Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Only way to keep it is to ticket it. Cannot keep it confirmed but unticketed past the deadline. If I was you, I would call and ask them to drop (remove) the waitlisted segment and ticket the confirmed flight as one way. Then just do a new one-way waitlist for the other flight, though of course that will push down your waitlist priority if it's a multiple pax waitlisting situation. Or you can ask if they can they keep it at its current priority and split the PNR apart (not sure if they can).
Just ask them to keep the waitlist in the current PNR and make a new waitlist booking for your confirmed flight. Then they can work with inventory management to transfer your confirmed flight to your new reservation. Make sure they don't delete the confirmed flight before the new reservation is confirmed. But YMMV whether they are willing to do this for you.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:03 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Well my reservation is the discounted type with no changes allowed. Even if I can split into 2 one-ways I would then be faced with increased in mileage requirement which I don't want to spend.

So I guess my question is, if my reservation expires (or I cancel it myself) and I immediately rebook a new reservation with the same flights, will the previously confirmed flight still be available or will that award inventory disappear and I would have to redo entire waitlist again?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Well my reservation is the discounted type with no changes allowed. Even if I can split into 2 one-ways I would then be faced with increased in mileage requirement which I don't want to spend.

So I guess my question is, if my reservation expires (or I cancel it myself) and I immediately rebook a new reservation with the same flights, will the previously confirmed flight still be available or will that award inventory disappear and I would have to redo entire waitlist again?
No, it will be all over again.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jix

No way to know. That depends how many others are waitlisted for your confirmed flight. It'll first go to others who are ahead of you in the waitlist for your now confirmed flight. Only if no one else wants it then may be you can get it back as confirmed again (may be).

Keep in mind that closer than 3 months in, waitlist res only hold for 7 days. So you'll need to make a new waitlist res every week, meaning that you will be generally at the lowest waitlist priority and behind everyone else, and sooner or later you will lose your confirmed flight.

That's a poor strategy. Take the one way confirmed flight and try to get the return separately.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
I have released two J seats on JL61 from LAX to NRT on Oct 3. It is available for redemption on the system now if anyone is interested.

By the way, does anyone know if JL only put aside a fixed number of seats for redemption only? Will they release more award seats if many business class seats remain unsold 1 or 2 week before departure? I am trying to rebook JL61 for late October instead.... Many thanks!!!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by l380
I have released two J seats on JL61 from LAX to NRT on Oct 3. It is available for redemption on the system now if anyone is interested.

By the way, does anyone know if JL only put aside a fixed number of seats for redemption only? Will they release more award seats if many business class seats remain unsold 1 or 2 week before departure? I am trying to rebook JL61 for late October instead.... Many thanks!!!
If the flight is not full then yes. Sometimes even the second last seat, and may be even the last seat, may be available for last minute award bookings, IF you are on the waitlist for it (it may not open up to public, but if you are on the waitlist there is a chance of getting it a few days/weeks out).
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA
I just called JMB to upgrade my PE award ticket for this Sunday to a J seat that just opened up a few minutes ago. Agent said he couldn't it as it's too late and past the 4-day requirement. Was he correct?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by glenpok23
I just called JMB to upgrade my PE award ticket for this Sunday to a J seat that just opened up a few minutes ago. Agent said he couldn't it as it's too late and past the 4-day requirement. Was he correct?
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...tion.html#tabs

You have passed the deadline to request over the phone, which was midnight on Friday for your Sunday flight.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
You have passed the deadline to request over the phone, which was midnight on Friday for your Sunday flight.
Thanks for the quick reply JalPak. I guess my only chance now is to show up at the airport really early and hope that J seat is still up for grabs?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by glenpok23
Thanks for the quick reply JalPak. I guess my only chance now is to show up at the airport really early and hope that J seat is still up for grabs?
Not sure if they will be able to change your PY award to C at the airport though. Need to read the latest T&C.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Not sure if they will be able to change your PY award to C at the airport though. Need to read the latest T&C.
I think I read somewhere that I maybe able to but just couldn't find the link.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:22 am

Is JAL becoming stingy with last minute biz/first availability recently? Biz for YVR-NRT and SAN-NRT are wide open but those seats are not lie-flat.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Is JAL becoming stingy with last minute biz/first availability recently? Biz for YVR-NRT and SAN-NRT are wide open but those seats are not lie-flat.
First class availability short notice is reasonably good. J has been more tricky on most routes. I have not noticed a significant decrease in J availability recently. But then again I am not looking at all routes all the time.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
First class availability short notice is reasonably good. J has been more tricky on most routes. I have not noticed a significant decrease in J availability recently. But then again I am not looking at all routes all the time.

I'm trying to grab first class on ORD-NRT or JFK-NRT and monitoring the availability closely but no luck on my dates. I see first class availability for 1 seat but I remember that I used to see more than 2 first class seats available within 2 weeks of departure.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I don't think the seats are all that bad, and it could also be a reason why there is availability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.