Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

Originally Posted by shand32783
I would say yes....that's where I was going with this question. If I book the $424 fare my companion and I can upgrade immediately without using the gold upgrade coupons correct? Do I just call and ask for the upgrade then?

Thanks
It should automatically apply the upgrade after hitting purchase. At least that's what happened during my last instant upgrade fare.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by CDKing
It should automatically apply the upgrade after hitting purchase. At least that's what happened during my last instant upgrade fare.
The last time I did it I needed to select the option on the Purchase screen to request a complimentary first class upgrade. This was up near the top of the screen beneath the passenger info. And this was on the website. I don't know what it looks like on the app.

After Purchase the system immediately upgraded me and I was able to select the seats I wanted.

Edited to add: To shand32783 -- if the system doesn't upgrade you after you click the request for a complimentary F upgrade and you make your purchase you'll want to call in. But otherwise there's no need to call.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jan 1, 2017 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
How good is Alaska air in honoring their guarantee low price policy?

I filled out their form and it tells me it will take 5-7 business days to review, yet the guarantee is for 24 hours since the purchase of airfare.
The screenshot I sent them from Expedia did not have a date showing but does show the exact flights and pricing, $160 and change lower than theirs.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duranza

I filled out their form and it tells me it will take 5-7 business days to review, yet the guarantee is for 24 hours since the purchase of airfare.
The screenshot I sent them from Expedia did not have a date showing but does show the exact flights and pricing, $160 and change lower than theirs.
If the screenshot doesn't show the dates, its not going to help because it has to be exact same itinerary, flight number, cabin (First Class/Main Cabin), booking/fare class, date of travel, and number of travelers. It seems really odd to me that it would be that much of a fare difference if it meets this criteria.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist

I've always just called them immediately upon getting the Yapta alert and gotten it done over the phone right away. It's pretty quick. I've probably done this maybe 10 times over the course of the last 2 years and there's only been once when it didn't work (either because by the time I called the price went up or there was a Yapta error).
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:46 am

I used alaska miles to buy a flight on american airlines, lets say the taxes and partner fees etc were $50 all in.

I then called a few weeks later, to change the reservation to a flight on LAN airlines (since availability now showed up). They charged me the difference in miles cost, but did not charge me any difference in taxes at all. Even after I asked if there were more taxes/fees (there should have been $100 in taxes according to Matrix ITA and a test call earlier to alaska partner reservations just book the LAN flight straight up instead of changing another reservation).

My LAN flight through alaska miles is all ticketed now, i got the email, LAN code, i can select seats on LAN etc.

But the point remains - I never paid additional taxes which should have been due to me, as alaska CSR said "no extra tax charges only more extra miles".

Will I have trouble at checkin? Anyone else experience something similar where more taxes you were expecting weren't collected?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

It's super quick and easy. I fill out the online form and I get the money in my wallet almost immediately.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jediwho
It's super quick and easy. I fill out the online form and I get the money in my wallet almost immediately.
There are 2 options:

1) I found a lower fare on another site:

&

2) I found a lower fare on alaskaair.com:

Option #2 is the super quick and easy. OP is referring to #1 which requires manual processing by AS
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by CDKing
There are 2 options:

1) I found a lower fare on another site:

&

2) I found a lower fare on alaskaair.com:

Option #2 is the super quick and easy. OP is referring to #1 which requires manual processing by AS
Correct and I just called and they couldn't process it quicker either.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
AS Fare classes?

Can someone point me to where AS fare classes are explained?

Feeling clueless about some of the classes and it seems they are much more important now
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:18 pm

Anyone getting this message when attempting to log in right now? 9.17pm pst

My Account is currently unavailable and will be restored as quickly as possible.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:44 am

Good morning,

Last week I flew YYC-MSP-BOS on DL. I booked a first class fare on delta.com, which showed as "First Class (P)" on my receipt. Flight was originally booked YYC-SEA-BOS, however I did a same-day confirmed change to the routing via MSP; that receipt showed "First Class (F)".

Miles posted to my account at 75% of the full earning rate, and no class of service bonus. I'm guessing that there was an underlying Delta fare basis in the H/Q/K category that Delta reported to Alaska... but is this correct? I was expecting 200% miles for these flights... and thus credited them to AS. If you book in First, you can still get economy miles?

This wasn't a post-purchase upgrade, but rather a purchased first class fare, albeit nonrefundable.

Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Good morning,

Last week I flew YYC-MSP-BOS on DL. I booked a first class fare on delta.com, which showed as "First Class (P)" on my receipt. Flight was originally booked YYC-SEA-BOS, however I did a same-day confirmed change to the routing via MSP; that receipt showed "First Class (F)".

Miles posted to my account at 75% of the full earning rate, and no class of service bonus. I'm guessing that there was an underlying Delta fare basis in the H/Q/K category that Delta reported to Alaska... but is this correct? I was expecting 200% miles for these flights... and thus credited them to AS. If you book in First, you can still get economy miles?

This wasn't a post-purchase upgrade, but rather a purchased first class fare, albeit nonrefundable.

Thanks.
I'm thinking it was some sort of Y-up type fare where the underlying fare basis is coach but books into F. Looking at a sample for March on same route P has underlying fare of H. Id suggest contacting AS.

I'm not sure if this is an unintended hiccup due to whatever config changes were made to accommodate Economy-Comfort W (which credits based on underlying fare and not W that it books into)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
On December 15, I had a two segment AA flight (booked in F). Somehow, my AS # dropped out of the itinerary.

I waited the two weeks required and then on December 29 used the online tool to claim the missing mileage credit.

Now my account has flights in it. The correct number of miles are shown in the "Miles" but the status says "Partner Pending."

How long should I expect to wait before the flights actually credit and when should I start emailing AS support if they don't?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:45 am
Suspended

How long does it take for status to be updated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.