Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group Red:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group Yellow:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group Blue:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote dlvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
I think part of it to is that folks here tend to work within guidelines en masse better than many places.
I have to remain hopeful that this holds true............we are only into Week 1 of Super-Gaman , do you believe the public response will be like 2011 ?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:26 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I have to remain hopeful that this holds true............we are only into Week 1 of Super-Gaman , do you believe the public response will be like 2011 ?
This is a big year for me, I have to hope people will come together (figuratively of course ).
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by invalyd
That sounds pretty high considering the circumstances. What's the typical occupancy rate for them?
I mean, if there's nothing to do but panic, might as well head down there for a drink. My guess is hotel guests feel more comfortable staying nearby.
The property has staff checking EVERY persons temperature upon entering every one of the many hotel entrances. I was checked twice in 5 minutes as I entered the lobby and then went upstairs to be checked again at The Oak Door.

The lobby and public places are nearly empty.

Normal occupancy at the property is over 95%, usually 98%+, and often 100% - per the GM.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
What is Jpn's secret for containment? (on paper, at least)
Originally Posted by mjm
I think part of it to is that folks here tend to work within guidelines en masse better than many places.
Are the requirements for testing when clearly displaying symptoms still having come in close contact with a traveler who went to a COVID-19 hot spot? Basically, if you only test 5,948 people https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/newpage_09993.html by March 4, somehow down from 8,111 total (from start of coronavirus) the day before https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/newpage_09964.html... I hope they've expanded testing as community travel for "unknown source" is pretty evident by this point in Japan.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/asia/...ntl/index.html

I've seen the mini community buses to help seniors get about in less business oriented cities, especially to senior centers to get assistance and socialize. That's probably a good place to step up the social distancing and closures, even though it may be tough to lose that social contact. These are the same seniors who have survived quite a lot and trust in cash, though, so they may mentally be more resilient than I think.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by evergrn
What is Jpn's secret for containment? (on paper, at least)
The secret is heavily discouraging people from getting tested, then not testing a lot of those that still want to take the risk of getting tested.
An in-law had active TB a few years ago and while that person was treated, there was no effort at all to determine how that person got infected or if that person had infected anyone else.

I work for a big foreign company, so we are being forced to work from home and basically all business trips have been cancelled.
My wife works for a Japanese company (number 2 in the field in Japan) and they have been told in no uncertain terms that if they test positive for coronavirus, it will disrupt numerous projects at the company and cause a lot of trouble, which will then be reflected in their evaluation - so basically people have been ordered to not be tested. Working from home isn't allowed and all business trips are still on.

I did have to go to work one day this week, and there was a security guard checking everyone's temperature. Of course, there was one thermometer which wasn't being cleaned at all.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkskyline
From the HK press, yes, and it is pretty much a blanket ban for entry. Visa-free arrangement has been canceled, while no tourist visas will be issued to HK passport holders.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...tors-china-and
I had seen that headline but, while suggestive, it doesn't explicitly say that Hong Kong is included in the quarantine rule, just that they would have to get visas like mainlanders.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by ainternational
We need a FT Japan coronavirus Corona beer DO. Out of respect for the bar and restaurant owners who are suffering falling revenues due to a lack of gaijin in town.
I like this idea, provided it's okay if I'm nursing a single malt in place of a Corona. I'm currently on Day 5 of 10 of mandatory WFH, and I've got a bit of cabin fever.

However, I definitely don't miss my coworkers walking up to my desk to chit-chat or asking me to do more things for them. Give and take, I guess.

Last edited by Mizunara; Mar 5, 2020 at 11:42 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: TK Elite
I live in France, we're expecting transition to stage 3 of the epidemic by early next week. I was worried about going to Japan end of April but the situation seems to be getting worse here! Let's see what happens by then. I work for France's largest insurance company, we're expecting an announcement to go full time Home Office for the rest of March in the next few days.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Mizunara
I like this idea, provided it's okay if I'm nursing a single malt in place of a Corona. I'm currently on Day 5 of 10 of mandatory WFH, and I've got a bit of cabin fever.

However, I definitely don't miss my coworkers walking up to my desk to chit-chat or asking me to do more things for them. Give and take, I guess.
Lets move this conversation over to the Meet FlyerTalkers in Japan sticky thread.

Tokyo CoronaDO FT meetup thread here.
Mizunara likes this.

Last edited by ainternational; Mar 6, 2020 at 1:05 am
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not being fluent in Japanese removes me somewhat in following News of Covid-19 in Japan the way I follow it in England and Spain, but what is really striking me is the (obviously political) decision to go after the younger demographic and blame them for spread. Those who aren’t submitting to the Super-Gaman ™️ austerity measures are being aggressively scapegoated.

I guess that’s another feature of selective testing, you can make the results serve the narrative of your choice.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Akita becomes I believe the fourth prefecture to get its first COVID-19 infection from a passenger released as "clean" from the Diamond Princess. This was once comedic, but now it's just plain sad. Time for another Abe deflection?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:23 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by LapLap
Not being fluent in Japanese removes me somewhat in following News of Covid-19 in Japan the way I follow it in England and Spain, but what is really striking me is the (obviously political) decision to go after the younger demographic and blame them for spread. Those who arent submitting to the Super-Gaman ️ austerity measures are being aggressively scapegoated.

I guess thats another feature of selective testing, you can make the results serve the narrative of your choice.
This is an interesting observation. I am curious to read this myself as what I see here is young people acting uber paranoid about being sick and older people sort of chilling about it all. But even before that, yes, this is a great scapegoat epidemic.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
This is an interesting observation. I am curious to read this myself as what I see here is young people acting uber paranoid about being sick and older people sort of chilling about it all. But even before that, yes, this is a great scapegoat epidemic.
from one source quickly:
Teen virus blues: Feeling bored, lonely at home, no place to roam : The Asahi Shimbun
Young adults said most likely to unknowingly spread virus : The Asahi Shimbun
3 people at Osaka concert venue found infected with coronavirus : The Asahi Shimbun
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:46 am
mjm
Original Member

Thank you for posting that. An interesting read x 3. Here it is more about corporate level responsibility needing to be taken. The kids are largely forgotten. What intrigues me is how poorly parents communicate with their kids here. It has been that way since well before the epidemic. The handoff of raising the kids to the school at about age 6 seems to really bearing bad fruit now. The sheer angst of parents from ot having a clue how to deal with their kids right now is an oft repeated theme in the office.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: LH M+M
Some practical question.. coming to Tokyo on 16th. What sanitizer to buy at 7-11, family-mart, .. if available at all, here in Germany it's pointless to even ask.
Pics or Kanji.. looking just for a 100ml or so for "on the road emergency" where soap+sink isn't available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.