Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As far as FFPs go, UA is more generous in most aspects than LH. As you are US-based it would make sense for you to stick with that, not least because of the credit card earning opportunities. But I would second Yoshi's point about upgrades...you won't get them with your travel pattern. You will need to fly a lot (like 100,000 miles per year) to qualify for certificates, or redeem miles earned plus payment.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stallion114
Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Award redemption (most miles), and then upgrades
<snip>
UA has a bad schedule for my most common flight so been considering AA, DL, or AS.
Not opposed to any foreign partners as my program either.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit card ff mile earning/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recent changes to some USA ffp’s). But if you are not flying the airline of your ffp the useful benefits are somewhat limited. Low cost fares are tending to earn few ff miles, but depend on the ffp. Earning miles from non flying activities is easier with an airline ffp of your home country.

But with the change of most USA based ffp's to revenue based for flights on own airline, flying the airline with best fares and best schedule that matches your requirements now has merit. And then treating any ff miles as a bonus, which may or may not, be able to be used.

Some AA flyers are now moving to AS, as it is not (yer) a revenue based ffp.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muonflyer
Right, so I'm flying to From Boston to Zurich in July and I'm trying to figure out the best frequent flyer program.

My fight habits look like this:
  • Flying from Boston to Zurich in July. Via SWISS Airlines.
  • Probably flying again this Fall.
  • Past that, I have no idea if I'm flying anywhere. It's funding dependent.
  • But If I do, it'll mostly be to Zurich or London, all from Boston.
  • Maybe once a year or two I'll make a Domestic USA flight for a conference. Location is random.
  • This is always on the cheapest ticket possible.
  • I'm willing to get the partner cards.
  • My goal: To get Business Upgrades for Trans-Atlantic flights as often as possible.
So far, I'm been looking at Luftasia Miles and More, as well as United's Millage Plus. What are you recommendations?

Look and ask here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 6, 2017 at 8:25 pm Reason: added quote as thread was merged
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:18 am

Moving abroad -- Use UAL or Singapore Air program?

Hi:

I currently have status on American Airlines. I have about 40,000 miles with United. I am moving to Singapore and will be flying Singapore air a lot. So I'm looking to gain status with a new group. I don't know how status works through Star Alliance partner airlines. Should I continue accruing miles through United, or should I join the Singapore program and gain status by accruing miles through them?

Another way to ask this is: if I get gold or platinum or whatever on United, will Singapore Air recognize it?

I also saw a sign at the gate in Tokyo about Star Alliance status. So it seems there are quite a few programs. Any help on what would be the best move would be appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

loogoldham Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by loogoldham
I currently have status on American Airlines. I have about 40,000 miles with United. I am moving to Singapore and will be flying Singapore Air a lot. So I'm looking to gain status with a new group. I don't know how status works through Star Alliance partner airlines. Should I continue accruing miles through United, or should I join the Singapore program and gain status by accruing miles through them?

Another way to ask this is: if I get gold or platinum or whatever on United, will Singapore Air recognize it?

I also saw a sign at the gate in Tokyo about Star Alliance status. So it seems there are quite a few programs. Any help on what would be the best move would be appreciated.
Look here (where your thread may get moved to)

How long will you be living in Singapore? A few years or for ever?
What are your objectives from a ffp (non USA airlines do not give out upgrades like USA based airlines)

SQ will recognise your UA status, as they are both Star Alliance
http://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition-and-rewards

AA is part on the OneWorld alliance. www.oneworld.com

Edit: loogoldham has posted in the Star which ffp thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...l#post28417754

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 8, 2017 at 3:32 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:03 am

Thank you for replying. I'm looking for upgrades, early boarding, etc. At the very least to not be treated like cargo.

I'll check the links out.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
loogoldham Welcome to FT

Look here (where your thread may get moved to)

How long will you be living in Singapore? A few years or for ever?
What are your objectives from a ffp (non USA airlines do not give out upgrades like USA based airlines)

SQ will recognise your UA status, as they are both Star Alliance
http://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition-and-rewards

AA is part on the OneWorld alliance. www.oneworld.com
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I booked an N class fare from jfk to Singapore pore with a stop in Tokyo both ways. It's my first real long haul flight and I'd like to get whatever miles I can earn. I'm new to this but I was thinking miles with an American partner would be much more useful to me in the near future. Any recommendations of which program to use?
After giving a quick search, it seems American and Alaska are my best bet. I'm leaning Alaska at the moment as I was planning on opening their card and using the miles and companion fare to tour the west coast next summer, what do ya think?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layoverdan
I booked an N class fare from jfk to Singapore pore with a stop in Tokyo both ways. It's my first real long haul flight and I'd like to get whatever miles I can earn. I'm new to this but I was thinking miles with an American partner would be much more useful to me in the near future. Any recommendations of which program to use?
After giving a quick search, it seems American and Alaska are my best bet. I'm leaning Alaska at the moment as I was planning on opening their card and using the miles and companion fare to tour the west coast next summer, what do ya think?
What ffp's are you a member of now?
Which airline? JL?
Are any flights codeshares?
http://www.wheretocredit.com/
http://www.wheretocredit.com/japan-airlines/n

AS is a good catch all ffp, due to its many partners. As is not (yet) revenue based.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
What ffp's are you a member of now?
Which airline? JL?
Are any flights codeshares?
http://www.wheretocredit.com/
http://www.wheretocredit.com/japan-airlines/n

AS is a good catch all ffp, due to its many partners. As is not (yet) revenue based.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Oops sorry yea Japan airlines and no codeshares. I am not a member of any right now I've only just started getting into this stuff this year so I'm very much a rookie. Thanks for the link!
Wow China eastern and malayasia airlines have 50% rate compared to 30 by American and Alaskan, even more than the 30 JAL gives for their own flight. I'll look more into it but I assume the extra miles doesn't quite make up for the possibility of those points becoming stranded...
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layoverdan
Wow China eastern and malayasia airlines have 50% rate compared to 30 by American and Alaskan, even more than the 30 JAL gives for their own flight. I'll look more into it but I assume the extra miles doesn't quite make up for the possibility of those points becoming stranded...
But the % earned means nothing. If award flights are your objective it is earn to burn that matters. And you need to get enough ff miles to use before they expire.

Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn between ffp’s. 10,000 frequent flyer miles in 1 ffp may get you a longer award flight than 15,000 frequent flyer miles in another ffp. Each airline ffp has different rules for using (burning) those miles/points for awards and different copay/surcharge $$ fees. There are cash surcharges on award flights with some ffp’s/routes/airlines. Award surcharge can be/are different. Real taxes on award flights are the same for all airlines for the same route and class. A surcharge can trigger additional real taxes if the flight changes from a non revenue flight to a revenue flight.

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades and able to earn ff miles from non flying activities, like credit cards.

AS is a good ffp.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:18 pm

Hi guys! I plan to earn elite stat for smooth interview season during Sep, 18 - Feb, 19. Wondering which alliance and which elite stat would be best for me. Thanks in advance!!

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>For interview travel, I guess the sequence should be: (1) baggage handling priority, (2) priority same day change, (3) priority airport standby, (4) lounge (take shower, if possible, to look fresh~)

>I am willing to MR for the season. In "normal" days, I guess I would fly around 0-20 K per year, including couple domestic plus 1 transpacific

>economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>Yes; pleasure

>domestic USA & transpacific

>CID / ORD

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>some (<1K) miles scattered in MP, AA, Flying Blue

>Nope
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Hello, I like to travel international at least every 1-2 years, and looking for a new C.C. where I can benefit the most from. I did get the Barclay Arrival + card last year and i racked up 120 points in one year including 60k bonus points I got from them. I do spend about 2k monthly on my credit card if this helps.

>(1)Good Award redemption rates: (2) Better award access, (3) priority airport standby, (4) Baggage Allowance

>We fly each year or 1.5 years to Europe, and also at least 1 time to Las Vegas from Orange County, CA

>economy

>Yes; pleasure

>domestic USA & transpacific

>SNA, LAX.... last time I flew from SNA (OC, CA) to SFO and flew to London from there and I really liked connecting from SNA when flying International.

>some (<1K) miles scattered in UA, DL

>Don't have a preferred

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:21 pm

Hi FlyerTalk- I'm a new grad who is about to start a full time job this August, but will be flying to both Philadelphia and the California-area fairly often. Interested in what advice you guys can give.

At the end of the day, I'm really just looking to save money, so I guess that means I care most about "good award redemption rates" (I'm not sure what "award access" is).

Probably around 30,000 - 40,000 miles, with 6-8 round trip flights, mostly from SEA - PHL.

Economy

Entirely pleasure

Domestic USA

SEA

No

No real preferred airlines, just whatever is cheapest.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:24 am

which flyer schemes would max out my rewards

A number of threads have been started by members asking for guidance on which frequent flyer mileage program they should join.

After emails with the moderators, in order to help users, we have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow other people to offer assistance-advice-opinion.
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- etc, etc, etc
(above copied in part from a post by dunk)

There is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting frequent flyer miles from a credit card. For questions about which is the best credit card to sign up for, to get frequent flyer miles, please do not post here, but refer to other threads on this topic. Credit Card Programs click this link and Which Forums Relate to Credit Card Topics?

Similar sticky threads
If you are sure a Star Alliance or OneWorld Alliance or Skyteam airline FFP is for you, please post in those forums, as more Star/OW/Sky experienced people are likely to answer your question.
Star Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
OneWorld Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Skyteam Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
about 2 flights per year, usually just europe to europe, but i am taking a year out to go from england to america to asia to england, probably around 10 flights total. And always economy class

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure? travel for pleasure i can choose airline usually i have been using turkish airlines to fly with.
Reply:
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc) from uk to asia
Reply:
(6) What is your home airport?uk manchester
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP? not sure what this means, but i have some airmiles in the smile program with turkish airlines
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: none

Major airline alliances are
www.staralliance.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Star Alliance
www.oneworld.com web site and the Flyertalk forum OneWorld Alliance
www.skyteam.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Skyteam

can you help me choose the correct frequent flyer where i would actually be able to use the rewards?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:30 am

which flyer schemes would max out my rewards

Hi FlyerTalk- I'm going to take a break from work for a year and will do around 10 flights around the world. Interested in what advice you guys can give.

upgrades, good award redemption rates,

unsure about mileage but usually from uk top europe twice a year, with 10 trips round round the world planned in October

Economy

Entirely pleasure

europe

MAN uk

dont know what this means but i am with SMILes and miles? with turkish airlines

No real preferred airlines, just whatever is cheapest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.