FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:22 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mentaltam
Hello all,

I have a JAL flight (cathay redemption), JL4, that lands in JFK at 6:30PM. I have an AA flight that I booked separately that departs at 8PM. I called and they said they were not able to check through the baggage through the phone, however, the agents at Haneda may allow it. Considering I'm not going to be at Haneda for a couple of months, I was wondering if anyone had any sort of luck with this situation of checking through baggage from JAL to AA on separate PNRs (same passengers) on a short layover. Thanks in advance!
JAL will tag your luggage through to your final destination. But your time saved is quite small. As mentioned above you do need to to through full US immigration, reclaim your luggage and bring it to the counter to recheck it. Marginally quicker if checked through admittedly. And you then need to go through security at T8 before heading to the gate.

If you have global entry, it might be OK as a connection. If you have to go through immigration for foreign passport holders it is a super risky connection.