Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:32 pm

One thing that is puzzling me given the above--I am finding that on BA, award availability is NOT posting for all flights at 6pdt + 11 months. For instance, the later-in-the-day flight 5 from JFK to NRT still isn't listed at all for 5/4/16, though flight 3 showed up as an option a few hours ago at the 6pm time referenced above. The later flight always shows up eventually, but seemingly always a number of hours later. Fair to say that this is a glitch in the buggy BA results display and we should try at 6 pacific regardless?

Last edited by gutenmorgan; Jun 8, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was able to book JL 5 from JFK-NRT in first for the 15th of this month about a week ago. Had a business seat booked on CX then when the JL flight opened I just changed it to that.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:09 am

Just by way of update, i checked back in again this morning now that it's been 12 hours. Flight 3 awards that posted "on time" are still there. Flight 5, same day, still not posted at all. Will edit this post if i determine at some point when BA starts to show the later flight today.

(Since i haven't called, it could again be that the later flight also has awards aVailable and we just don't see it because of a faulty ba database pull that prioritizes their connecting flights. But then the issue should affect all dates with both flights, not just the most recent, and if I can't even see the awards I have little faith in an awards desk finding them independently)

Last edited by gutenmorgan; Jun 9, 2015 at 7:22 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:03 pm

I can confirm that jal 5 awards post to ba's website a day later than their other flights, at the same time. No clue why or whether that means no awards are available earlier in the day.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by gutenmorgan
I can confirm that jal 5 awards post to ba's website a day later than their other flights, at the same time. No clue why or whether that means no awards are available earlier in the day.
Interesting find. I wonder why that is. I never look at the JFK route. Is it the same as the west coast routes in that they release 2 F and 2J awards at a time?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:45 am

Good question--I feel like inventory used to be very good but at the moment almost nothing (max 1 that isn't economy). Hoping that this is because we are currently 331 days out from prime Golden Week 2016 and they are being unusually restrictive of awards as a result of anticipating high paid demand.

EDIT: looks like now the later flight from Jfk posting at the same time as the others (although still with almost no inventory)

Last edited by gutenmorgan; Jun 10, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
I've been looking for availability for two Y seats on a JL ITM-HND flight on 16th Aug 15.
BA.com are showing available seats on about 7 flights everyday in August except the 16th
Any idea if this may be a glitch or is there a holiday I haven't discovered etc as I think it would be very unlikely for 28 odd seats to go on one day.

Regards
AQ
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:15 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
I've been looking for availability for two Y seats on a JL ITM-HND flight on 16th Aug 15.
BA.com are showing available seats on about 7 flights everyday in August except the 16th
Any idea if this may be a glitch or is there a holiday I haven't discovered etc as I think it would be very unlikely for 28 odd seats to go on one day.

Regards
AQ
obon
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:25 pm

Thank you very much JALPak

For some reason I thought Obon was in July this year

Any idea what the expressway traffic will be expected to be between Osaka and Tokyo as I have to return a hire car on the Sunday or Monday?

AQ
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:26 am

If F=0, I can just give up on an award seat. Correct?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by bmchris
If F=0, I can just give up on an award seat. Correct?
That depends on if the flight is truly F=0. Just make sure you aren't using Expertflyer to check fare bucket inventory as it is usually not correct and most times shows less inventory than truly available. The only way I know to check for true inventory is to make a dummy booking and increase the number of seats one at a time till the system won't sell you the requested number of tickets.

Also, just keep in mind that F passengers change/cancel flights near departure all the time. Keep checking as the date gets closer to departure.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA G MM, AS 75K MVP, Delta Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, PC Spire
Last Minute Availability (Within 2 weeks)

Is there a certain time of the day that JAL loads close in reward inventory (aka midnight Tokyo tome) or is it randomly throughout the day? For initial (330 days) inventory it is 10am Tokyo time. Thanks!!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by coco11
I booked an award flight from DTW to SFO to HND to SIN (route trip) for Business class (110,000 miles plus 69.50USD taxes) from AA miles

I wonder how could you get only $5 tax for one way?
Do I miss something?
Singapore probably has more departure taxes and fees. We are booked in FC LAX-NRT and then HKG-LAX next year. Paid $5 each for the first leg and about $100 each for the second (might be less; I'm too lazy to check). Still a bargain!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by jmmlaguna
Is there a certain time of the day that JAL loads close in reward inventory (aka midnight Tokyo tome) or is it randomly throughout the day? For initial (330 days) inventory it is 10am Tokyo time. Thanks!!
I'm wondering the same please. Looking to book a reward flight HND to PEK in late August. None available as yet, any idea when JL will post on BA.com?
Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
I'm wondering the same please. Looking to book a reward flight HND to PEK in late August. None available as yet, any idea when JL will post on BA.com?
Thanks
Any ideas on this one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.