FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:12 am
jashsu

Originally Posted by PastisDetox
Any tips for packing? Was your suitcase soft shell or hard shell? Did you wrap these guys in bubble packaging or not? Would you recommmend putting clothes and stuff around them to further cushion impact? Thanks in advance.
Actually it was all packed inside a Japanpost extra large (tokudai) cardboard box with internal bubble wrap. I usually enter Japan with just a 35L hardside rollaboard, which could probably only accommodate around 6 bottles, so a cardboard box can fit an additional ~12 bottles. I had previously used this box system in the past without incident, but this time finally got bit by some combination of even less internal padding and/or bad luck with a SFO baggage handler. Same as before I used 8 layers of bubblewrap for the top and bottom of the box and 4 layers around the side perimeter, but this time I had just one serpentine bubble wrap section between all the bottles in the center row (which is where all the breakage happened), thinking that the boxes of the Ichiros would provide some additional protection. Lesson learned: resist the urge to cram more bottles in. Individually bubble wrap everything, don't assume boxes will provide any protection and put your most valuable bottles inside a true hardsided luggage with additional clothing protection. If anything I might start taking bottles out of their boxes to wrap for shipment.

Last edited by jashsu; Jan 12, 2020 at 7:32 pm