Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Minimum contract period is the last day of the month after the month you signed up. Because data rolls over, you'd be better off activating in September so you can cancel on October 31; you'd then have the September data allowance as well as October's.
Hmm okay, maybe I can activate on September 29 so I don't have to pay for the full month. I'm planning to get 15GB shared with two other lines on the 2GB plan so 19GB is already plenty, don't need too much data rolled over
Old May 16, 2023, 12:42 pm

With Data only SIM in Japan, would my US Google Voice phone number work in Japan? Can I still receive calls from USA?
Old May 17, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
Bought a 10gb ubiqi esim for my s21 ultra the day before my flight for Japan. Has worked flawlessly so far, then got one for my gf on a 3gb plan for her iPhone 11.

Since my phone is dual sim with tmobile, ive been able to receive calls and texts, as well as whatsapp and google voice.

only thing that doesn't work is mms or group texts, might be a setting im not paying attention.

This is my 4 trip in Japan, ive used prepaid sims previously but esim is definitely the best option going forward. Setup a littkr wonky if u can't find the network immediately but smooth sailing afterwards.

Use a referall code from someone for 20% off. Id offer mine but might be against the rules, i dont care for the kickback just want to help out.
Old May 17, 2023, 6:33 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sxchan
With Data only SIM in Japan, would my US Google Voice phone number work in Japan? Can I still receive calls from USA?
YES, of course!
Old May 22, 2023, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by sxchan
Worked for me over the years and from many countries.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:49 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Are there any options to add on any voice/text options to a 30 day unlimited data SIM? Just thinking precautiously in case I run into any emergencies...
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by a_k
Are there any options to add on any voice/text options to a 30 day unlimited data SIM? Just thinking precautiously in case I run into any emergencies...
To call a Japanese number (do you speak Japanese?) Or intl dialing (eg calling home )
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:13 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage
To call a Japanese number (do you speak Japanese?) Or intl dialing (eg calling home )
To call an emergency number, like an ambulance, for example
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
You do not need a SIM card with a voice line to call emergency services. In fact you can call emergency services with no SIM card at all.

Also, emergency telephone numbers are very similar in specifications (most are 3 digits, and begin with either 1 or 9), and they also work even if you dial the wrong country's number. For example, Japan uses 110 (for police) or 119 (Fire and ambulance). If you dial 911 when you are in Japan, it will automatically route to 110.
lsquare and a_k like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona
You do not need a SIM card with a voice line to call emergency services. In fact you can call emergency services with no SIM card at all.

technically yes, but who knows. (Your sim may have voice calls blocked on sim's network side. Calling emergency services meant the roaming network should be intercepting and allowing the call to go thru , but then you get bugs like these too

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...m-calling-911/.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 26, 2023, 5:37 pm

For real domestic voice + JP's version of sms as a one-off tourist, you'd want to rent a domestic voice+data sim. Most voice + sms + data is limited to JP residents with appropriate ids. It can be a bit expensive if what you mostly need is data and calling the hotel/restaurant if you're running late. I use cellular data + google voice for that. If I feel the need for domestic data via direct carrier vs JP MVNO compared to international roaming data with non-JP data routing, there's a few options around that, too. I've opted for domestic if I'm going to the super countryside.

I'm aware of Mobal, Softbank, and Docomo - voice + sms + data rentals
https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/
https://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/re...n/sim_card.php
Not seeing Docomo come up in Search at the moment. It used to be a third party (not direct)

There's a longer back story and a few ways of working around it with some (and then some more) effort (and luck + persistence) but other than a couple of other people who want sms validation, those details usually aren't of interest.
ajarora and a_k like this.

Last edited by freecia; Jun 26, 2023 at 5:43 pm
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by freecia
There's a longer back story and a few ways of working around it with some (and then some more) effort (and luck + persistence) but other than a couple of other people who want sms validation, those details usually aren't of interest.
Some people do want to set up local payment systems (for example, to have a Mixi M prepaid card or a PayPay account) so I can imagine there being more than just a couple of people interested in SMS validation.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:09 pm

Some people do want to set up local payment systems (for example, to have a Mixi M prepaid card or a PayPay account) so I can imagine there being more than just a couple of people interested in SMS validation.
Couple of people on this thread ? I wouldn't say no to sms + data at a good MVNO easily cancellable price without MyNumber. Let me know if you spot any?

I'd probably categorize us both into a smaller group of long term repeat visitors (not residents or with JP businesses) who'd like to validate local payments systems or non-Suica stored value. There's some overlap with members on the TTP thread but some have JP family/friends or businesses who can probably help with those mobile contracts. I think some JP social networks/fan clubs/registrations also ask for a JP number to validate which overseas fans would like to join? I'm guessing it is small group compared to the foreign tourists who mostly want easy cellular data setup so it doesn't result in the visitor usable sms + data we've been hoping for.

ETA: Sakura still offers voice + data in-person pickup with passport + non-short term visitor visa https://support.sakuramobile.jp/hc/e...-card-payment-

Last edited by freecia; Jun 27, 2023 at 8:38 pm
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by freecia
Couple of people on this thread ? I wouldn't say no to sms + data at a good MVNO easily cancellable price without MyNumber. Let me know if you spot any?
I got in on IIJMio's SMS+data SIM before the government started requiring ID for those too. Aside from that, seems like Hanacell is the only option. The only catch is that if you lose your SIM or it's damaged, they can't do same-number replacements so you'll have to figure out a way to change over your PayPay/Rakuten Pay/Mixi M/whatever you have registered to that number without SMS or voice verification to the old number.

And I ended up becoming a resident, but I'm thinking ahead to if I stop being a resident in the future but still want to do things in Japan that require a Japanese number, maintain a Japanese prepaid card to be able to buy certain things or services...
freecia likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:18 pm

And I ended up becoming a resident, but I'm thinking ahead to if I stop being a resident in the future but still want to do things in Japan that require a Japanese number, maintain a Japanese prepaid card to be able to buy certain things or services...
A friend is a former JP resident who closed his JP bank account when he moved back to the US. I think he regretted the bank account closure for many years as a figure collector before Wise/TransferWise came about.

I'd forgotten about Hanacell. They're physical sim only for now so US sku iPhone 14 (and presumably 2023 release iPhone 15) with dual esim wouldn't be compatible. There are non-US iPhone 14's which still accept a physical nano sim including Japan sku A2881.

Last edited by freecia; Jun 27, 2023 at 9:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.