Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jashsu
I was in a Liquor Express earlier and the staff told me of a rumor age stated Taketsuru are about to be discontinued/hiatus. I wouldn't have given it much credence but now with this tweet...

https://twitter.com/WhiskyLimited0/s...084594177?s=19

😓

Not surprising since it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen either of the age statements at regular retail, i.e. department store or Yamaya.

One encouraging note, however. Several years back a colleague had heard that Suntory might discontinue its age statements for Yamazaki, leaving only the NAS. Fortunately that did not prove to be the case (as the 12 and 18 are alive and kicking).
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by PastisDetox
Not surprising since it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen either of the age statements at regular retail, i.e. department store or Yamaya.

One encouraging note, however. Several years back a colleague had heard that Suntory might discontinue its age statements for Yamazaki, leaving only the NAS. Fortunately that did not prove to be the case (as the 12 and 18 are alive and kicking).
I just bought a T17 in a chain grocery store in Tokyo last week.

Given how they already axed the Yoichi and Miyagikyo stated expressions, I guess this isn't unexpected.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Given how they already axed the Yoichi and Miyagikyo stated expressions, I guess this isn't unexpected.
Retail price of the 17 in Japan is under ¥10k
I'd agree it's difficult to find at that price, never come across one at retail personally, but managed to grab a few bottles in the US thankfully.

There does seem to be some truth to this based on how many people are reporting about it, I guess we'll find out soon either way...

Last edited by invalyd; Jan 7, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:52 pm

How much was that if you don't mind me asking? I picked up 5 bottles at duty free back in early 2015 for Y3,150 each and it came with the fancy box. T21 was Y6,000 and Yoichi 15 was Y6,000 also which I only bought one bottle back then....
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by james21_h
How much was that if you don't mind me asking? I picked up 5 bottles at duty free back in early 2015 for Y3,150 each and it came with the fancy box. T21 was Y6,000 and Yoichi 15 was Y6,000 also which I only bought one bottle back then....
My kingdom for a time machine... sigh.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:19 pm

You can't repeat the past, Gatsby.
percysmith and invalyd like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:41 am

Any luck on the Hikiki 30 years at Keio anyone?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:29 pm

https://likaman.co.jp/special/ginza777/

Part 1 and Part 2 look interesting. Borderline tempted to book a flight.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:33 pm

Lucky me two weekends in the row. Ichiro MWR at msrp. All bottles were gone after I took this pic.
jashsu likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:39 pm

Lucky me two weekends in the row. Ichiro MWR at msrp. All bottles were gone after I took this pic.
Niiice. Hasegawa really blowing these bottles out. I'm not a fan of the MWR but that is a good price.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:59 pm

Niiice. Hasegawa really blowing these bottles out. I'm not a fan of the MWR but that is a good price.
Yeah MWR is my least favorite of the 3 but it’s rare to see them at msrp so just had to grab one. Maybe they will have wine cask next!?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:58 pm

Yeah MWR is my least favorite of the 3 but it’s rare to see them at msrp so just had to grab one. Maybe they will have wine cask next!?
Maybe!

Don't be like me and underpack your bottles. Had some casualties in transit:

😢
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:46 am

Maybe!

Don't be like me and underpack your bottles. Had some casualties in transit:

😢
Any tips for packing? Was your suitcase soft shell or hard shell? Did you wrap these guys in bubble packaging or not? Would you recommmend putting clothes and stuff around them to further cushion impact? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
This wrapped by Japanese shop? Even Alliq gives me more bubble wrap than that.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:12 am

Any tips for packing? Was your suitcase soft shell or hard shell? Did you wrap these guys in bubble packaging or not? Would you recommmend putting clothes and stuff around them to further cushion impact? Thanks in advance.
Actually it was all packed inside a Japanpost extra large (tokudai) cardboard box with internal bubble wrap. I usually enter Japan with just a 35L hardside rollaboard, which could probably only accommodate around 6 bottles, so a cardboard box can fit an additional ~12 bottles. I had previously used this box system in the past without incident, but this time finally got bit by some combination of even less internal padding and/or bad luck with a SFO baggage handler. Same as before I used 8 layers of bubblewrap for the top and bottom of the box and 4 layers around the side perimeter, but this time I had just one serpentine bubble wrap section between all the bottles in the center row (which is where all the breakage happened), thinking that the boxes of the Ichiros would provide some additional protection. Lesson learned: resist the urge to cram more bottles in. Individually bubble wrap everything, don't assume boxes will provide any protection and put your most valuable bottles inside a true hardsided luggage with additional clothing protection. If anything I might start taking bottles out of their boxes to wrap for shipment.

Last edited by jashsu; Jan 12, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.