Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 4:30 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Website problem of the day, it mistakenly thinks I am double booking on similar itinerary when I purchased JEP and wouldn't let me enter my JMB number to the reservation at all. Come on, it's a oneway HND-OKA and I am not even flying HND-OKA on that day and connecting times are > MCT. Stupid Amadeus
Old May 9, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1) I doubt it very much if we are talking about a simple return flight. Very complex itineraries might be better to call than to do on airline homepages.
Well, it's just about a round-trip FRA-NRT. Sad part is that when searching on JAL website, there's only Economy standard left. I suspect ticket brokers bought the complete Economy (super) value contingent. Not happy about that... I prefer to do my bookings directly at the airline. Just wanted to know if there's a chance to get a better price by calling the airline.

@rustykettel
Thanks for the blog. I remember seeing that one already. The main problem is that the blogger had a "soft case" for its bike, I prefer using a hard bike suitcase to prevent damage (well, you can not exclude that but special bike suitcases are made to prevent this) as a racing bicycle is very expensive. ANA allows oversized bike suitcases (up to 290cm), you just need to call them so they are prepared. But you don't have to pay additional service fee. On the JAL page, I can't find sports equipment mentioned, so I'm worried they will charged the additional fee (200€ per flight). In that case I think it's easier to rent a bike for my competition next year (I'm just an amateur, so that won't be that much of a problem).

Anyway, thanks everybody for help
Old May 9, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seyan
Well, it's just about a round-trip FRA-NRT. Sad part is that when searching on JAL website, there's only Economy standard left. I suspect ticket brokers bought the complete Economy (super) value contingent. Not happy about that... I prefer to do my bookings directly at the airline. Just wanted to know if there's a chance to get a better price by calling the airline.

@rustykettel
Thanks for the blog. I remember seeing that one already. The main problem is that the blogger had a "soft case" for its bike, I prefer using a hard bike suitcase to prevent damage (well, you can not exclude that but special bike suitcases are made to prevent this) as a racing bicycle is very expensive. ANA allows oversized bike suitcases (up to 290cm), you just need to call them so they are prepared. But you don't have to pay additional service fee. On the JAL page, I can't find sports equipment mentioned, so I'm worried they will charged the additional fee (200€ per flight). In that case I think it's easier to rent a bike for my competition next year (I'm just an amateur, so that won't be that much of a problem).

Anyway, thanks everybody for help
JAL - ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

sport equipment except for surfboards and windsurfing equipments will be treated as regular luggage which means those are subject to oversize charge
Old May 9, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by JALPak
sport equipment except for surfboards and windsurfing equipments will be treated as regular luggage which means those are subject to oversize charge
Thank you in that case I will switch to ANA if I want to bring my own bike.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:51 am

Just wanted to post some information here for other fellow newbies. After hearing someone have trouble with redeeming an award ticket with Starpoints, I called JAL to ask some questions (they actually answered straight away, so maybe Thursdays at 1:30pm EST is a good time to call?). They said their systems have been flagging large Starpoint transfers as fraud, and they put those accounts on lock and hold any tickets from being issued. She recommended that after we transfer the points in to call to get your account unlocked before redeeming award tickets. Just thought I'd share the information to prevent anyone else from having headaches.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
On QF and BA websites, I see JL premium economy award space that I would like to book. I don't have 500k BA or QF points to book all the tickets I need, so what other partners let you book JL PE awards?

If JL is the best/only program, what are the common options for transferring into JL?

Thanks!
-janet
Old May 12, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by janetdoe
On QF and BA websites, I see JL premium economy award space that I would like to book. I don't have 500k BA or QF points to book all the tickets I need, so what other partners let you book JL PE awards?

If JL is the best/only program, what are the common options for transferring into JL?

Thanks!
-janet
SPG is probably the most common way to transfer points to JMB.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Mileage claim

I am new to JMB and really appreciate all your help.

I signed up JMB last year but until recently that I have decided to aim for Saphire this year as I will have two long haul J class on JL metal. I also have flown a few long haul J class on AA, RJ and CX this year, but haven’t credited to any FFP yet. I want to know if JMB will allow me to claim mileage on only one segment (out of four) in a single AA ticket as I plan to put the other three segments in CX.

I know theoretically it is feasible, but I wonder if anyone has done this. My previous experience in regards to mileage with JL wasn’t too pleasant. I requested them to take out my CX FFP at check-in in NRT, while no FFP number was shown on bp, it still credited to my CX account a week later. What I am feared is they will credit all four instead of only one when I submit my claim.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: JGC premier
Does JAL offer re-order of lost/broken JGC luggage tag? Mine was torn completely on my last trip.. I use my 1 star tag for another suitcase and given Oct delivery timing I am probably 1.5 years away from receiving the two stars..
Old May 13, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Chatter
I am new to JMB and really appreciate all your help.

I signed up JMB last year but until recently that I have decided to aim for Saphire this year as I will have two long haul J class on JL metal. I also have flown a few long haul J class on AA, RJ and CX this year, but haven’t credited to any FFP yet. I want to know if JMB will allow me to claim mileage on only one segment (out of four) in a single AA ticket as I plan to put the other three segments in CX.

I know theoretically it is feasible, but I wonder if anyone has done this. My previous experience in regards to mileage with JL wasn’t too pleasant. I requested them to take out my CX FFP at check-in in NRT, while no FFP number was shown on bp, it still credited to my CX account a week later. What I am feared is they will credit all four instead of only one when I submit my claim.
When you apply for retro credit it is done one flight at a time, so no risk of you apply for one flight that all four will be credited,

​​​​​​There are many stories around of people trying to change or remove FFP number at check in or at the gate, and still the miles still being credited to the number originally entered Not specifically a JAL issue, it happens on all airlines Some cases are triggered by people wanting to use one program for lounge access and another for the credit. Other cases the number just seems to be very sticky Typically the best way is to remove it via manage booking (if an airline has that option) or via the call center before going to the airport.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Does JAL offer re-order of lost/broken JGC luggage tag? Mine was torn completely on my last trip.. I use my 1 star tag for another suitcase and given Oct delivery timing I am probably 1.5 years away from receiving the two stars..
and you didn’t file a damaged luggage claim with JL on the spot?

they used to replace damaged tags but I am not sure if they still do given all the cost savings.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by JALPak

and you didn’t file a damaged luggage claim with JL on the spot?

they used to replace damaged tags but I am not sure if they still do given all the cost savings.
It was damaged when I was taking IB/ QR flight at 11 pm after nearly 24 hours flight on the last day of golden week, it wasn’t worth the effort
Old May 13, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Double charge for taxes on award ticket

Hello all

Has anyone had an issue with JL double charging the credit card for the taxes on an award ticket? I have contacted the credit card as it is not an insignificant amount and travel is months away. Hope there is no issue with the the ticket when they refund the charge.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all

Has anyone had an issue with JL double charging the credit card for the taxes on an award ticket? I have contacted the credit card as it is not an insignificant amount and travel is months away. Hope there is no issue with the the ticket when they refund the charge.
They had a brief period with problems on the payment systems. Contact JAL and it will be sorted out.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1907515-jal-charged-same-ticket-multiple-times.html#post29728477
Old May 15, 2018, 12:24 am
Original Poster

I "screwed up" the OLCI. Now my JL boarding pass is in AA format because I am connecting from an AA flight and they directed me to aa.com for OLCI I was too lazy to check in from aa.com first after a long day with my flight diverted due to medical emergency. Next time I will do this in the proper order and hopefully Amadeus won't be directing me to aa.com when it sees I've checked in for the AA flight already.

Let's see if I can "fix it" by trying to OCLI or print boarding pass again after OLCI is closed for the AA flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.