Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by forthecookies
I am flying CGK-NRT-SEA with a 10-hour daytime layover at NRT (07:35 to 15:40). My bags will get checked through to SEA, right?
Hi,

Yes they will be

Regards

TBS
forthecookies likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:52 am

Does anyone know what the legroom is like in the Y bulkhead row (18) on the 787-8? I believe it'll be this layout (https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-788-e12). I know some bulkheads can feel a little tight and wonder how JAL compares.

Thanks
Kevin
Old Apr 8, 2024, 2:22 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyKev
Does anyone know what the legroom is like in the Y bulkhead row (18) on the 787-8? I believe it'll be this layout (https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-788-e12). I know some bulkheads can feel a little tight and wonder how JAL compares.

Thanks
Kevin
You can see the photo here https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/214844
Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:14 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
When is your flight? Have you checked the cancellation fee? It could be as low as 5% of the before tax fare if it’s far out.
Flight within 30 days unfortunately. Looks like I'll be waiting for a same day upgrade T-3hrs out!

Thanks all
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:50 pm

Hello everyone
absolute Newbie here

We're already stuck at the booking process. we would LOVE to book business class going from Europe to Tokyo but economy back home.
It seems to be impossible? Booking only shows the next higher booking class which is premium economy.
I tried using the "multi city" options but prices are 20% higher than offered at round trip

Maybe thats just the way it is...paying extra if you dont use the same class twice but i just wanted to check if anyone got a trick up their sleeves that i cant think of.

P.S. Bidding later on and hoping just isnt the same
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Nethelion
Hello everyone
absolute Newbie here

We're already stuck at the booking process. we would LOVE to book business class going from Europe to Tokyo but economy back home.
It seems to be impossible? Booking only shows the next higher booking class which is premium economy.
I tried using the "multi city" options but prices are 20% higher than offered at round trip

Maybe thats just the way it is...paying extra if you dont use the same class twice but i just wanted to check if anyone got a trick up their sleeves that i cant think of.

P.S. Bidding later on and hoping just isnt the same
Try searching for upgradable fares. Non-upgradable ones will return too, including Y and PY fares. But of course YMMV depending on your routing.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Try searching for upgradable fares. Non-upgradable ones will return too, including Y and PY fares. But of course YMMV depending on your routing.
What about separate tickets for outbound and return?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
What about separate tickets for outbound and return?
Two one way tickets will be far more expensive than one return.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:35 pm

Does JL reprice cash tickets if the fare goes down? I believe ours was Business Special Plus but can I confirm if I look at my receipt? Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:20 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
We have an award ticked on JL, booked via QF miles, for HIJ-HND (Class J) connecting to HND-SYD (Business), all on one ticket. My QF e-ticket seems to indicate both are booking class U.

My question is whether it's still possible to request a paid day of departure upgrade from J to F for HIJ-HND? The page on JL's site ( https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/dom/boar...d_upgrade.html ) under applicable fares includes "JAL Domestic Award Ticket", but given our ticket is 1) booked by partner miles, not JL miles and 2) not a domestic-only ticket, given there's also an international flight on the same booking, I'm not sure if we qualify?

I have been able to assign seats for our flights on the JL website, but it does seem to have limited functionality for our booking, so my guess is that even if we are eligible, we won't be able to make the request using the online system. If that's the case, is there a way to request the upgrade manually from the airport?

[I realise our chances of securing this are low, even if we are eligble. But I have such a great memory of my F meal on HND-ITM last year that I'm super keen to try it again!

Last edited by mad_atta; Apr 15, 2024 at 9:53 pm
Old Apr 15, 2024, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_atta
We have an award ticked on JL, booked via QF miles, for HIJ-HND (Class J) connecting to HND-SYD (Business), all on one ticket. My QF e-ticket seems to indicate both are booking class U.

My question is whether it's still possible to request a paid day of departure upgrade from J to F for HIJ-HND? The page on JL's site ( https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/dom/boar...d_upgrade.html ) under applicable fares includes "JAL Domestic Award Ticket", but given our ticket is 1) booked by partner mile, not JL miles and 2) not a domestic-only ticket, given there's also an international flight on the same booking, I'm not sure if we qualify?

I have been able to assign seats for our flights on the JL website, but it does seem to have limited functionality for our booking, so my guess is that even if we are eligible, we won't be able to make the request using the online system. If that's the case, is there a way to request the upgrade manually from the airport?

[I realise our chances of securing this are low, even if we are eligble. But I have such a great memory of my F meal on HND-ITM last year that I'm super keen to try it again!
It is eligible for day of departure upgrade, but you might have to ask at the airport rather than online as your ticket has to be managed via the international side of JAL's homepage.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:55 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is eligible for day of departure upgrade, but you might have to ask at the airport rather than online as your ticket has to be managed via the international side of JAL's homepage.
Thanks CPH-Flyer. that's good news. Presumably the same applies to online check in, ie we should check in via the international site and generatin mobile boarding pass etc that way (rather than the purely domestic bar code system)?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Are day of departure upgrades limited to domestic flights? I booked JAL PY from LAX-NRT using BA Avios. It's a daytime flight so PY is not the end of the world given we will have already eaten our fill in the AA Flagship and LAX OW lounges before boarding, but is there an option for a purchased day of departure upgrade to business from P class? I'm assuming an op-up is highly unlikely even as a JAL JGC/Sapphire.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are day of departure upgrades limited to domestic flights? I booked JAL PY from LAX-NRT using BA Avios. It's a daytime flight so PY is not the end of the world given we will have already eaten our fill in the AA Flagship and LAX OW lounges before boarding, but is there an option for a purchased day of departure upgrade to business from P class? I'm assuming an op-up is highly unlikely even as a JAL JGC/Sapphire.
Cash day of departure upgrades to J or F is not a thing on international flights. You can, if booked on eligible classes use miles to upgrade to J from Y or PY, or to F from J. Award tickets are not amongst the eligible classes for mileage upgrade. So anything other than an OPUP is not going to happen. OPUPs are exceedingly rare on JAL.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It's not entirely clear from the JAL site, but for arrivals into terminal 3 at HND from a long haul intl flight in F, do arrival passengers get access to the first class lounge or just the TIAT shower room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.