Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by JALPak
They've been very clear. It doesn't count no matter who issued your ticket.

You may be better off crediting to a different program and stay away from JMB. It has been having annual or bi-annual devaluation since a couple of years ago.
I just want to do it once so I get the (sort of kind of) lifetime Sapphire status.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:52 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I just want to do it once so I get the (sort of kind of) lifetime Sapphire status.
good luck with that
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
She asked for ALL flights so the answer should be no You got no option on GMP e.g.
I always wondered about the reason for that. The Dark Side does offer choices on GMP. And champagne in J.

Has it always been like that on JL?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I always wondered about the reason for that. The Dark Side does offer choices on GMP. And champagne in J.

Has it always been like that on JL?
Not sure. I only started checking that route out couple of years back due to ridiculously cheap upgradable transpacific C fares Others old timers may know though
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:52 am

Does JAL release additional award availability?

I'm looking for availability for next april round trip from NYC to Tokyo and while they have released a couple seats, there's almost nothing for the return dates i'm looking at. Do they ever release additional seats or only very close to departure if seats are unsold?

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by snostr
I'm looking for availability for next april round trip from NYC to Tokyo and while they have released a couple seats, there's almost nothing for the return dates i'm looking at. Do they ever release additional seats or only very close to departure if seats are unsold?

Thanks
I would say only very close in, but I don't have a huge statistic to go by. Also depends on the class you are looking for. And when April you want to return to New York. If very late April, you will get in to the Golden Week rush....
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by snostr

Thanks
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would say only very close in, but I don't have a huge statistic to go by. Also depends on the class you are looking for. And when April you want to return to New York. If very late April, you will get in to the Golden Week rush....
The unofficial strategy for JAL seems to be this:

- one or two seats released when inventory is loaded
- absolutely nothing until 2 weeks
- at 2 weeks more or less like clockwork, some F and J seats are released UNLESS the flight has a single F seat remaining - this will never be released as it's kept for a last-minute sale.

It's not an ironclad rule - I've seen seats not come up in the 2 week window, but overall, I've seen more seats come up than not, especially if you have a couple of days' flexibility.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The unofficial strategy for JAL seems to be this:

- one or two seats released when inventory is loaded
- absolutely nothing until 2 weeks
- at 2 weeks more or less like clockwork, some F and J seats are released UNLESS the flight has a single F seat remaining - this will never be released as it's kept for a last-minute sale.

It's not an ironclad rule - I've seen seats not come up in the 2 week window, but overall, I've seen more seats come up than not, especially if you have a couple of days' flexibility.
It is the geneal flow of things, but there are sometimes spikes and draughts in availability. Though in the last year or two the releases of F at T-14 days has become more stable, and the availability spkies has basically not happened.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Partner Airlines Access to Domestic Awards

When does JAL allow access to domestic awards for partner airlines(ie. AA)?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbc94523
When does JAL allow access to domestic awards for partner airlines(ie. AA)?
you need to check with the partner airlines for their T&C
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Does JAL offer re-order of lost/broken JGC luggage tag? Mine was torn completely on my last trip.. I use my 1 star tag for another suitcase and given Oct delivery timing I am probably 1.5 years away from receiving the two stars..
Just to add to the forum knowledge base, JAL actually offers replacement for free.. you’ll need to call the JGC hotline and it’ll normally take 1 months, currently 1.5-2 months due to volume
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA blue
Hi!
I might go OSL - HND (or NRT if i have to) in september.

The best options for flights seems to be either via London or Helsinki.
I've done the trip in premium economy via London on the 19:15 flight before, and the timing on that is quite good if i'm so lucky that i'll manage to get some sleep. As you probably know that's on a 777.

This time it seems that i'll have to do the trip in eco.

Via Helsinki i'll get the 787, which i understand has one of the best economy seats in the sky, but how is the 777 seats in comparison? Are they significantly worse or smaller?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Y seats on 787 is 1cm wider but there are certain seats on 777-300ER that has 2cm extra seat pitch. I would go for the 787 flight mainly for the higher cabin humidity.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BA blue
Y seats on 787 is 1cm wider but there are certain seats on 777-300ER that has 2cm extra seat pitch. I would go for the 787 flight mainly for the higher cabin humidity.
It seems like the 787 flights go to NRT, not HND. My hotel is in Shinjuku so i understand getting there from NRT takes a bit more time and is more expensive? Getting there from HND last time was relatively smooth. Then i guess the 1cm and higher humidity might not be worth it?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mckvakk
It seems like the 787 flights go to NRT, not HND. My hotel is in Shinjuku so i understand getting there from NRT takes a bit more time and is more expensive? Getting there from HND last time was relatively smooth. Then i guess the 1cm and higher humidity might not be worth it?
It's really up to you. NRT vs HND doesn't make much difference to me. Flight schedule matters more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.