Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Going back to the 55 year old lottery of 100 bottles. If the 50 year old went for $340,000, then the 55 year at $28,000 is going to be well oversubscribed.

My application is getting ready - countdown....

Only drawback is they will engrave your name on the bottle to try and stop sellers hitting auctions - not sure if that will make a difference though. Could always try and get s neutral name like `Lucky Guy` engraved!
Yeah, more than 5 guys in my office are entering the lottery. The name engraving is an interesting twist and was wondering if they'll just use the name on the invoice/payment or if there will be a field to enter something customized.
invalyd and AndyYamazaki like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Yeah, more than 5 guys in my office are entering the lottery. The name engraving is an interesting twist and was wondering if they'll just use the name on the invoice/payment or if there will be a field to enter something customized.
I’ve met a few people who are considering entering the lottery but don’t know a single person who isn’t just trying to buy it as an investment with hopes to flip it. Myself included to be honest! Would not be able to afford to ever drink that. I’m also curious how they will do the engraving. I read that after winning they would reconfirm what’s engraved (so could be different from invoice) but no clear rules about the name used.
Best of luck to those lucky enough to try!
groovbusta and daizawaguy like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
I’ve met a few people who are considering entering the lottery but don’t know a single person who isn’t just trying to buy it as an investment with hopes to flip it. Myself included to be honest! Would not be able to afford to ever drink that. I’m also curious how they will do the engraving. I read that after winning they would reconfirm what’s engraved (so could be different from invoice) but no clear rules about the name used.
Best of luck to those lucky enough to try!
Same here in that all of my coworkers plan on flipping the bottles if they win one... need to open up a whiskyauctioneer account!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:07 pm

Registered for the Yamazaki 55 lottery and there's no field asking what name to engrave, so seems they'll just use the official name you use to register the entry, along with the shipping address. I assume Suntory will then reconfirm the winner's identities with some form of official ID after the lottery, since they seem determined to deter resale and other funny business.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Registered for the Yamazaki 55 lottery and there's no field asking what name to engrave, so seems they'll just use the official name you use to register the entry, along with the shipping address. I assume Suntory will then reconfirm the winner's identities with some form of official ID after the lottery, since they seem determined to deter resale and other funny business.
Yes, they will likely use the third field and reconfirm with the winners without accepting any abnormal deviations of it.
"お名前(ローマ字)Family Name / Given Name(Roman alphabet)"

I did hear from one person they were still debating whether to print the names or not. Take it with a grain of salt.
Either way, I really don't see any point of entering the lottery as foreign non resident or without a Nihonjin doing it for you as it is clear they do not want foreigners to win the bottles.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Y
Either way, I really don't see any point of entering the lottery as foreign non resident or without a Nihonjin doing it for you as it is clear they do not want foreigners to win the bottles.
Luckily I live in Japan, but will have my Japanese father-in-law enter too, just in case...
invalyd likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:21 am

Soon to be a week without an update! What's going on Whisky Folks!? Travel being restricted? Bet demand will be affected for sure...Any views on whether the Yamazaki 55 years is going to be affected, or is this a steal? Applications close soon....

https://mobile.suntory.co.jp/cpn/whi...055.1580469552
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:14 am

Soon to be a week without an update! What's going on Whisky Folks!? Travel being restricted? Bet demand will be affected for sure...Any views on whether the Yamazaki 55 years is going to be affected, or is this a steal? Applications close soon....

https://mobile.suntory.co.jp/cpn/whi...055.1580469552
I don't see why it would be affected, as its intended for Japan residents and there is obviously enough demand without mainland tourists. I put in my application just for fun. I would expect Suntory will also release something more 'accessible' for the Olympics, perhaps similar to the Hibiki Harmony LE.

Anyway, most of us stateside are busy hunting down the new Ichiro's releases that just dropped here
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:22 am

I don't see why it would be affected, as its intended for Japan residents and there is obviously enough demand without mainland tourists. I put in my application just for fun. I would expect Suntory will also release something more 'accessible' for the Olympics, perhaps similar to the Hibiki Harmony LE.

Anyway, most of us stateside are busy hunting down the new Ichiro's releases that just dropped here
New ichiros release? You mean the year 2019 bottling selling in Japan airports about 2 months ago?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Kelvin13
New ichiros release? You mean the year 2019 bottling selling in Japan airports about 2 months ago?
No, I'm referring to the US Edition 2019 and 2 single casks, only about 200 bottles of each of the single casks, so you can bet they are in high demand.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:31 am

No, I'm referring to the US Edition 2019 and 2 single casks, only about 200 bottles of each of the single casks, so you can bet they are in high demand.
Thanks for the informations. Wondering easier /more chance to get the hibiki 21 LE, yamazaki18le & hakushu18le at narita/Haneda airport recently?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:22 am

I don't see why it would be affected, as its intended for Japan residents and there is obviously enough demand without mainland tourists.
My comments were in two different sentences. I think Japanese whisky could be affected by the recent events (Chinese demand), and in another sentence I talk about Yamazaki 55 years, which is only open to Japan residents as we know.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:00 am

My comments were in two different sentences. I think Japanese whisky could be affected by the recent events (Chinese demand), and in another sentence I talk about Yamazaki 55 years, which is only open to Japan residents as we know.
Good to know.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:36 pm

My new acquisitions for this year! Some other NAS like Yamazaki, Hibiki, and mars did not make it on this shelf because I’m running out of room haha
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h

My new acquisitions for this year! Some other NAS like Yamazaki, Hibiki, and mars did not make it on this shelf because I’m running out of room haha
​​​​​​
No Chichibu 'On the way' ? That was quite a wide release.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.