Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
What's cheapest sim card I can buy at HND for a 16-hour layover in Tokyo? I'm arriving around 5:50 am and only need data.

Other than vending machines the lowest price I've seen is a 3 gb Tre Sim card for ¥3000 at JAL ABC.

Arrigato...
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by kamaaina
What's cheapest sim card I can buy at HND for a 16-hour layover in Tokyo? I'm arriving around 5:50 am and only need data.

Other than vending machines the lowest price I've seen is a 3 gb Tre Sim card for ¥3000 at JAL ABC.

Arrigato...
Do you mind buying the sim from overseas?

Eg Amazon usa had a few options $15-$21 shipped to USA addresses. You might find something similar in your country/region

Also might also review eSim.me, makes your phone support esim. I don't like their new pricing model, and phone compatibility is ymmv... But that (25€+) allows you to use ubigi esim Japan $2.50 500MB 1 day plan)
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Do you mind buying the sim from overseas?

Eg Amazon usa had a few options $15-$21 shipped to USA addresses. You might find something similar in your country/region

Also might also review eSim.me, makes your phone support esim. I don't like their new pricing model, and phone compatibility is ymmv... But that (25€+) allows you to use ubigi esim Japan $2.50 500MB 1 day plan)
My Android is not esim compatible.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
My Android is not esim compatible.
Thats what eSIM.me is for. You get a physical SIM that you can download eSIM profiles to using their app.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
For a single day you might want to check out your home provider if they offer a day pass.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:23 pm

This year I went to japan with a e-sim, called Airalo. It's pretty cheap, especially comparing with the plan provided by other providers, and you don't need to wait for a physical sim card. Pricing is around 3 GB, 30 days, $8.5.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:37 pm

I've seen mixed reviews for Airalo, not many positive reviews for my Oneplus phone.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:43 pm

Ah I've only used airalo on iPhone Not sure how it works on oneplus phones.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Has anyone tried one of these? https://www.biccamera.com/bc/item/11073782/
Old Oct 1, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Arriving at NRT T1 in November 2023. I have a SUICA card, purchased in May 2017 in Tokyo and last used in Osaka in November 2018. Will this still be valid?
I suspect it needs to be "topped up", which I should be able to do at NRT.

If I have problems with my old SUICA, I will probably purchase a Welcome SUICA from a vending machine. Although this will be invalid after 28 days and I will have to throw it away when I get back home to the UK. Thus causing even more IC chip shortages...
Old Oct 1, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikem004
Arriving at NRT T1 in November 2023. I have a SUICA card, purchased in May 2017 in Tokyo and last used in Osaka in November 2018. Will this still be valid?
I suspect it needs to be "topped up", which I should be able to do at NRT.

If I have problems with my old SUICA, I will probably purchase a Welcome SUICA from a vending machine. Although this will be invalid after 28 days and I will have to throw it away when I get back home to the UK. Thus causing even more IC chip shortages...
Hi,

I had a 2019 suica card that I used in Nov 2022 ( checked the charge left on it at a JR station and topped up for my stay) with no issues so I think you will be ok.

- From the JR site it is good for 10 years so you are ok

Suica | Fares & Passes | JR-EAST (jreast.co.jp)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:31 am

Anyone here ordered a physical sim from IIJ? I picked Sunday for the arrival date and they still haven't shipped it out yet which is making me a little nervous... but I also know delivery in Japan is super quick so maybe they will do it last minute?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Angusgor
Anyone here ordered a physical sim from IIJ? I picked Sunday for the arrival date and they still haven't shipped it out yet which is making me a little nervous... but I also know delivery in Japan is super quick so maybe they will do it last minute?
I've done it, had a SIM delivered to Yokohama, memory's a bit fuzzy as to whether it was next-day or 2-day, but it didn't take longer than that. In your case that means it should've gone out later the day you posted. Did it get to you in time?
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by jamar
I've done it, had a SIM delivered to Yokohama, memory's a bit fuzzy as to whether it was next-day or 2-day, but it didn't take longer than that. In your case that means it should've gone out later the day you posted. Did it get to you in time?
hey thanks for the reply! they ended up shipping the SIM Card from Tokyo to Osaka just the night before and it arrived right on time the next evening... I should have had more faith in Japan's postal system/TA-Q-BIN lol

Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:55 pm

airalo is having 10GB 30day for USD$9 (50% of original price of $18)
https://www.airalo.com/japan-esim/mo...hi-30days-10gb

as per other people above, I didnt have good experience with airalo last time (havent tried Airalo recently)

nomad also sale, $13/15GB or $11.5/10GB
https://www.getnomad.app/japan-eSIM

I tried Alosim in Japan - still proxied back to Singapore (>100ms ping) and 10-20mbps... okay, apn auto-configured.
when leaving HND, it stopped working (sees KDDI signal but refused to connect), unsure why but had other things to do/wifi

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 14, 2023 at 8:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.