Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by JALPak
No point of waiting because the miles have been credited. You need to give JMB a call and ask for procedure to get this fix.
JMB is useless. All they tell me is if it's credited to AA they cannot credit again. Call AA. Like you said, I would have thought they would have at least got some procedures to get this solved... but none.

Called AA, they told me to call again Monday to ask for AAdvantage service to see if they can crawl back the miles. When inquired about the FF# changes, AA said as long as it's AA flight (even code share), everything follows the AA system. Whatever JL does will not change the system. The return flight was still under AA system even though a change was already initiated at the check in for the outbound.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
JMB is useless. All they tell me is if it's credited to AA they cannot credit again. Call AA. Like you said, I would have thought they would have at least got some procedures to get this solved... but none.

Called AA, they told me to call again Monday to ask for AAdvantage service to see if they can crawl back the miles. When inquired about the FF# changes, AA said as long as it's AA flight (even code share), everything follows the AA system. Whatever JL does will not change the system. The return flight was still under AA system even though a change was already initiated at the check in for the outbound.
A tip when you want to change frequent flyer program is to first remove it completely. Then at a later point add the new one.

There is little that JMB can do in this situation, other than refer you to AA. AA need to take the first action for this to work. And JMB can't call and ask AA to change things in relation to your account, you will need to do that yourself.

It is an unfortunate situation, it happens from time to time on most airlines for various reasons, it can often be ironed out, it does require the action from your side.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
JL 2 HND to SFO in F old reports have it being a reduced service but that seems to be when the schedule had it departing much later. I am booked next month and first time in JAL F, is it a normal dinner service with a 750 pm departure time?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
JL 2 HND to SFO in F old reports have it being a reduced service but that seems to be when the schedule had it departing much later. I am booked next month and first time in JAL F, is it a normal dinner service with a 750 pm departure time?
Yes.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
A tip when you want to change frequent flyer program is to first remove it completely. Then at a later point add the new one.

There is little that JMB can do in this situation, other than refer you to AA. AA need to take the first action for this to work. And JMB can't call and ask AA to change things in relation to your account, you will need to do that yourself.

It is an unfortunate situation, it happens from time to time on most airlines for various reasons, it can often be ironed out, it does require the action from your side.
I got AA to remove the miles. Have to say AA is quite helpful in this case.

I called JL, he said I can do it online. I then talked about how I have to wait for 14 days for partner flights and the guy on the phone seems clueless about why there is a wait. He said there is no need to wait. I told him when I select the dates it won't let me submit cause it's not yet time. He then said I would need to follow what the system says if that's the case and there is nothing he can do about it.

When inquired about e-mailing the copy of the boarding pass, he said JL must have the original boarding pass plus a copy of the itinerary by register mail should the online system fail to credit. They will process it once it's received.

Then I asked if I can mail the boarding pass now and skip the online process, he said yes (why couldn't he just tell me that at first lol).
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I got AA to remove the miles. Have to say AA is quite helpful in this case.

I called JL, he said I can do it online. I then talked about how I have to wait for 14 days for partner flights and the guy on the phone seems clueless about why there is a wait. He said there is no need to wait. I told him when I select the dates it won't let me submit cause it's not yet time. He then said I would need to follow what the system says if that's the case and there is nothing he can do about it.

When inquired about e-mailing the copy of the boarding pass, he said JL must have the original boarding pass plus a copy of the itinerary by register mail should the online system fail to credit. They will process it once it's received.

Then I asked if I can mail the boarding pass now and skip the online process, he said yes (why couldn't he just tell me that at first lol).
Good to hear it worked out, and that it was easy to get AA to reverse the credit. Not all airlines are quick to do that.

The 14 day wait is basically to allow for system delays, so that people don't submit a lot of claims for flights that will still come through automatically. Basically buffer time.

One thing you will have to get used to in dealing with JAL is that everything is very much by the book, following the printed flow of how things are supposed to be. This is not just airlines, but very much Japan. It usually works very well, if a bit frustrating at times.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stromile
hi all - hoping to book an int'l award RT flight for two on a partner (EK) airline (JFK-MXP). have the points ready to transfer and cleared all the hurdles in this thread re: names matching etc. called in to verify availability from expertflyer reports because i wasn't sure if i was using it correctly. there was a bit of a language barrier with the customer service rep, but i believe in passing at the end she said that i need to have passport information for myself and/or my wife in order to book the flight (which is 300+ days out). i can call back to verify, but does this sound right? do i need valid and updated passports to book the award flights? any clue whether a rule like this would come from the JAL side or the partner we would be flying on (here, EK)? i've never had a passport, and i presume wife needs a new one reflecting her recently changed married name.

if we have to get the passports lined up first that's fine, i can chalk the delay up to a learning experience. but if it's more likely a misunderstanding, i'd certainly prefer to get the thing booked sooner than later.
Sounds pretty standard. While I have actually never booked an award ticket, I have flow internationaly several times and am always asked for passport numbers.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Good to hear it worked out, and that it was easy to get AA to reverse the credit. Not all airlines are quick to do that.

The 14 day wait is basically to allow for system delays, so that people don't submit a lot of claims for flights that will still come through automatically. Basically buffer time.

One thing you will have to get used to in dealing with JAL is that everything is very much by the book, following the printed flow of how things are supposed to be. This is not just airlines, but very much Japan. It usually works very well, if a bit frustrating at times.
Yes it's frustrating cause apparently they don't really know how exactly their online system works. Sometimes they are just robots repeating the same thing or say sorry but I cannot do that... or the system won't allow me to do that etc. Not very helpful in the customer service perspective.

Yea, but I know there is no buffer time cause AA took it in the first place, so it will never get registered to JL by the system

Ended up doing certified mail with receipt (~6) cause registered mail (~12) was way too expensive... the mail tracking shown it just arrived at their mail room, wonder when will they actually get to it...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I booked an N class fare from jfk to Singapore pore with a stop in Tokyo both ways. It's my first real long haul flight and I'd like to get whatever miles I can earn. I'm new to this but I was thinking miles with an American partner would be much more useful to me in the near future. Any recommendations of which program to use?
After giving a quick search, it seems American and Alaska are my best bet. I'm leaning Alaska at the moment as I was planning on opening their card and using the miles and companion fare to tour the west coast next summer, what do ya think?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by layoverdan
I booked an N class fare from jfk to Singapore pore with a stop in Tokyo both ways. It's my first real long haul flight and I'd like to get whatever miles I can earn. I'm new to this but I was thinking miles with an American partner would be much more useful to me in the near future. Any recommendations of which program to use?
After giving a quick search, it seems American and Alaska are my best bet. I'm leaning Alaska at the moment as I was planning on opening their card and using the miles and companion fare to tour the west coast next summer, what do ya think?
Welcome! That's probably not a bad idea if these are the only JAL flights you're going to take in the short term with JMB miles expiring 3 years after earning.

Since you're asking about two non-JMB programs though, you'll probably want to take a look (or post) at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...l#post28410914 thread.

Or leaning towards Alaska already, the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-new-old.html may also be of interest!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Welcome! That's probably not a bad idea if these are the only JAL flights you're going to take in the short term with JMB miles expiring 3 years after earning.

Since you're asking about two non-JMB programs though, you'll probably want to take a look (or post) at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...l#post28410914 thread.

Or leaning towards Alaska already, the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-new-old.html may also be of interest!
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:42 pm

If you had to pick, JL61 LAX-NRT vs JL1 SFO-HND in F, which one and why?

I'm going to be booking one or the other in the next couple of weeks and can't decide. I would probably rather fly into HND and deal with SFO rather than LAX.

But JL61 gets in around 5PM and would arguably still allow for a reasonable dinner after getting settled? While JL1 gets in around 7:30PM.

Not sure if this has a big bearing but the lounges I would get access to in LAX vs SFO?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reverted
If you had to pick, JL61 LAX-NRT vs JL1 SFO-HND in F, which one and why?

I'm going to be booking one or the other in the next couple of weeks and can't decide. I would probably rather fly into HND and deal with SFO rather than LAX.

But JL61 gets in around 5PM and would arguably still allow for a reasonable dinner after getting settled? While JL1 gets in around 7:30PM.

Not sure if this has a big bearing but the lounges I would get access to in LAX vs SFO?
Depending on where you stay, at good chunk of the difference in arrival time will be eaten up by getting in from Narita. At least an hour extra transport time.

In SFO there is a fairly unexciting JAL Sakura Lounge, with a small section if seats reserved for F passengers, or the somewhat nicer Cathay lounge. In LAX it is the Qantas F lounge, which is very nice indeed.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
If I call to cancel/redeposit my JMB miles, how long does it take to show up? Is it instant and I can rebook a different flight right away?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongl
If I call to cancel/redeposit my JMB miles, how long does it take to show up? Is it instant and I can rebook a different flight right away?
I have only tried online, and only once, for a JAL flight. But that was instant redeposit of the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.