Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FlyingKansan
Did not know super close in bookings weren't available to JL. Thanks so much for your insight, looks like I'll have to ticket elsewhere asap.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...tion.html#tabs

re: ticketing deadlines

12:00 (departure city time), 4 days prior to the departure of the first flight sector (not including the day of departure)
Though by phone (if you call Japan, as US call center is very limited hours, and wait times are often an hour +) it is:
24 hours (departure city time) prior to the departure of the first flight sector
  • *If the above deadlines fall outside the operating hours of the Call Center or JAL Office, the deadline will be the previous business day.
and also keep in mind re: waitlisting

Within 7 days prior to the departure of the first flight sector Waitlisting is not permitted
Availability usually comes open at 7 days or less prior to flight, if there's only a few seats left. That you cannot waitlist, and it's also hard if not impossible to book it with JL itself due to the ticketing deadlines.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by RealHJ
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...tion.html#tabs

re: ticketing deadlines

Though by phone (if you call Japan, as US call center is very limited hours, and wait times are often an hour +) it is:

and also keep in mind re: waitlisting

Availability usually comes open at 7 days or less prior to flight, if there's only a few seats left. That you cannot waitlist, and it's also hard if not impossible to book it with JL itself due to the ticketing deadlines.
Got flights on Asiana with dreaded recline seats on the ICN-DEL leg. Was really looking forward to trying out the new Skysuite III on NRT-DEL. Next time I guess... Thanks again for potentially saving me from Econ on 20+ hours of flying!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FlyingKansan
Got flights on Asiana with dreaded recline seats on the ICN-DEL leg. Was really looking forward to trying out the new Skysuite III on NRT-DEL. Next time I guess... Thanks again for potentially saving me from Econ on 20+ hours of flying!
Ah yes, the OZ angled lie flats are really one of the worst, esp. as the footrest is unstable and on some sort of a spring (on most, not all, aircraft that have those), so you need to continually keep exercising your muscles to push it down while trying to sleep, which means you will be sore all over even if you manage to fall asleep on those, as your muscles never get to relax, and your knees have to bear your body weight from sliding down. And the OZ cabin (just like KE) is also always uncomfortably hot. Ugh....

But still beats coach.

(off topic, sorry)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by RealHJ
I don't think it's blocked. Just booked. From my experience, many JAL flights will get booked within a few minutes (sometimes seconds) of being released at 330 days out. If you want a specific flight on a specific date, you have to book at 330 days out 10am JST and be quick about it. That is especially so during popular travel times. (So now is the time to book for December...the time to book for September has long ago passed.)

There can be more availability opened up as existing bookings get canceled (not sure does it always go back into inventory, but most of the time it probably does). Best way to get that is to waitlist. Also closer in more tends to be released, like a month, two weeks, one week in, depending on how full (or not) the flight is, more tends to be released closer in.

It's advantageous to use JAL JMB to book further out and waitlist. For very close in bookings you actually cannot book it with JAL, as they restrict it. Close in bookings for the next day or thereabouts you can only book with other programs. (I know, not logical...but that's the way it is.)
Thanks so JL updated their award inventory once a day at 10 AM local time. I noticed a few awards popping up at T14 and then maybe T7. No real rhyme to it.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:08 pm

I've been monitoring JAL F award closely for about 2 months. In the past usually availability was pretty good T-14. But since about this week, I noticed there's almost 0 F availability all the way to T-14 (from today to Mar 21st for example only one day has F available). I verified using BA site and Alaska site. Has anyone noticed the same? I suspect JAL is blocking or refusing to release F award for mid-late march because of the cherry blossom. I also noticed the business class has been consistently full (or close to full) coming in to mid-late march. Could that be the reason as well?

I currently have 2 J awards ticketed, hoping to upgrade to F. I will keep checking but would appreciate any insights!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrliu88
I've been monitoring JAL F award closely for about 2 months. In the past usually availability was pretty good T-14. But since about this week, I noticed there's almost 0 F availability all the way to T-14 (from today to Mar 21st for example only one day has F available). I verified using BA site and Alaska site. Has anyone noticed the same? I suspect JAL is blocking or refusing to release F award for mid-late march because of the cherry blossom. I also noticed the business class has been consistently full (or close to full) coming in to mid-late march. Could that be the reason as well?

I currently have 2 J awards ticketed, hoping to upgrade to F. I will keep checking but would appreciate any insights!
nah its rather random. they would release if they plane is not so full and would not release if the plane is full.

they need to leave some seats for high CIV people.
mrliu88 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mrliu88

I have noticed before that the premium cabins are fairly heavily booked around April 1st. And looking at the amount of luggage being checked in, my guess is that the traffic of japanese companies repatriating staff before March 31st,and expatriating staff after April 1st, may have a heavy influence on the passenger numbers.

But I don't have any statistics to back up my guess.
mrliu88 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
The financial year in Japan ends in March and begins in April. March is the busy spring holiday (for families) and moving season for expats. Don’t expect any new award space during this season. Any openings are the exception rather than the norm.
mrliu88 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:15 pm

Consider connecting through SFO. My father and I are booked in F (not award) are the only people booked in the cabin (SFO HND 3/11, HND SFO 3/24). Not sure about other dates but there seems to be a ton of space open in F on this route.
mrliu88 likes this.

Last edited by Gino Troian; Mar 8, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:00 pm

Question about JMB Award.

I have found availability on a HND-KIX 13:00 flight in July on BA Avios for 2 seats, but i need a third (1 adult, 2 children). I was going to transfer some SPG for the 3rd.

Q1: It looks like I can only book about 3 months ahead of time for domestic flights. Is this correct? Are there any tricks to booking flights?

Q2: Can I book a 8-year old on their own itinerary? ( Book 2 flights with Avios, 1 with JMB ). They'd be flying together, but on a separate ticket.

Q3: Any tricks to guaranteeing getting that specific July flight? What time to they release award availability (Domestically).
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
The financial year in Japan ends in March and begins in April. March is the busy spring holiday (for families) and moving season for expats. Don’t expect any new award space during this season. Any openings are the exception rather than the norm.
Thank you @Tokyoite @CPH-Flyer @kaka for your insights! I am happy with the J awards I have now out of ORD. Should be a good trip!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo

Q2: Can I book a 8-year old on their own itinerary? ( Book 2 flights with Avios, 1 with JMB ). They'd be flying together, but on a separate ticket.
For domestic flight of JAL, 8 years or more old children are permitted to travel alone.
So, If the system permits, basically no problem. Seating selection may be an issue (how to sit together with separate bookings.)
Alternatively, you may consider child fare (half price of adult non restricted normal fare).

BTW,
6 to 7 years old children may travel alone when JAL's KIDS support service is used.
5 or less old children can't travel alone.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
I have found availability on a HND-KIX 13:00 flight in July on BA Avios for 2 seats, but i need a third (1 adult, 2 children). I was going to transfer some SPG for the 3rd. Q1: It looks like I can only book about 3 months ahead of time for domestic flights. Is this correct? Are there any tricks to booking flights?
Correct. No tricks to book tickets.
But, If you see 3 Avios award seats on any other flight that day (only 3 flights a day) , I suggest you book them. Or, just wait till the booking opens in May and buy a cash ticket.
Yes. At check in, just present all three of yourselves and there will not be any issue.

Q3: Any tricks to guaranteeing getting that specific July flight? What time to they release award availability (Domestically).
Nope. 60 days out. It is a minor glitch with JAL, in that awards beyond the 60 day window are available to JAL partners but not to its own JAL JMB members.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:17 pm

In addition to all the other problems with JAL phone reps (simply too many to list), has anyone else had trouble with them seeing EK award availability? Looking for a round trip in August; Qantas website showing two seats in F almost every day from DXB to JFK. JAL rep told me today that there was no availability at all in F from DXB to JFK during the month of August. Of course I'll call back and try a different rep, but was wondering if this (1) typical inflexibility/unwillingness on part of JAL reps or (2) if somehow EK isn't releasing as many award seats to JAL?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:23 am

Another interesting note regarding JAL availability in late March. I just got a notification today (I have alarms set for less than 4 F or A fare) so I went into experflyer and checked my flight (JL009 ORD-NRT on Mar 28) and the entire inventory for any class is 0. I checked the seatmap and only business class seem to be sold out. I also tried google the flight and they're not selling any tickets on this particular flight. Could the plane be sold out but just not reflected on seatmap? I don't think JAL will cancel this flight, but it's just a bit bizarre that the whole inventory turns 0 overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.