Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JALPak
He already said no holding.
Sorry, I didn't understand what his YES was referring to, so I asked for clarification.

"NO and YES, if you are using JAL miles." Suggests that no, JAL doesn't hold, but then suggests that yes, JAL will hold if you are using JAL miles.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:29 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Sorry, I didn't understand what his YES was referring to, so I asked for clarification.

"NO and YES, if you are using JAL miles." Suggests that no, JAL doesn't hold, but then suggests that yes, JAL will hold if you are using JAL miles.
JL will only make the booking for you if you have enough miles
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
JL will only make the booking for you if you have enough miles
Same for a waitlist. You cannot even waitlist a flight if you don't have enough miles for it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Can you clarify? No, JAL doesn't hold award tickets? Yes, they do if you have JAL points in account?

Basically, I'd like to hold a JAL ticket while I transfer points to JAL from SPG and also book other tickets on AA for the other folks in my family.
I was being polite by not spoon feeding you the exact google response of the JAL website, but if you insist......

Does JAL hold an award at all? NO
And must you have points in your account to do so? YES

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...plication.html

Reminders When Requesting Awards
At the time of making the reservation, you must already have in your JMB account the total amount of mileage that is needed for the award. If you do not have enough miles, you will not be able to make a reservation.
JALPak likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
No, JAL doesn't hold award tickets
That is generally true, though with a caveat that JL does hold award tickets, IF there is a confirmed flight along with a waitlisted flight on the same PNR (JL won't ticket it until all flights are confirmed, which means that in effect the confirmed flight is held without ticketing while waiting for the WL one to confirm), and only IF you have enough miles in the account for what it will cost if confirmed (if not, no way to waitlist it in the first place).

So yes, JL never holds award tickets if there are not enough miles. If there are enough miles, however, it will hold a confirmed flight alongside a waitlisted one.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:19 am

I'd like to get a seat on a JAL flight using AA miles from HND-SFO anywhere from the 19th through the 23rd, at the latest. I see some availability in J on the 23rd, but I'd prefer to sit in Y, as this is a flight I'm not too excited about using miles for in the first place, so would like to waste as few as possible.

For now, I have a hold on an itinerary on the 24th to SFO in Y, but what are the chances another Y seat becomes available before then? I'm unfamiliar with JAL's last minute release schedule, if they even have one.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Same for a waitlist. You cannot even waitlist a flight if you don't have enough miles for it.
The following scenario is possible ?

You have 40,000miles.
You request a waitlist for A->B on date D1 (30,000 miles required)
Then, you request a waitlist for C->D on date D2 (30,000 miles required).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Habbit
I'd like to get a seat on a JAL flight using AA miles from HND-SFO anywhere from the 19th through the 23rd, at the latest. I see some availability in J on the 23rd, but I'd prefer to sit in Y, as this is a flight I'm not too excited about using miles for in the first place, so would like to waste as few as possible.

For now, I have a hold on an itinerary on the 24th to SFO in Y, but what are the chances another Y seat becomes available before then? I'm unfamiliar with JAL's last minute release schedule, if they even have one.
You need to post on the AA forum as you are redeeming through AA.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu

You have 40,000miles.
They would know. If done properly, there should be notation in your account that you've waitlisted on the first itinerary.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu

You have 40,000miles.
That is possible, yes. Just obviously you'll be able to ticket only one of the two reservations and the second one will expire by the booking deadline, if you don't add more miles to your account.

The key is the dates have to be different. Sadly you cannot waitlist A->Z and B->Z on the same date, even if you are flexible and can leave from one or another co-terminal airport.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:53 pm

You need to post on the AA forum as you are redeeming through AA.
But regardless, I'll be on JAL metal from Japan to SFO. I just would like to know if JAL releases last minute Y, or should I just take what I've gotten? I'm sure I'd be directed here if I asked that on the AA forum.

EDIT: JAL availability is usually the same as partner availability, isn't that correct?

Last edited by Habbit; Aug 10, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Habbit
But regardless, I'll be on JAL metal from Japan to SFO. I just would like to know if JAL releases last minute Y, or should I just take what I've gotten? I'm sure I'd be directed here if I asked that on the AA forum.

EDIT: JAL availability is usually the same as partner availability, isn't that correct?
Once again, please check with AA folks. We can't help you regarding what AA can or cannot see.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:36 am

Several F rewards released today. Grabbed a couple but left another Feb. 12th NRT-ORD 2 seats open if anyone is looking this winter.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:25 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Cannot ticket until all the flights clear, correct. The flights being 2 months apart, there is a high probability that if one clears (outbound) the return will not before the hold expiry date - 82 days prior to the first flight. WL may clear at around 90 days out, and then closer in. So even if your outbound clears, your return flight won't. If you book it as two separate one ways, the chance is higher that both may clear before 82 days out (as for how good of a chance depends on your route and dates and many factors that we are not privy to).

Also if you do it as two one ways, the one (or both) that didn't clear, you can keep rebooking every 7 days, as WLs are only held for 7 days if booked 8-89 days out. Though you could also do that for a round trip, but the chances are that the confirmed outbound will be booked by someone else before your return clears, and you'll need to rebook it at close to the exact time the reservation is dropped by JL every week.

Ref. https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...plication.html
Hrmm so my inbound return flight just cleared wait list, and I have one month left before the entire reservation cancels automatically. My outbound flight is still waitlisted, what is the strategy if the reservation expires, is there a way to keep the confirmed segment?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jix
Hrmm so my inbound return flight just cleared wait list, and I have one month left before the entire reservation cancels automatically. My outbound flight is still waitlisted, what is the strategy if the reservation expires, is there a way to keep the confirmed segment?
Only way to keep it is to ticket it. Cannot keep it confirmed but unticketed past the deadline. If I was you, I would call and ask them to drop (remove) the waitlisted segment and ticket the confirmed flight as one way. Then just do a new one-way waitlist for the other flight, though of course that will push down your waitlist priority if it's a multiple pax waitlisting situation. Or you can ask if they can they keep it at its current priority and split the PNR apart (not sure if they can).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.