Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 7:20 am

Life Ikejiri
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:48 pm

My dad showed me some of his limited edition bottles from yamazaki and hakushu made for www shop in osaka and some owners bottles he got from some small restaurants in proximity to yamazaki. Some cool 300ml, some 180ml, some 700ml....so many odd things I'd never seen. In addition, many 18 and 12 and 10 year from yoichi, yamazaki, miagakyo, and even a little bottle of 10 year old hakushu. His comment, son, there will always be another must have object in your life....your mission.....find the object before the hoards. He said too many hoards looking for largely irrelevant whiskey in japan. Haha, he also sold some fake crap at auction...sorry, I mean label from Japan but clearly not.
nnn and invalyd like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:43 am

Liquor Mountain 777 new cabinets

Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Wow, loving all of the Nikka there, but the prices are a touch on the insane side.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Wow, loving all of the Nikka there, but the prices are a touch on the insane side.
Indeed! It’s like they put very little thought into assessing even the current aftermarket price and just slapped on some huge round figures.

Then again, Liquor Mountain bear my house charges 20,000 for Yama 12 so it’s not surprising.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Fair warning, low rent palate here.

To me, Toki is not very good and I like Kakubin. My feeling of Toki is it's mixer level quality and designed to capitalize off of the popularity of Japanese whisky and the Suntory name. Very happy with NFTB when it's available but as you find it, like most actual Japanese whiskies in the US, it is quite steep both compared to prices in Japan and to non-Japanese whiskies.
Boraxo, MSYtoJFKagain and Mizunara like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rustykettel

To me, Toki is not very good and I like Kakubin. My feeling of Toki is it's mixer level quality and designed to capitalize off of the popularity of Japanese whisky and the Suntory name.
Its a highball whisky, and also marketed as such. Personally I think it makes a great highball, which is otherwise difficult to find in the US.
rustykettel likes this.

Last edited by invalyd; Aug 9, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:44 am

Anyone here tried the new Ichiro's 505? My local bartender buddy offered me a bottle at retail (15,000 yen) but it seems a bit high for a world blend. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on that or not...
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Anyone here tried the new Ichiro's 505? My local bartender buddy offered me a bottle at retail (15,000 yen) but it seems a bit high for a world blend. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on that or not...
While curious enough to grab a dram if I come across it at a bar, I won’t bite either, not for a world blend.
Mizunara likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I have a bottle waiting for me in Japan. Its being sold elsewhere for 25,000+ so I think you should grab it at retail. Especially since the whole concept of the release is to help out the local bars, I don't mind paying a bit more.
By the way, it has a composition of much more malt than grain compared to the typical Ichiro's white label.
I have heard it is delicious.

Last edited by invalyd; Aug 9, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by rustykettel

To me, Toki is not very good and I like Kakubin. My feeling of Toki is it's mixer level quality and designed to capitalize off of the popularity of Japanese whisky and the Suntory name. Very happy with NFTB when it's available but as you find it, like most actual Japanese whiskies in the US, it is quite steep both compared to prices in Japan and to non-Japanese whiskies.
Sure glad someone else mentioned Toki.

I bought a bottle for a friend in the USA, without tasting it. Now I am looking to purchase a bottle IN Japan so at least I can say I tried it. Is this an export-only item?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
I have a bottle waiting for me in Japan. Its being sold elsewhere for 25,000+ so I think you should grab it at retail. Especially since the whole concept of the release is to help out the local bars, I don't mind paying a bit more.
By the way, it has a composition of much more malt than grain compared to the typical Ichiro's white label.
I have heard it is delicious.
I guess why not order one and try it out! He did tell me I could order more than one bottle but one is good for now. I guess I am also getting another bottle of Hibiki 21 from him at 25,000 yen! This is going to be an expensive order for the month!
invalyd likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Hundreds of bottles available on Japan auction sites, selling in the 18,000 - 20,000 yen range.
james21_h likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:16 am

A throwback to simpler times

Nearly 10 years ago!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
Nearly 10 years ago!
Yea I miss the good old time! But one thing to consider, the exchange rate was 1 USD to ~70 yen back then. Which would put Hakushu 12 to $80-85 USD range. I would say the best year was 2013 - 2015 when a lot of things were still readily available (Yamazaki 12 was 7300 yen, 2014 LE was 8000 yen, H17 was 9,000 yen) and exchange rate was 1 USD to ~120 yen! Oh well, it's 2020 now and nothing good is on the shelves...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.