Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL announces summer 2023 international plans, A350-1000 on HND-JFK, new intl cabin

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Seat Map: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/aircraft/conf/351.html




Rollout Schedule:

HND-JFK (JL5/6)
- Every other day from 2024-01-24
- Daily from 2024-02-01

HND-DFW (JL11/12)
- Every other day from 2024-04-17, except between 2024-07-01 and 2024-07-25.
- Daily from 2024-08-15

HND-JFK (JL3/4)
- JL4 Daily from 2024-07-01, except on July 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24.
- JL3 Daily from 2024-07-02, except on July 4,7,10,13,16,19,22,25

HND-LHR (JL43/44)
- FY2024

A350 Production Status
By the end of FY2024, JAL expects to operate a total of 8 A350-1000s
JAL expects to introduce 11 A350-1000s by FY2025

Delivered
JA01WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/610
JA02WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/628
JA03WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/635

In Production
JA04WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/662

MSN670 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/670
MSN676 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/676
JA07WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/679
MSN683 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/683
Print Wikipost

JAL announces summer 2023 international plans, A350-1000 on HND-JFK, new intl cabin

Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:45 pm
  #661  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,609
Originally Posted by dontsh00t
I had my first Apex experience last week and I hated it (well, hated is a strong word for J). I'm a little smaller and shorter than the average passenger, and yet I had to be conscious of keeping my elbows close to me to avoid knocking against the side walls. There's definitely a lot of space in front of you, but i very much prefer that space to be around my torso like in a reverse herringbone seat. I was constantly looking for space to put stuff around me on the Apex suite. Maybe my experience would have been different if I had an aisle seat with the little cubby beside me, but the lack of privacy kinda negates one of the strongest selling points of Apex...

I very much prefer ANA's Room to Apex suites - even if the overall space per pax is smaller, it's used much more efficiently. JAL's new J looks like it would be an improvement on ANA's Room (smaller seat but potentially more storage space), so I'm excited to try it.
Hard disagree. Ultimately I think this is something that mostly comes down to size. The Room was awful as a 192+cm and 31cm footed person. Having the open air above you vs having the table/ife/etc intruding upon that leg/knee space is clutch.
pesos is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:55 pm
  #662  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by pesos
Hard disagree. Ultimately I think this is something that mostly comes down to size. The Room was awful as a 192+cm and 31cm footed person. Having the open air above you vs having the table/ife/etc intruding upon that leg/knee space is clutch.
Ha, I didn't think about that - we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm ~170cm and the Apex just felt like a tragic waste of space. I could feel the sides of the footwell in the Room when i moved my legs too much, but for my height I appreciated the space around my upper body much more than the space around my lower body.

Maybe some airlines will have different J seats on one plane to cater to different needs in future
dontsh00t is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:03 am
  #663  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,609
Originally Posted by dontsh00t
Ha, I didn't think about that - we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm ~170cm and the Apex just felt like a tragic waste of space. I could feel the sides of the footwell in the Room when i moved my legs too much, but for my height I appreciated the space around my upper body much more than the space around my lower body.

Maybe some airlines will have different J seats on one plane to cater to different needs in future
You probably fit just fine on buses and lots of other places too
One mans tragic waste of space is anothers critical personal space
Ive been very lucky to mostly fly F since covid started till now. Have an apex flight in a couple weeks (with JL, have only flown it with KE before) so I can refresh my thoughts on it.
pesos is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:07 am
  #664  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by pesos
You probably fit just fine on buses and lots of other places too
One mans tragic waste of space is anothers critical personal space
Ive been very lucky to mostly fly F since covid started till now. Have an apex flight in a couple weeks (with JL, have only flown it with KE before) so I can refresh my thoughts on it.
Tall people get an advantage in many other aspects of life, so don't feel sorry for yourself

That's the thing - in business class, tradeoffs still exist. You feel the legroom is critical, I feel the storage/arm space is critical, no single product (yet) does both.

F is where you can truly demand everything... you're lucky to mostly fly F!
dontsh00t is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:38 am
  #665  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,435
Originally Posted by dontsh00t
Ha, I didn't think about that - we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm ~170cm and the Apex just felt like a tragic waste of space. I could feel the sides of the footwell in the Room when i moved my legs too much, but for my height I appreciated the space around my upper body much more than the space around my lower body.

Maybe some airlines will have different J seats on one plane to cater to different needs in future
Height is only one aspect of it. You can be 170cm but wide like a sumo player then you wont feel comfortable in apex. FYI, SSII has lots of storage space but its a horrible seat. Avoid at all cost since apex is too narrow for you.
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:21 am
  #666  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by JALPak
Height is only one aspect of it. You can be 170cm but wide like a sumo player then you wont feel comfortable in apex. FYI, SSII has lots of storage space but its a horrible seat. Avoid at all cost since apex is too narrow for you.
Im about 172cm and wide. Maybe not sumo wrestler wide but still a wide body. Thinking Im not going to enjoy my JL Apex suite this summer.
diverg is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:57 am
  #667  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,435
Originally Posted by diverg
I’m about 172cm and wide. Maybe not sumo wrestler wide but still a wide body. Thinking I’m not going to enjoy my JL Apex suite this summer.
I am sitting in an apex seat on a 789 right now and I don’t feel any tightness at all. Of course if you put your backpack next to you then it will be tight. I don’t need bunch of storage. They are nice to have but a tapered footwell is a deal killer for me. That’s why I don’t like the QSuite and even the old CX F seat. I probably won’t like the new JAL J seat either. If it has the same issue. I just can’t lie down comfortably if my feet are pushing against the walls.
Unimatrix One likes this.
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:10 am
  #668  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,609
Originally Posted by JALPak
I am sitting in an apex seat on a 789 right now and I dont feel any tightness at all. Of course if you put your backpack next to you then it will be tight. I dont need bunch of storage. They are nice to have but a tapered footwell is a deal killer for me. Thats why I dont like the QSuite and even the old CX F seat. I probably wont like the new JAL J seat either. If it has the same issue. I just cant lie down comfortably if my feet are pushing against the walls.
exactly. storage is not at all important compared to being able to move my feet and knees around unobstructed
Unimatrix One likes this.
pesos is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:25 am
  #669  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by pesos
exactly. storage is not at all important compared to being able to move my feet and knees around unobstructed
I don't need much storage, I do need a small shelf for a CPAP machine, and there doesn't look like there is much of one. I need to go look again but I think I chose an aisle seat.
diverg is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:25 am
  #670  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by JALPak
I am sitting in an apex seat on a 789 right now and I dont feel any tightness at all. Of course if you put your backpack next to you then it will be tight. I dont need bunch of storage. They are nice to have but a tapered footwell is a deal killer for me. Thats why I dont like the QSuite and even the old CX F seat. I probably wont like the new JAL J seat either. If it has the same issue. I just cant lie down comfortably if my feet are pushing against the walls.
Are you a wide body guy like myself?
diverg is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:26 am
  #671  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,609
Depending on your cable length I think there is a spot behind the head that might work
pesos is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:10 am
  #672  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: TYO
Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 426
Seems like there was a subdued media tour today which also included those who won the lottery for pre-selected JGC members although the planned flight was cancelled.
Hopefully more pictures will be coming out soon unless JAL requested it not to given the recent accident.

https://www.kinaishoku.com/archives/40968.html

Also, starting Jan 24, a new special entrance/mini-lounge only for First Class passengers will open at Haneda Airport.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/inter/se...nge/hnd/first/
lrdpenn, diverg and OWF_NYC_SIN like this.
musashino22 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:50 am
  #673  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,230
Originally Posted by musashino22
Seems like there was a subdued media tour today which also included those who won the lottery for pre-selected JGC members although the planned flight was cancelled.
Hopefully more pictures will be coming out soon unless JAL requested it not to given the recent accident.

https://www.kinaishoku.com/archives/40968.html

Also, starting Jan 24, a new special entrance/mini-lounge only for First Class passengers will open at Haneda Airport.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/inter/se...nge/hnd/first/
Good find. I wonder when JAL will update their English site to indicate that the F lounge sushi bar is back open?

Cant wait to try the F entrance lounge next week.

Last edited by MattEvan; Jan 15, 2024 at 6:56 am
MattEvan is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:04 pm
  #674  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 763
Anyone have a thought when they may start DFW? Got some tickets locked in for July so looking forward to hopefully trying the product. Flying from lax to dfw JUST to try it out.
brabb12 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:15 pm
  #675  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 21,455
Originally Posted by musashino22
Seems like there was a subdued media tour today which also included those who won the lottery for pre-selected JGC members although the planned flight was cancelled.
Hopefully more pictures will be coming out soon unless JAL requested it not to given the recent accident.

https://www.kinaishoku.com/archives/40968.html

Also, starting Jan 24, a new special entrance/mini-lounge only for First Class passengers will open at Haneda Airport.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/inter/se...nge/hnd/first/
The first class entrance seems to have a soft opening already. A friend sent pictures from it today
MattEvan likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.