Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
I think PE bulkhead row in SQ would be your best bet; even me being relatively skinny/healthy and average height, the seats are pretty restrictive once the person in front of you reclines. I felt better in JL Y than SQ's PY. I would check the SQ sub-forum as to not become too off topic here. I become too uncomfortable in a plane for that long (18-19 hours for non-stop flight), so I would prefer JFK-HND-SIN in J. Give yourself some stretching opportunity, a break from the flying, and enjoy yourself at the JL and/or CX lounges at HND!

To move between low-cost positioning flights and having larger bags, your positioning flight fare may end up more expensive than a regular airline that comes with some bag allowance. Save yourself the hassle and take the easier routing to SIN. Enjoy the APEX Suites (they are very roomy) and good quality dining if you end up with JAL!

Thanks. I don’t know what APEX suites are, but I’ll google. We want to be in Business and I suppose suites are in First?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:35 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks. I don’t know what APEX suites are, but I’ll google. We want to be in Business and I suppose suites are in First?
Apex suites are just business class

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se.../skysuite.html

I personally would avoid the 763 flights to/from SIN. Those business class seats are very narrow and I didn’t find it comfortable to sleep in at all.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:46 pm

Hello all,

I have a JAL flight (cathay redemption), JL4, that lands in JFK at 6:30PM. I have an AA flight that I booked separately that departs at 8PM. I called and they said they were not able to check through the baggage through the phone, however, the agents at Haneda may allow it. Considering I'm not going to be at Haneda for a couple of months, I was wondering if anyone had any sort of luck with this situation of checking through baggage from JAL to AA on separate PNRs (same passengers) on a short layover. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mentaltam
Hello all,

I have a JAL flight (cathay redemption), JL4, that lands in JFK at 6:30PM. I have an AA flight that I booked separately that departs at 8PM. I called and they said they were not able to check through the baggage through the phone, however, the agents at Haneda may allow it. Considering I'm not going to be at Haneda for a couple of months, I was wondering if anyone had any sort of luck with this situation of checking through baggage from JAL to AA on separate PNRs (same passengers) on a short layover. Thanks in advance!
This sounds incredibly tight to me even in single PNR. Don't forget you need to enter US and recheck your luggage even if it has been tagged through to your final destination. JAL is listing minimum connection time of 75min to AA domestic flights for JFK
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/ai...20Terminal%208.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Hello all,

JAL will tag your luggage through to your final destination. But your time saved is quite small. As mentioned above you do need to to through full US immigration, reclaim your luggage and bring it to the counter to recheck it. Marginally quicker if checked through admittedly. And you then need to go through security at T8 before heading to the gate.

If you have global entry, it might be OK as a connection. If you have to go through immigration for foreign passport holders it is a super risky connection.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by patrickw
This sounds incredibly tight to me even in single PNR. Don't forget you need to enter US and recheck your luggage even if it has been tagged through to your final destination. JAL is listing minimum connection time of 75min to AA domestic flights for JFK.
Thanks for providing the minimum connection time with a link, that's a handy piece of info to know. Luckily my layover is slightly longer than 75 minutes, so at least by that I should skate by.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL will tag your luggage through to your final destination. But your time saved is quite small. As mentioned above you do need to to through full US immigration, reclaim your luggage and bring it to the counter to recheck it. Marginally quicker if checked through admittedly. And you then need to go through security at T8 before heading to the gate.

If you have global entry, it might be OK as a connection. If you have to go through immigration for foreign passport holders it is a super risky connection.
My wife and I both have global entry, so we were banking on that plus the departure and the arrival being in the same T8 terminal. Also thanks for the confirmation!
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
My wife and I both have global entry, so we were banking on that plus the departure and the arrival being in the same T8 terminal. Also thanks for the confirmation!
Keep in mind AA flights start boarding about a half hour before departure, and assuming the plane is there on time, the gate agents are pretty good about closing the door at T-15, meaning you actually only have 75 minutes to deplane (assuming an on time arrival), clear immigration (might be a bit of a walk, but with GE should only be a few minutes to actually clear), wait for your bags (you'll almost certainly get there before they do), recheck your bags (which must be done by T-45 if they aren't already tagged), get upstairs to the security checkpoint, clear security (should be 10 minutes or less since you presumably have Precheck), and walk to your new gate. Theoretically doable, but a lot can go wrong.

You don't mention what your destination is, but there aren't a lot that have additional departures after 8pm, so you might want to consider your backup plan if you misconnect.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying back home on JAL F (via American Airlines award points) on HND -> DWF; flight is "JL 12" so JL metal. I'm pretty sure it's yes for both, but I wanted to confirm that we'll have access to 1) JAL first class entrance and 2) JAL first class lounge? Thanks again.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Raralith
Flying back home on JAL F (via American Airlines award points) on HND -> DWF; flight is "JL 12" so JL metal. I'm pretty sure it's yes for both, but I wanted to confirm that we'll have access to 1) JAL first class entrance and 2) JAL first class lounge? Thanks again.
Yes, you will have access to both.
Raralith likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:35 pm

Would like some advice please

Flying on the 789 in Y. Can the seats 59H and K recline as they are the last row? Are they good seats or would you recommend another pair?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KaiW90
Would like some advice please

Flying on the 789 in Y. Can the seats 59H and K recline as they are the last row? Are they good seats or would you recommend another pair?

Thanks in advance!!
Yes, they recline.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:53 am

I'm flying JL12 (HND-DFW) booked with Qantas points. Will I be able to check through luggage on a seperately booked domestic JL flight landing at HND the night before?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f3rancis
I'm flying JL12 (HND-DFW) booked with Qantas points. Will I be able to check through luggage on a seperately booked domestic JL flight landing at HND the night before?

Thanks!
Yes, JAL will check luggage through from a domestic flight to an international on separate tickets. You will need to go to the counter for international connections, leave some extra time for check in, and preferably bring a print of your e-ticket.
f3rancis likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:09 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, GarudaMiles
Hi I have upcoming flight of JL314 on Y, and purchase it via JAL EXPLORER PASS, is it possible to do departure date upgrade to F class?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by richiealexander
Hi I have upcoming flight of JL314 on Y, and purchase it via JAL EXPLORER PASS, is it possible to do departure date upgrade to F class?
Yes, it is available at the airport. If F seat is not available at the airport check-in then you can be put on the wait list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.