Shinkansen Gran Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shinkansen Gran Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
You can still use gran class with a jr pass, you just have to pay the $80 upgrade fee. It’s not worth it unless you want to experience it for the hell of it. And taking the train to Sapporo is only recommended if you have tons of time, it is a pretty long journey.
I took the train from Tokyo to Sapporo before, when the shinkansen only went to Shin-aomori. It was an overnight train, had to pay a supplement and then another fare or whatever (got a sleeper, forget how how much it was? 15,000 or something?). Quite an experience.
Also stopped in Hakodate and got amazing fresh seafood (didn't know about uni-don, but for 1,500 why not? Guy breaks two large fresh uni on top of rice and hands it to me).
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
While it's easy to find which Shinkansen have Gran Class... not sure which ones have cabin attendants.

(Personally, curious about the Nagano to Tokyo route... but which schedule/site specifies if a cabin attendant [and therefore snacks, slippers, eye mask] will be present)

Last edited by shuuy; Feb 2, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shuuy
While it's easy to find which Shinkansen have Gran Class... not sure which ones have cabin attendants.

(Personally, curious about the Nagoya to Tokyo route... but which schedule/site specifies if a cabin attendant [and therefore snacks, slippers, eye mask] will be present)
Please kindly first do a research on which routes have Gran Class!?!?!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it was inevitable that Gran Class would be confused with Green Class. Bet this happens a LOT.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
https://www.nre.co.jp/ga/tabid/375/Default.aspx
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
I guess it was inevitable that Gran Class would be confused with Green Class. Bet this happens a LOT.
Not sure I understand. I think there's two types of Gran Class - one with a cabin attendant, and one without ("seat only"). The hard product is the same; the service is different. Not clear to tell which is which (although my Tokyo - Nagano route I believe will have an attendant)

Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
"Seat only service" Gran Class routes / train # :
????????????????????? ? Gran Class ? meets??? | JR???

Main Gran Class website with description on seat, service and amenities
Gran Class ? meets??? | JR???
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I understand.
I think what you are missing here is that there is no Gran Class of any kind between Tokyo and Nagoya.

Did you mean Nagano?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I understand. I think there's two types of Gran Class - one with a cabin attendant, and one without ("seat only"). The hard product is the same; the service is different. Not clear to tell which is which (although my Tokyo - Nagano route I believe will have an attendant)

What's a "shoe belly?" And why would you need to rent a timetable?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
The timetable would the big book version, which is for sale (not free) and rent (Japanese meaning) is borrow(ie free rental).
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
Is there an online source (in English) for which Gran Class lines have a cabin attendant?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JakeMorgan
Is there an online source (in English) for which Gran Class lines have a cabin attendant?
Gran Class (No Beverage or Light Meal Service) trains

Gran Class with an attendant with light meal and drink service are offered only on Hayabusa which runs between Tokyo - Shin Hakodate Hokuto and Hakutaka which runs between Tokyo and Kanazawa.

Following Gran Class does not have an attendant nor light meal and drink service.

Tohoku/Hokkaido Shinkansen:
All Nasuno, Hayata, and Yamabiko with Gran Class
Hayabusa which runs only on Tokyo - Sendai and Sendai - Morioka/Shin Aomori/Shin Hakodate Hokuto

Hokuriku/Jyouetsu Shinkansen:
All Asama, Toki, and Tanigawa wiht Gran Class
Hakutaka which runs only on Nagano - Kanazawa
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What's a "shoe belly?"
In case you’re still interested... Likely referring to something to hold your shoes when you take them off during the ride. Pretty funny translation!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
In case you’re still interested... Likely referring to something to hold your shoes when you take them off during the ride. Pretty funny translation!
I think it’s probably a shoe horn (kutsu bera).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.