned.

Last edited by invalyd; Mar 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:03 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

A Chinese Student who attends college in New York City trying to fly home to Shanghai. Most of the flights stop by Japan NRT. Just wonder if where is any restriction on the transit. I do not see any now. The student is healthy.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by invalyd
I flew back yesterday from Japan. Was not asked a single question by customs about where I've traveled, how I felt, etc. I suspect you'll be fine.

ETA: Things are definitely much calmer in Japan. Nobody seems too concerned, except for the hotels who are at record low occupancy.

Even if Japan has beaten the virus, given how bad things have escalated elsewhere, I really don't see how the Olympics would move ahead as planned.
Thanks, hope situation in the U.S. regarding international arriving passengers (specifically from Japan) will not change in next a week or so.

The news in Japan now is that IOC and involved organizations had a conference call and they seemed to all agreed that at this moment Olympics at Tokyo will go as planned. Just the fact that at many countries qualifying events for athletes are being postponed. Tokyo Olympics is not just about Japan and some are already wondering how they will pull off Olympics as scheduled. Alright, there is a separate posts about Tokyo Olympics...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
As expected, sumo wrestler Chiyomaru's coronavirus test came back negative.

Yesterday only 17 cases of coronavirus were noted in Japan, the smallest number since March 1st. What's quite notable is that only a case in Gunma came from the Kanto area.

Of all the G7 countries, Japan seems by far the best off at this juncture.
Japan gives me the most hope in the sea of apocalyptic scenarios..
The never locked ppl down like china, kept the borders open, released cruise ship pax, not in hot climate, lots of elderly and very high urban population density.. and yet we are no seeing the outcomes of spain, italy etc..
does a bow vs handshake and kisses and good hygiene really make such a difference?
Loren Pechtel and rustykettel like this.

Last edited by azepine00; Mar 17, 2020 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
A Chinese Student who attends college in New York City trying to fly home to Shanghai. Most of the flights stop by Japan NRT. Just wonder if where is any restriction on the transit. I do not see any now. The student is healthy.

Any help is appreciated.
I am not an official so don't want to be quoted as a reliable source, but past weekend when I flew in from Boston transit at NRT looked same as usual. Now transit passengers arriving from the U.S. can just walk into departure gate area without going through transit security, that was still the case.

Flights to China and South Korea were cancelled out of Boston so looked like many passengers form those flights were re-booked into Tokyo flight. CX has reduced BOS-HKG flights to three/twice per week, JL which is still operating BOS-NRT daily seems to be doing well. OneWorld partner AA has reduced Japan flights to three per week DFW-NRT only, with all these consider where JL has not announced any reduction of flights to the U.S., possible that JL is doing pretty well on the U.S. routes considering the current situation.
RedSun likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00
Japan gives me the most hope in the sea of apocalyptic scenarios..
The never locked ppl down like china, kept the borders open, released cruise ship pax, not in hot climate and have very high urban population density.. and yet we are no seeing the outcomes of spain, italy etc..
does a bow vs handshake and kisses and good hygiene really make such a difference?
I do not think Italians, Germans and Americans have any hygiene issues.

But it does have a lot to do with culture and government.

Japan has gone through frequent major disasters, storms and Tsunami, earthquake, SARS, swine flue etc. So all levels of governments are well prepared. Its health system is also more prepared for all kinds of disasters. Also, Japanese people are more disciplined and obey the government much better.

But the western cultures are more relaxed. Nation-wise, there have not been that many large scale disasters in Italy, France, Spain and US. So the governments are not prepared for this war-like crisis. And the citizens are not like Japanese who are disciplined and obey the government. Many people hit bars and beaches after the government and health officials repeatly asking people to stay home.

Clearwater FL Beaches:
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Flights to China and South Korea were cancelled out of Boston so looked like many passengers form those flights were re-booked into Tokyo flight. CX has reduced BOS-HKG flights to three/twice per week, JL which is still operating BOS-NRT daily seems to be doing well. OneWorld partner AA has reduced Japan flights to three per week DFW-NRT only, with all these consider where JL has not announced any reduction of flights to the U.S., possible that JL is doing pretty well on the U.S. routes considering the current situation.
JL cuts, including BOS, via post today in the JL forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32196862-post165.html
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:17 pm
Suspended

I am not an official so don't want to be quoted as a reliable source, but past weekend when I flew in from Boston transit at NRT looked same as usual. Now transit passengers arriving from the U.S. can just walk into departure gate area without going through transit security, that was still the case.

United still sells tickets from EWR/JFK - NRT-PVG. So I assume this route is as normal. As long as the traveler stays inside the terminal, there should not be visa requirement. This is just like any other international transit at the same airport/terminal.

A couple other flights stop at Taiwan. But that seems more like a detour. It seems more complicated in terms of the other logistics.

Last edited by RedSun; Mar 17, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Ended up flying back to SFO yesterday afternoon. Haneda was a ghost town. I was the only pax in the NH F lounge. At least 20 staffers. Flight had about 50 people on board. SFO immigration and customs was empty. No lines, no wait, plane to curb in 4 min. No checks outbound or inbound, although they did ask if I’d been to China, South Korea or Iran briefly when they took my Global Entry receipt.

Bay Area is under lockdown. Feels far far worse here than Japan, quality of life is going down and worker productivity as well - not to mention the obvious economic impact.

Grace period on the car lease ends tomorrow, so here I am. Didn’t want them to declare it stolen.
LapLap, evergrn, invalyd and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by RedSun

But it does have a lot to do with culture and government.
I honestly don't trust the Japanese government with things like this.

An in-law had an active case of TB - I couldn't believe it when they didn't even request anyone else get tested (someone has a highly contagious disease and the policy is to not test others in close contact with that person). Vaccine preventable diseases are known to be a problem in Japan (to the point where the CDC issues advisories and rubella is in the news for thousands of infections).
evergrn likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Bay Area is under lockdown. Feels far far worse here than Japan, quality of life is going down and worker productivity as well - not to mention the obvious economic impact.
Yeah it sucks.
Up in Washington state: all restaurants/bars banned; all gyms closed; every ski resort closed; all non-emergent medical services shut down at hospitals; no gatherings of >50 people.
But the Korea example has shown that you really need this type of austere lockdown for a couple months to give yourself the best shot at containment.

Originally Posted by acregal
I honestly don't trust the Japanese government with things like this.

An in-law had an active case of TB - I couldn't believe it when they didn't even request anyone else get tested (someone has a highly contagious disease and the policy is to not test others in close contact with that person). Vaccine preventable diseases are known to be a problem in Japan (to the point where the CDC issues advisories and rubella is in the news for thousands of infections).
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.