FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Shinkansen Gran Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1893640-shinkansen-gran-class.html)

5khours Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Shinkansen Gran Class

Anybody else tried this yet? I rode it on the Hokuriku line recently. Probably not worth the money, but I have to say the seats were extremely comfortable. Free food and drink ( but the food was pretty mediocre.) Very quiet. Power outlets at every seat. There are 6 rows of 3 seats. A single and a pair of seats in each row. The single seat is very private. Lighting is good (not overly bright like a lot of Shinkansen cars.) Windows are a little small (not great if you like watching the scenery.)

FlitBen Feb 13, 2018 10:11 pm

What were the other riders like? Where they Granny, too?

freecia Feb 13, 2018 11:09 pm

I rode in Gran Class on the Hayabusa from Shin-Aomori to Tokyo in 2016. The other passengers were adults except for a (very quiet) cat in a carrier. Well, the cat could have been an adult, but I didn't see much of it during a quick glance of the carrier while on the platform.

FlitBen Feb 14, 2018 12:51 am

I always thought that cats were born adult but just didn't know it.

LCUF Feb 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Only if JR Pass starts offering Gran Class level passes! (One can dream)

ETHFlyer Feb 21, 2018 2:37 pm

You can still use gran class with a jr pass, you just have to pay the $80 upgrade fee. It’s not worth it unless you want to experience it for the hell of it. And taking the train to Sapporo is only recommended if you have tons of time, it is a pretty long journey.

kaka Feb 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ETHFlyer (Post 29443455)
You can still use gran class with a jr pass, you just have to pay the $80 upgrade fee. It’s not worth it unless you want to experience it for the hell of it. And taking the train to Sapporo is only recommended if you have tons of time, it is a pretty long journey.

i agree with this point. i did it just because i wanted to experience the tunnel and i had the pass paid for. 5 hours on train (To Hakodate) vs 1.5 hours on a plane is LOL. Hakodate to Sapporo is another 6 hours i think.
(Since this is FT and I assume the reader is a non-Japanese citizen) I'd pay 14040 per flight (or 10800 if you flew with a Oneworld airline on a non-Oneway ticket) and get to the city in 3 hours and a bit.

you can pay the same 80 USD to upgrade to plane first class.

PS: If you already bought a JR Pass and has nowhere else to go beyond sapporo, then stop by aomori and hakodate. you get some good views at hakodate and good tuna, scallops and apple at aomori

FlitBen Feb 22, 2018 4:11 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 29444793)
i agree with this point. i did it just because i wanted to experience the tunnel and i had the pass paid for. 5 hours on train (To Hakodate) vs 1.5 hours on a plane is LOL. Hakodate to Sapporo is another 6 hours i think. -i

The difference might seem less problematic once you factor in the time spent going to/from the airports and through their hassles.

beep88 Feb 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ETHFlyer (Post 29443455)
You can still use gran class with a jr pass, you just have to pay the $80 upgrade fee.

The upgrade fee is the FULL "seat fee" for gran class, not the ¥ difference between gran and green / ordinary class with your JR pass.

This is standard if you want to upgrade from a JR pass, be it from non-Reserved to Reserved (i.e. JR West passes), or Ordinary to Green class. You pay the full seat fee for the class you want to sit in, not the fare difference. There is no additional charge, or refund if you downgrade.

The rail pass is valid only for the "fare" portion if you want to upgrade.  So the upgrade to gran class costs the same whether you have a green or ordinary pass.

I'd pay 14040 per flight (or 10800 if you flew with a Oneworld airline on a non-Oneway ticket) and get to the city in 3 hours and a bit.

10800 fare available for anyone travelling on any airline internationally to/from Japan, with ANA Experience Japan Fare.

Even the JAL Explorer Pass (same 10800 or less to Sapporo) doesn't require Oneworld international ticket.

kaka Feb 23, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by FlitBen (Post 29445466)
The difference might seem less problematic once you factor in the time spent going to/from the airports and through their hassles.

Hassle? In Japan?
Checkin close 20 mins in adv and security is a breeze (Even more of a breeze with status) plus HND is like what, 30 minutes away from the city? Unless you're AT Tokyo station you'll still need to get to tokyo station. And you need to go around the station too (Ok, Shinagawa or Ueno is better...)
I would draw the line at Tokyo-Kyoto; anything further, it's the plane.

FlitBen Feb 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 29449932)
Hassle? In Japan?
Checkin close 20 mins in adv and security is a breeze (Even more of a breeze with status) plus HND is like what, 30 minutes away from the city? Unless you're AT Tokyo station you'll still need to get to tokyo station. And you need to go around the station too (Ok, Shinagawa or Ueno is better...)
I would draw the line at Tokyo-Kyoto; anything further, it's the plane.

Yes, it would be better starting from near Ueno or Tokyo station, which is where I'd be booked anyway. But it would only seem somewhat less of a hassle with big bags along, for which I'd factor another hour at both airports. With the difference narrowed by 1.5 hours, a scenic Shinkansen trip would start to look nice, especially as it would be our first further north and we'd be able to make stops along the way using a pass.

Pickles Feb 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Hakodate to Sapporo is another 6 hours i think.

Under 4 hours, actually. But it's a pretty scenic ride.

LCUF Feb 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 29452092)
Under 4 hours, actually. But it's a pretty scenic ride.

The wait for the Hakodate to Sapporo section to complete in 2031 (hopefully!) so I can take it from Sapporo all the way to Kagoshima using a JR pass. That would be epic.

FlitBen Feb 26, 2018 12:15 am

Originally Posted by LC USC (Post 29455090)
The wait for the Hakodate to Sapporo section to complete in 2031 (hopefully!) so I can take it from Sapporo all the way to Kagoshima using a JR pass. That would be epic.

Yonder! That may add up to almost a day's worth. Would you do it in one go?

LCUF Feb 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlitBen (Post 29459123)
Yonder! That may add up to almost a day's worth. Would you do it in one go?

Nah, that just means a very long holiday vacation LOL. If you do it during cherry blossom season, you can do it all over Japan? That could be interesting. Or the fall/winter where they got evening light shows for all those castles. Probably worth the 2+ weeks vacation on major cities. That could be the start of something else entirely. Especially with 2 weeks JR Pass. One can dream right?