Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mrliu88
Another interesting note regarding JAL availability in late March. I just got a notification today (I have alarms set for less than 4 F or A fare) so I went into experflyer and checked my flight (JL009 ORD-NRT on Mar 28) and the entire inventory for any class is 0. I checked the seatmap and only business class seem to be sold out. I also tried google the flight and they're not selling any tickets on this particular flight. Could the plane be sold out but just not reflected on seatmap? I don't think JAL will cancel this flight, but it's just a bit bizarre that the whole inventory turns 0 overnight.
If by seat map you mean the Expert Flyer seat map, then no that does not reflect the true state of bookings People may not select seats for any number of reasons.

If EF shows all booking classes as zero either it is sold out, not unlike for year end, or they are holding the remaining seats for some reason. I have seen flights go completely to zero very suddenly where it was hard to think normal booking patterns would have done that in a matter if one or two days so I assumed JAL blocked out the flight for good reason.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
For domestic flight of JAL, 8 years or more old children are permitted to travel alone.
So, If the system permits, basically no problem. Seating selection may be an issue (how to sit together with separate bookings.)
Alternatively, you may consider child fare (half price of adult non restricted normal fare).

BTW,
6 to 7 years old children may travel alone when JAL's KIDS support service is used.
5 or less old children can't travel alone.
So... after looking at dates... looks like my daughter will be 2 days away from being 8-years old... on the outgoing. I mean, she won't be "flying alone" but I'm sure I'll be in for a hassle trying to book it separately. I was booking my 4 year old on a one-way and attach it to an existing itinerary... and that worked with BA, but if I'm booking 2 on BA Avios and 1 with JMB ( for a better chance at availability ) then it may be tricky. May just buy a revenue ticket for her. I can buy a discounted ticket for her anyhow as she's not a JP resident.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Correct. No tricks to book tickets.
But, If you see 3 Avios award seats on any other flight that day (only 3 flights a day) , I suggest you book them. Or, just wait till the booking opens in May and buy a cash ticket.
Yeah, there were 2 seats on all three flights available. I've been watching but nothing has opened up since... so I grabbed two mid-day flights for now.
Yes. At check in, just present all three of yourselves and there will not be any issue.
I'm just trying to figure out the actual purchase of the ticket. I was trying to buy a ticket for a minor recently with Avios, I had to call in and they linked the tickets together. My daughter was flying on a one-way redemption as she's coming back early with me. Just wanted to make sure I won't have any problems purchasing the ticket... or if there are restrictions when using points. Aeroplan, for example, officially has a policy that you can't use points for unaccompanied minors... and some agents will not relax that even if you're, for example, flying some on a revenue ticket and some on points.
Nope. 60 days out. It is a minor glitch with JAL, in that awards beyond the 60 day window are available to JAL partners but not to its own JAL JMB members.
That's so strange. I assumed that JMB members would have better availability.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Availability is the same to JMB and partners. It is the booking window that is not favoring JMB members. Only 60 days out, but partners like BA can book until end of schedule. The 2 seats you saw are not even bookable with JAL miles. As of the date of this post, JAL miles can be used to book domestic awards only up to May 13th 2018. (Exactly 60 days from today!).
Don't spread the word!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Availability is the same to JMB and partners. It is the booking window that is not favoring JMB members. Only 60 days out, but partners like BA can book until end of schedule. The 2 seats you saw are not even bookable with JAL miles. As of the date of this post, JAL miles can be used to book domestic awards only up to May 13th 2018. (Exactly 60 days from today!).
Don't spread the word!
And, JMB members can book domestic awards 4 days before the flight.
However, BA Avios can book JAL's domestic flight .....
Don't spread the word!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:15 pm

I'm guessing this is Classic Japaneseness... everything in Japan is a paradox.

At the morning meeting... the section chief addresses the JMB booking team:

"Okay team, thanks for your hard work with our valued JMB customers. Efficiency is a Japanese hallmark, so let's work efficiently today!"

English Speaking ex-pat on the English Team has an idea:
"Chief! I might have thought of an idea to improve these processes to be more efficient... and improve customer satisfaction!"
"Oh, we can't change this ancient system as we have to form a committee before we are allowed to figure out who needs to meet discuss the problem"
"Okay... can we change the overall design to make this site easier to use, like on mobile devices?"
"Hmmm... maybe that's a good idea" ( translation: probably not )
"Can we change the glitch in the system that restricts booking windows?"
"Hmmm... I wonder what will break if that is changed..."
"Who should we contact to find out what will break if we request a change to the system"
"Hmm.... that's a good question. Maybe we should put in a formal request to find out who's responsible for letting us know the person who can do request a risk analysis of making a change"
"I'm not talking about making a change... I'm just wondering who..."
"Yes, I see.. hold on... there's a form here somewhere. Do you have your hanko?"
"Can't we just contact the head of the web department and ask him to initiate fixing this?"
"Hmmm... I think we will have to find out the section chief who would be able to find out which form we need to fill out..." ( translation: we don't want to embarrass the dept. head if he doesn't have the answer )
"..."
"..."
"Yeah... you know what, the system works as it is now, maybe we should leave it for now..."

"Yes, I think you're right. We should do nothing. This has been a productive meeting. Can you put together a report with the key takeaways as well as the steps moving forward?"

"......Hai, Kashikomarimashita, Kacho!"

Last edited by bluemeansgo; Mar 13, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
I'm guessing this is Classic Japaneseness... everything in Japan is a paradox.

At the morning meeting... the section chief addresses the JMB booking team:

"Okay team, thanks for your hard work with our valued JMB customers. Efficiency is a Japanese hallmark, so let's work efficiently today!"

English Speaking ex-pat on the English Team has an idea:
"Chief! I might have thought of an idea to improve these processes to be more efficient... and improve customer satisfaction!"
"Oh, we can't change this ancient system as we have to form a committee before we are allowed to figure out who needs to meet discuss the problem"
"Okay... can we change the overall design to make this site easier to use, like on mobile devices?"
"Hmmm... maybe that's a good idea" ( translation: probably not )
"Can we change the glitch in the system that restricts booking windows?"
"Hmmm... I wonder what will break if that is changed..."
"Who should we contact to find out what will break if we request a change to the system"
"Hmm.... that's a good question. Maybe we should put in a formal request to find out who's responsible for letting us know the person who can do request a risk analysis of making a change"
"I'm not talking about making a change... I'm just wondering who..."
"Yes, I see.. hold on... there's a form here somewhere. Do you have your hanko?"
"Can't we just contact the head of the web department and ask him to initiate fixing this?"
"Hmmm... I think we will have to find out the section chief who would be able to find out which form we need to fill out..." ( translation: we don't want to embarrass the dept. head if he doesn't have the answer )
"..."
"..."
"Yeah... you know what, the system works as it is now, maybe we should leave it for now..."

"Yes, I think you're right. We should do nothing. This has been a productive meeting. Can you put together a report with the key takeaways as well as the steps moving forward?"

"......Hai, Kashikomarimashita, Kacho!"
I can't tell if it's real or not - which is why this is good, as it is so true.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
From the inside, I can tell you that the PSS (passenger service system -backbone of flight operations management) of JAL and ANA have only recently been upgraded with migrations to the Amadeus PSS. Although there is still a long way to go, most of the “quirks” or “bugs” shown are actually not bothersome to the core customer base of Japanese clients.
only recently has online booking taken off in Japan. The vast majority of passengers still book via phone and travel agents like HIS/JTB/JAL club etc. so, the website as a sales channel hasn’t been a priority to JAL. However, more improvements are in store, but don’t expect a lowly Kacho (referenced above in the fictitious meeting) be able to change anything.

The more you understand PSS, the more you realize why changes aren’t easy. just look at UA/AA/OZ/CA/KE/BR websites and their own quirks and bugs, and you’ll see it is a wider issue facing many airlines.

anyway, back to topic, JAL award availability for JMB partners remains scarce for popular routes.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:35 pm

Apologies if there is a newer thread for this question, but I didn't see one so I'm bumping this one.

I'm trying to book a Y award ticket on YVR-NRT-CTS for mid-Feb 2019. There looks to be only one connecting flight that doesn't require a transfer to HND (which I'd rather avoid even more than usual, as we'll have a bunch of ski gear with us), but there's no availability at all for the NRT-CTS flight, whether I look 1 month out, 7 months out, or 11 months out. Decent availability on HND-CTS. Does NRT-CTS in Y really sell out of award space the first day it's available, or is there something potentially buggy in the system?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
Apologies if there is a newer thread for this question, but I didn't see one so I'm bumping this one.

I'm trying to book a Y award ticket on YVR-NRT-CTS for mid-Feb 2019. There looks to be only one connecting flight that doesn't require a transfer to HND (which I'd rather avoid even more than usual, as we'll have a bunch of ski gear with us), but there's no availability at all for the NRT-CTS flight, whether I look 1 month out, 7 months out, or 11 months out. Decent availability on HND-CTS. Does NRT-CTS in Y really sell out of award space the first day it's available, or is there something potentially buggy in the system?
I would guess that few or no seats are released on the route. You can potentially just buy it as a revenue flight, since you anyway have to reclaim luggage in Tokyo, and JAL checks through across separate tickets, limited impact of doing two tickets.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

Domestic flights generally do not open up until 3 (or was it 2?) months prior for award booking. Only exception is if booked origin - destination as part of an int'l reservation.

In this case book confirmed YVR-NRT and waitlisted NRT-CTS. Very likely the waitlist will open up, quite possibly within less than 24 hours of reservation. Then when it's confirmed you can ticket it.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:02 am

Thanks for the info guys. I obviously have no experience with anything to do with JAL, I'll be converting SPG points over solely based on the 2-4-2 layout on the YVR-NRT segment.

If I book the itinerary, will my seats stay "reserved" on the YVR-NRT segments even if the itinerary hasn't been ticketed? Even if the YVR-NRT routes run out of award availability while I'm waiting for the waitlist to be removed, would I still be able to at some point just remove the waitlisted segment and get the YVR-NRT / NRT-YVR segments ticketed, and find separate arragements to get to CTS?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I obviously have no experience with anything to do with JAL, I'll be converting SPG points over solely based on the 2-4-2 layout on the YVR-NRT segment.

If I book the itinerary, will my seats stay "reserved" on the YVR-NRT segments even if the itinerary hasn't been ticketed? Even if the YVR-NRT routes run out of award availability while I'm waiting for the waitlist to be removed, would I still be able to at some point just remove the waitlisted segment and get the YVR-NRT / NRT-YVR segments ticketed, and find separate arragements to get to CTS?
Yes and yes.

The flight you are confirmed on you are confirmed, and that will not "unconfirm", regardless of ticketing status, until you hit the ticketing deadline. Do be aware of that. If it is not ticketed by the ticketing deadline, then you will lose it. So, if NRT-CTS doesn't confirm by some 2-3 days before ticketing deadline, I would remove NRT-CTS and ticket YVR-NRT, and if you'd like put in HND-NRT instead (if that is still available then).

Ticketing deadline info:
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...plication.html

Basically if you are booking close in (closer than 90 days), you only have 7 days for waitlist to clear until the confirmed flights are gone (no waitlisting 7 days or closer in). Otherwise, you have until 82 days out.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:25 pm

Starting August 28 ANA appears to be allowing domestic flight awards to be booked beyond the current 2 month limit. I checked JAL's website for a similar announcement, but was unable to find anything. Just curious if anyone has heard if JAL will be making a change to their current rules and following suit? Unfortunately I can post the full link since I don't have 5 posts yet. en/jp/amc/promo/award_dom1808/
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DirtyRandy
Starting August 28 ANA appears to be allowing domestic flight awards to be booked beyond the current 2 month limit. I checked JAL's website for a similar announcement, but was unable to find anything. Just curious if anyone has heard if JAL will be making a change to their current rules and following suit? Unfortunately I can post the full link since I don't have 5 posts yet. en/jp/amc/promo/award_dom1808/
JAL just closed the loop hole that AVIOS could book a year out but JMB could not. So no indication that they are moving in the same direction as NH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.