Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:52 pm

Hi Nick,

<quote>
Yes used emobile service fine with it, actually still carrying a SIM.
</quote>

Did you receive your emobile SIM card from keepgo.com? Or where/how did you get an emobile SIM card?

On emobile's web site it claims you need a passport and alien registration card if you are a foreigner (or an alien registration card and credit card). http://emobile.jp/support/online/info/info_shorui.html

If you know of a way to get an emobile SIM card without the above requirements, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!
Michael
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by tilomba
Hi Nick,
Did you receive your emobile SIM card from keepgo.com? Or where/how did you get an emobile SIM card?

On emobile's web site it claims you need a passport and alien registration card if you are a foreigner (or an alien registration card and credit card). http://emobile.jp/support/online/info/info_shorui.html

If you know of a way to get an emobile SIM card without the above requirements, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!
Michael
I got an E-mobile SIM with office assist (e.g. registered to someone else in our office). To just rent an E-Mobile SIM + MiFi use: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Easier one lately is: http://www.econnectjapan.com/
They are an MVNO on top of NTT DoCoMo

If you do look at KeepGo NEVER select one country as it seems to not give a global rate unlimited (fair use 500MB), choose two countries; Choose Japan + China as an example.... It will then give options further to the right for unlimited ; nice thing with KeepGo is no need to return anything you just throw away the SIM. Econnect is the same, throw away the SIM, vs a rental MiFi + SIM = having to return something
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, USAir
I went with GlobalAdvanced Mi-fi when I was in Japan couple of years ago. Worked as advertised and went very smoothly back then. Fast forward 2 years, seems like not much has changed, but reaffirms their superiority compared to some others out there.

Flying to Japan for 3 weeks in Oct/Nov. Was thinking of the SIM card option (1GB for 30 days) with the new player mentioned in the previous post.

I have an Android Motorolla RAZR with Verizon LTE. Does anyone have any experience of the Japanese SIM compatibility with Verizon, if it even works at all?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by jimbaum
I went with GlobalAdvanced Mi-fi when I was in Japan couple of years ago. Worked as advertised and went very smoothly back then. Fast forward 2 years, seems like not much has changed, but reaffirms their superiority compared to some others out there.

Flying to Japan for 3 weeks in Oct/Nov. Was thinking of the SIM card option (1GB for 30 days) with the new player mentioned in the previous post.

I have an Android Motorolla RAZR with Verizon LTE. Does anyone have any experience of the Japanese SIM compatibility with Verizon, if it even works at all?
If it's SIM unlocked and has Japanese band it will work; but it's buggering difficult to get a SIM for an LTE network without renting a full device
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The main issue would be that Verizon LTE is not the same band as that used by any carrier in Japan. You'll get HSPA but if you want full LTE speed you'll need a local device. If you plan on returning you can get a docomo-branded LG LTE-supporting hotspot for fairly cheap.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

For those who use Mifi's a hint - if from the US

Get a Google Voice acct and forward your phone to Google Voice when you don't expect incoming calls. Then install Google Voice app.

Instant ability now to "screen" calls; you get alerts via Google voice (thru data) on those leaving a message - you can then use Skype or similar to return calls if on a good Mifi+good network.

This lets you avoid call charges but remember also if you get an incoming call and you reject it - YOU STILL get billed a 1 min charge for the divert back to voicemail.

If you really want to receive calls on the US number you have get a Skype number and just forward your US number to that.

I don't do the Skype forwarding - the last thing I want is people in the US ringing me 10AM US time which is 2AM Japan time! I just leave my phone on forwarding to Google Voice
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
For those who use Mifi's a hint - if from the US

Get a Google Voice acct and forward your phone to Google Voice when you don't expect incoming calls. Then install Google Voice app.

Instant ability now to "screen" calls; you get alerts via Google voice (thru data) on those leaving a message - you can then use Skype or similar to return calls if on a good Mifi+good network.

This lets you avoid call charges but remember also if you get an incoming call and you reject it - YOU STILL get billed a 1 min charge for the divert back to voicemail.

If you really want to receive calls on the US number you have get a Skype number and just forward your US number to that.

I don't do the Skype forwarding - the last thing I want is people in the US ringing me 10AM US time which is 2AM Japan time! I just leave my phone on forwarding to Google Voice
The Talkatone app works better as a connection to Google Voice. If you forward your US number to Google Voice, then set the call to go to Google Chat, your Talkatone app will ring with the incoming call as long as you have a stable wifi connection.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The Talkatone app works better as a connection to Google Voice. If you forward your US number to Google Voice, then set the call to go to Google Chat, your Talkatone app will ring with the incoming call as long as you have a stable wifi connection.
Good alternate as well! ^
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:17 am
rkv

Also recommending Global Advanced Communications

I too have had positive experiences with Global Advanced Communications on six or seven occasions.

In the past I have rented a japanese phone and also gave up on trying to find pre-paid SIMS from the local carriers with voice and data. While I initially did it reluctantly renting a MIFI device which I carry in my jacket pocket or briefcase has become my preferred solution. I realized I don't place many local calls but I do use google maps, email and the web heavily. So unlimited data is much more important to me.

Additionally, at least in Tokyo the MIFI data rate is frequently faster than the hotel WIFI data rates. International voice calls via Skype over the MIFI connection work well and you do not have to be too sensitive as to your location. There is even good reception on most subway platforms.

They do rent additional batteries for the MIFI device. These are external and not replacements for the internal battery. I would have preferred the later. On subsequent trips I used my own external battery which has higher capacity and could recharge an iPhone, iPad as well as the MIFI device several times.

The only hiccup I ever had was that at Haneda when taking an early morning BA flight the shop with the Post office on the departures floor was closed. It took a little investigating to find a Lawson's (convenience store) on another floor which was open for dropping off the envelope. Other than that one instance their whole process of receiving at hotel and dropping in a Mailbox before departure works smoothly.

I've never used the pickup option at the airport because I haven't wanted to spend the time at the airport upon arrival.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
I used the airport pickup due to never being in Japan before and wanting maps access incase I got lost on my way to the hotel. This added 15 minutes as I had to wander for a few minutes to find the post office at nrt terminal 2. Ended up helping out as I got to see the AA checkin desk for my departure. Mifi service was great except I lost service for about 30 minutes during last months typhoon.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Had our MiFi sent to the hotel in Tokyo. Used all over Tokyo and Kyoto, returned it to the post office box inside a convenience store behind the HND int'l terminal check-in counters. Extremely satisfied. Two minor quibbles though: the newer MiFis I've seen from Verizon (and really, they're not all that new) are significantly slimmer than the one we received. Perhaps we were just saddled with an older unit, but it was bulkier than I'd have preferred. The other was that the device would need to be restarted a few times in order to switch back from 3G to LTE, and the only reason I'd know to do this was because at some point I'd received LTE in the same place I was now receiving 3G. In any case, highly recommended, especially for the price.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:55 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
What's a realistic battery life for those Mifi units from http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html?

I was hoping to attach an iPhone 5 to one - primarily to use Google maps. Does the iPhone keep wifi active even when it is locked? But even if it did, do these units really have the 10 hour battery life that's claimed?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: AA
We rented a GL06P and the battery life varied based on how much we used it on my iPhone 5 and 3 other devices periodically (primarily google maps and hyperdia). There were a few days I needed to use the extra battery while out and about (heavy usage) but the unit usually lasted all day if I remembered to turn it off when I wasn't using it. I rented the extra battery but if you have one for your iPhone I believe you can just use that. Great little gadget!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by dtc
What's a realistic battery life for those Mifi units from http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html?

I was hoping to attach an iPhone 5 to one - primarily to use Google maps. Does the iPhone keep wifi active even when it is locked? But even if it did, do these units really have the 10 hour battery life that's claimed?
I rented the 21MBPS the last two visits. The battery life is relatively short. It probably does about 4 hours with normal use, and the unit switches itself off/sleeps when no activity for so many minutes.

Hence, I carry around a USB charging "stick" for emergencies. I only had to use it a couple of times since I usually am able to find a 100V outlet in the vicinity (like the N'EX) and just keep the MI-fi- topped off whenever possible.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I think only the newest device gets long battery hour (L-03E from docomo get rated for 13 hour, 10 hour via telecomsquare)

What I always do is to bring (or get) a portable battery / car charger and continuously charging them. Panasonic and Sony both does it and they are not that expensive (3000 - 7000 yen depends on power level). A good buy if you always having battery issue with your phone back at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.