Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by kkl
Assuming one is lucky enough to score multiple bottles at duty free, is it possible to load up hand carry sized luggage and head land side to check in additional luggage?
Do not assume you can easily go from departure airside back to departure landside easily especially in international airports with exit passport controls. I made this mistake once in TPE and it resulted in quite a debacle (for other reasons). It would be better to try checking the bag at the gate, but you need to check with the carrier if it's possible.
AndyYamazaki likes this.

Last edited by jashsu; Feb 22, 2020 at 12:54 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:35 pm

Corona Virus

Anyone heading to Japan anytime soon should take note that the Suntory Yamazaki and Hakushu distilleries are temporarily shutting down their distillery tours in response to the corona virus outbreak.

oopsz and invalyd like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
Anyone heading to Japan anytime soon should take note that the Suntory Yamazaki and Hakushu distilleries are temporarily shutting down their distillery tours in response to the corona virus outbreak.

Nikka has also closed their distilleries to visitors. I think it's the right move for the safety of their staff.

​​​​​
AndyYamazaki likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:23 pm

I read previous posts on how to order from Amazon japan and ship to local tokyo hotels.

anyone try other sites such as yahoo auction, Rakuten, etc?

looking at used clothes at mercari, I was not able to create an account (other than using buyee as a foreigner )

not sure if yahoo auction , yahoo shopping , Rakuten allows foreigners to ship to local Tokyo hotels .

thank you
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
I read previous posts on how to order from Amazon japan and ship to local tokyo hotels.

anyone try other sites such as yahoo auction, Rakuten, etc?

looking at used clothes at mercari, I was not able to create an account (other than using buyee as a foreigner )

not sure if yahoo auction , yahoo shopping , Rakuten allows foreigners to ship to local Tokyo hotels .

thank you
​​​​​​
unless you have a japanese phone number, you'll need to use a proxy service.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:34 pm

Ok. Amazon worked. Mercari didn’t but I think they check for a jp email address
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Ok. Amazon worked. Mercari didn’t but I think they check for a jp email address
Mercari also verifies that you have a Japanese phone number and credit card. In any case, you should be careful ordering off Mercari as you are purchasing second hand goods and many of the people selling there are not familiar with proper shipping practices, etc. You may end up with a damaged bottle and will have little to no recourse. Ask a Japanese friend to help you if you are really intent on ordering.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by invalyd
In any case, you should be careful ordering off Mercari as you are purchasing second hand goods and many of the people selling there are not familiar with proper shipping practices, etc.
Not to mention the unknown number of fakes being sold on Mercari... it was a big story a couple years ago, when two guys were caught and arrested for selling fake Hibiki 30. Real bottles and boxes, but fake juice.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Not to mention the unknown number of fakes being sold on Mercari... it was a big story a couple years ago, when two guys were caught and arrested for selling fake Hibiki 30. Real bottles and boxes, but fake juice.
Yup, I'm seeing an alarming number of fake bottles on the second hand market these days, it's really crazy. Typically for more expensive limited edition bottles, but my friend also purchased a regular H21 which was clearly a refill.
groovbusta likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:59 am

As the Yamazaki 55 site has changed, does anyone remember when the results of the lottery is out? There was a window, but forget the start date....
Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
As the Yamazaki 55 site has changed, does anyone remember when the results of the lottery is out? There was a window, but forget the start date....
They would start contacting winners end of Feb.
Wouldn't get your hopes up though, I have heard from a reliable source that bar and restaurants will be getting preference, and it is not quite a random lottery drawing.
AndyYamazaki likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:31 pm

They would start contacting winners end of Feb.
Wouldn't get your hopes up though, I have heard from a reliable source that bar and restaurants will be getting preference, and it is not quite a random lottery drawing.
I heard indirectly from a Suntory US source that the 100 bottles are for individuals. There is a separate allocation for bars. Also there will be a small allocation for US bars but no lottery. Take it with a grain of salt.
AndyYamazaki likes this.

Last edited by jashsu; Feb 29, 2020 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by jashsu
I heard indirectly from a Suntory US source that the 100 bottles are for individuals. There is a separate allocation for bars. Also there will be a small allocation for US bars but no lottery. Take it with a grain of salt.
I have a hard time believing Suntory will make a 750ml bottle of this for US release. They've never done so for Yamazaki 35 or 50, don't see why they would start for an even more limited product.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:30 pm

I have a hard time believing Suntory will make a 750ml bottle of this for US release. They've never done so for Yamazaki 35 or 50, don't see why they would start for an even more limited product.
Just passing along what I heard.
daizawaguy and AndyYamazaki like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:33 am

Any recent sightings of Suntory / Taketsuru?

It’s definely encouraging seeing on the bulletin board here and on Twitter that people are able to buy the duty free Hakushu and Yamazaki (18s no less). But has anyone seen Suntory age statements in town lately (anywhere) at regular retail price (not inflated secondary market prices).

You would expect to see even NAS Yamazaki and Hakushu pop up more often but over the last few weeks it’s been nothing but Suntory Ao and Chita, and Nikka Miyagikyo, Yoichi, and From the Barrel. Makes you wonder if Daizawaguy and invalyd were right to call that Suntory and Nikka are holding back stocks ahead of an Olympics that itself is uncertain. I do remember Daizawaguy saying that Hibiki would be key in the runup, and invalyd also seconded that sentiment recently. Hope to see more bottles out when spring arrives (sales further compounded by shortened operating hours at retail stores across the board).

No Taketsuru at retail anywhere, of course ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.