Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL announces summer 2023 international plans, A350-1000 on HND-JFK, new intl cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Seat Map: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/aircraft/conf/351.html

Rollout Schedule:

HND-JFK (JL5/6)
- Every other day from 2024-01-24
- Daily from 2024-02-01

HND-DFW (JL11/12)
- Every other day from 2024-04-17, except between 2024-07-01 and 2024-07-25.
- Daily from 2024-08-15

HND-JFK (JL3/4)
- JL4 Daily from 2024-07-01, except on July 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24.
- JL3 Daily from 2024-07-02, except on July 4,7,10,13,16,19,22,25

HND-LHR (JL43/44)
- FY2024

A350 Production Status
By the end of FY2024, JAL expects to operate a total of 8 A350-1000’s
JAL expects to introduce 11 A350-1000’s by FY2025

Delivered
JA01WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/610
JA02WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/628
JA03WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/635

In Production
JA04WJ https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/662

MSN670 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/670
MSN676 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/676
MSN679 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/679
MSN683 https://aviation.flights/aib/A350/683
Print Wikipost

JAL announces summer 2023 international plans, A350-1000 on HND-JFK, new intl cabin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:58 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by musashino22
I think the first 6 x A350-900 deliveries for Air India are the ex-Aeroflot Collin Aerospace Horizon Seats so JAL would still be the first airlines to debut the Safran First and Business Class Seats
The seats look so similar these days it’s hard to tell the differences That’s why apex is still my favorite. And it’s a real suite.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by musashino22
I think the first 6 x A350-900 deliveries for Air India are the ex-Aeroflot Collin Aerospace Horizon Seats so JAL would still be the first airlines to debut the Safran First and Business Class Seats
How many Aeroflot birds are there, everyone seems to get Aeroflot planes these days..... lol
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:57 pm

JAL new A350 JFK-HND for Dec 2024 flight

Hi there! New to the forum and having a bit of a dilemma. I am hoping to book a First or Business class fare from JFK-HND in Dec 2024 using BA Avios. When I look the flight up on JAL website, however, it appears that the JL5 route that should have the A350 is listed as being a 777 sky suite instead. It appears to be switch from the A350 to to 777 as of Oct 27, 2024. Would it be safe to assume that the plane type has just not been updated and that I will most likely be flying the A350 on this route, as it is the flagship route? Or should I work with the assumption that for some reason the A350 is being switched out at that time for some reason. Any insight anyone can give would be great.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:01 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Schedules probably aren't yet loaded or updated properly for dates after October (the website only lists October 2023 - March 2024 as the current schedule). However, booking any flight 11+ months out means that making almost any assumptions about plane type are not safe since so much can change between now and then.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lauren817
Hi there! New to the forum and having a bit of a dilemma. I am hoping to book a First or Business class fare from JFK-HND in Dec 2024 using BA Avios. When I look the flight up on JAL website, however, it appears that the JL5 route that should have the A350 is listed as being a 777 sky suite instead. It appears to be switch from the A350 to to 777 as of Oct 27, 2024. Would it be safe to assume that the plane type has just not been updated and that I will most likely be flying the A350 on this route, as it is the flagship route? Or should I work with the assumption that for some reason the A350 is being switched out at that time for some reason. Any insight anyone can give would be great.
The A350-1000 schedule to New York is only loaded until the end of the IATA summer schedule. So until 26th of October. It will be updated eventually, though I don't see JFK as a high risk of a scheduled aircraft change.

And welcome to Flyertalk and the JAL forum. Do stick around, the community is full of knowledge and answers that can be very helpful.
flyinghurtsmyback likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 5:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold

Spotted at HND
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:58 pm

Just watched the Sam Chui's vid. J suites looks to be very competitive/ best-in-class with the exception of the headrest speakerphone. That really is going to be a big negative if I can hear buddy's movie from next seat. Not sure why they thought this is a good idea.
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commaspace
Just watched the Sam Chui's vid. J suites looks to be very competitive/ best-in-class with the exception of the headrest speakerphone. That really is going to be a big negative if I can hear buddy's movie from next seat. Not sure why they thought this is a good idea.
The theory is that you will not be able to hear the sound from your neighbours. But hearing is believing. I would imagine JAL has tested this, but let's see what the feedback is once people start flying it.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:30 am

You've already seen how they decided to leave all the cabin finishes unnoticed, in that order of ideas, I don't think anyone at JAL is going to do any work to inspect the seat speakers.

The only objective seemed to be the entry into service of the plane as soon as possible and paradoxically it coincided with the moment in which the whole world has seen, through the media and social networks, a similar plane completely incinerated on the runway of an airport. The greatest possible negative publicity for the Company.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maserati506
You've already seen how they decided to leave all the cabin finishes unnoticed, in that order of ideas, I don't think anyone at JAL is going to do any work to inspect the seat speakers.

The only objective seemed to be the entry into service of the plane as soon as possible and paradoxically it coincided with the moment in which the whole world has seen, through the media and social networks, a similar plane completely incinerated on the runway of an airport. The greatest possible negative publicity for the Company.
​​​​​​I am sure they tested the concept before signing the option off. Whether the installed version in Leahy's Bargain Basement products lives up to the test version is of course a different matter.....
Maserati506 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Maserati506
The greatest possible negative publicity for the Company.
IMO the publicity from the Haneda fireball situation has been largely positive for JL, or perhaps mixed/neutral.

Deserved or not, JAL seems to be viewed favorably because of the human life outcome and generous response to passengers.
kodalip and Aurelian like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​I am sure they tested the concept before signing the option off. Whether the installed version in Leahy's Bargain Basement products lives up to the test version is of course a different matter.....
I would be more concerned about extreme volume from crew/cockpit announcements which in the past have been a bit too loud compared with the media settings used for watching movies. I have become used to snatching my klipsch earbubs out of my ears in a hurry before suffering pain and hearing loss. I would be curious how one would quickly reduce the volume from the seat speakers should such an imbalance occur inflight.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

P.S., Mazda did something similar over 20 years ago in their sports car, but I lost track of what happened with the technology. Anyway it is apples to oranges when considering what your seat neighbor would experience (e.g., two seat passenger would likely be listening to the same content).

Last edited by cyborg; Jan 7, 2024 at 1:23 pm Reason: Historical reference
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyborg
I would be more concerned about extreme volume from crew/cockpit announcements which in the past have been a bit too loud compared with the media settings used for watching movies. I have become used to snatching my klipsch earbubs out of my ears in a hurry before suffering pain and hearing loss. I would be curious how one would quickly reduce the volume from the seat speakers should such an imbalance occur inflight.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

P.S., Mazda did something similar over 20 years ago in their sports car, but I lost track of what happened with the technology. Anyway it is apples to oranges when considering what your seat neighbor would experience (e.g., two seat passenger would likely be listening to the same content).
Yeah, I had not really thought about that. With my own headphones I always have the volume setting on the lowest possible, and then the announcements come blaring through at absurd volumes. Not sure why they do that.
That will be interesting how it is going to work with the new system.....
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:02 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JA02WJ will arrive HND tmr at 11:15JST

https://ja.flightaware.com/live/flight/JAL8102
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
The seats look so similar these days it’s hard to tell the differences That’s why apex is still my favorite. And it’s a real suite.
I had my first Apex experience last week and I hated it (well, hated is a strong word for J). I'm a little smaller and shorter than the average passenger, and yet I had to be conscious of keeping my elbows close to me to avoid knocking against the sides. There's definitely a lot of space in front of you, but i very much prefer that space to be around my torso like in a reverse herringbone seat. I was constantly looking for space to put stuff around me on the Apex suite - I ended up having to stuff a few things in between the armrest and the sidewall of the plane. The best places for storage (the netting behind the seat and the space under the TV) all required me to get completely out of my seat, which doesn't feel like good design. Maybe my experience would have been different if I had an aisle seat with the little cubby beside me, but the lack of privacy kinda negates one of the strongest selling points of Apex...

I definitely prefer ANA's Room to Apex suites - even if the overall space per pax is smaller, it's used much more efficiently. JAL's new J looks like it would be an improvement on ANA's Room (smaller seat but potentially more storage space), so I'm excited to see the reviews from the debut flight.

My current preference would be JAL's new J (probably) > ANA Room > Reverse herringbone with door > Apex and reverse herringbone without door tied (depending on the specific configuration of reverse herringbone).

Last edited by dontsh00t; Jan 13, 2024 at 10:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.