JAL award availability

Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:48 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
So, is it against JL's terms if I confirm myself on another flight on the same day? There is availability of an earlier flight and I can ticket it with flexible condition, will it automatically cancel my waitlist if JL does a system scan/sweep? If it's OK I'd like to book it as backup and then cancel when waitlist clears.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:30 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
So, is it against JL's terms if I confirm myself on another flight on the same day? There is availability of an earlier flight and I can ticket it with flexible condition, will it automatically cancel my waitlist if JL does a system scan/sweep? If it's OK I'd like to book it as backup and then cancel when waitlist clears.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28225757-post386.html

Have you read what I posted? The rules seem pretty clear to me.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:08 pm
jix

Sorry I mean to say booking the alternative refundable using AA/BA/CX miles which is not part of JMB rules. But I'm not sure if JL system will detect the passenger name and automatically cancel still.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Sorry I mean to say booking the alternative refundable using AA/BA/CX miles which is not part of JMB rules. But I'm not sure if JL system will detect the passenger name and automatically cancel still.
You risk having both bookings canceled in this case. I assume they know your FFP in the other program if you have ever redeemed or credited JL flights with those FFPs before. Not so hard for them to cross reference and create a customer profile with your personal info such as passport numbers.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/reservation/policy/
Japan Airlines may cancel any of bookings if customers have several bookings which cannot be actually used in terms of the itinerary
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/carriage/index_c006.html
(E) Cancellation of Reservations made by JAL
(1) JAL may, at its own discretion, cancel all or a part of the Passenger's reservations if two or more seats are reserved for the same Passenger and if:
(a) same section of routes on the same day are reserved;
(b) same section of routes on dates in close proximity to each other are reserved;
(c) different section of routes on the same date are reserved; or
(d) it is reasonably considered that the Passenger can not use all of the seats reserved.

(H) Personal Data
A Passenger agrees that his/her personal data will be furnished to JAL by the Passenger or his/her agent, will be retained by JAL or, if JAL deems necessary, will be transmitted by JAL to any of its own offices, other Carriers, the providers of travel services, government authorities or other entity or agency, for the purpose of making a reservation for Carriage, obtaining ancillary services, facilitating immigration and entry requirements or making available such data to government authorities or for any other purpose which JAL deems necessary in order to facilitate any convenience of the travel for the Passenger.

Last edited by JALPak; Apr 27, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:55 pm
jix

Originally Posted by JALPak
You risk having both bookings canceled in this case. I assume they know your FFP in the other program if you have ever redeemed or credited JL flights with those FFPs before. Not so hard for them to cross reference and create a customer profile with your personal info such as passport numbers.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/reservation/policy/

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/carriage/index_c006.html
Right ok thanks. I'll probably look on other carrier KE/OZ then.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Right ok thanks. I'll probably look on other carrier KE/OZ then.
Or NH
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:59 am
jix

Or NH
NH is expensive between Korea and Japan in November. UA wants 15k per Y seat one way on NH/OZ and NH 30k RT only.

JL's discounted 6k miles is nice but hard to find availability and it's only RT. So I'm pretty much down to using DL 7.5k on KE, or until JL opens up mileage redemption on KE flights.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Looking for a creative way to get to Europe from west coast, PHX-LAX-NRT-FRA. Connecting in NRT for the flight to FRA a better change of getting J? I'll want to be using AA miles, how many for one way?

TIA
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Looking for a creative way to get to Europe from west coast, PHX-LAX-NRT-FRA. Connecting in NRT for the flight to FRA a better change of getting J? I'll want to be using AA miles, how many for one way?

TIA
For the AA award price, you would need to ask in the AA forum.

I don't think a connection makes the availability easier to find, maybe actually harder as you have to find availability on two long haul flights.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:47 am
jix

Originally Posted by FlightNurse

TIA
That's 2 awards, PHX-NRT and NRT-FRA and you can find them here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For the AA award price, you would need to ask in the AA forum.

I don't think a connection makes the availability easier to find, maybe actually harder as you have to find availability on two long haul flights.
Not just the award price, questions on the AAward availability, etc belongs to the AA forum as well
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Is two-weeks still roughly the point at which JL releases additional award space to JMB members?

J is wide open (5 to 15 seats left), but F is unavailable, despite being F8 A8. It's a few days before Obon starts, so everything might fill up between now and then, but if it doesn't changing my award to F might be nice.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Is two-weeks still roughly the point at which JL releases additional award space to JMB members?

J is wide open (5 to 15 seats left), but F is unavailable, despite being F8 A8. It's a few days before Obon starts, so everything might fill up between now and then, but if it doesn't changing my award to F might be nice.
If there's no paid F passenger, it may be more cost effective to just use the F cabin as C instead. When you say 5-15 seats left in C, did you use the seat map? That is not an accurate indicator of availability in the cabin.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If there's no paid F passenger, it may be more cost effective to just use the F cabin as C instead. When you say 5-15 seats left in C, did you use the seat map? That is not an accurate indicator of availability in the cabin.
I looked at making another booking in addition to my existing reservation, and I checked the symbol that appeared (I believe it was a white triangle) against the key, which indicated 5-15 seats.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I looked at making another booking in addition to my existing reservation, and I checked the symbol that appeared (I believe it was a white triangle) against the key, which indicated 5-15 seats.
That's 10-15

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.