Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL announced restructuring details, including list of route suspensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL announced restructuring details, including list of route suspensions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by jamar
Japan is quite a different situation. Imagine if there were only two legacies in America and LCCs with an extensive network like Southwest didn't exist. If JL dies that leaves NH with an effective monopoly except on the most heavily-trafficked routes and leaves a good chunk of the southern islands without air service of any sort (maybe the Taiwanese airlines would step up and offer service via TPE).
JAL hopeless situation could drag on forever as long as the government subsidizes its workers/pensioneers/pax. We are talking about over 1 trillion yen a year, or well over $10 billion per year. European governments started to realize that they cannot spend and borrow without limits, and the same wakeup call will materialize in Japan sooner or later.
Anyway, it seems much better to let an old cripple pass away quietly and let newborns pick up pieces and start afresh. Competition can spring up as in other Asian/european/American countries.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by brunos
JAL hopeless situation could drag on forever as long as the government subsidizes its workers/pensioneers/pax. We are talking about over 1 trillion yen a year, or well over $10 billion per year. European governments started to realize that they cannot spend and borrow without limits, and the same wakeup call will materialize in Japan sooner or later.
Anyway, it seems much better to let an old cripple pass away quietly and let newborns pick up pieces and start afresh. Competition can spring up as in other Asian/european/American countries.
IF JAL could dump it's pension payments like the US Airlines did how much could they save? I agree they can't continue to do this.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pension liability is massive. They obtained a small reduction from pensioneers at time of bankrupcy. JAL might have had a chance if if they had taken drastic measures such as a 20% pay and pension cut, instead they engaged in marginal cost cutting. I am confident that Japanese pax remain faithful to JL especially if they offer attractive promotions (which further cut profits), but foreign-based business pax must have significantly dropped. I am consulting for a big corporation which has banned booking on JL because of the uncertainty. It is not the only one. And business flyers are high yield and the core of profits for an airline.
JL is basically asking lenders to write-off all of their debt. This wont go well. But even if they do, this is a one-time write-off. What about future financing?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by jamar
Japan is quite a different situation. Imagine if there were only two legacies in America and LCCs with an extensive network like Southwest didn't exist. If JL dies that leaves NH with an effective monopoly except on the most heavily-trafficked routes and leaves a good chunk of the southern islands without air service of any sort (maybe the Taiwanese airlines would step up and offer service via TPE).
The bureaucrats would probably freak out as there's one less place for them to work after retirement. If bureaucrats let them I would imagine some of the other carriers would love to expand.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:16 pm

Pension liability is massive. They obtained a small reduction from pensioneers at time of bankrupcy. JAL might have had a chance if if they had taken drastic measures such as a 20% pay and pension cut, instead they engaged in marginal cost cutting. I am confident that Japanese pax remain faithful to JL especially if they offer attractive promotions (which further cut profits), but foreign-based business pax must have significantly dropped. I am consulting for a big corporation which has banned booking on JL because of the uncertainty. It is not the only one. And business flyers are high yield and the core of profits for an airline.
JL is basically asking lenders to write-off all of their debt. This wont go well. But even if they do, this is a one-time write-off. What about future financing?
brunos,
You are right. I wouldn't fly JAL at the moment if I was traveling to Japan or Asia at the moment. IF JAL was smart they'd go for a 20% Pay and pension cut AND engage in Marginal Cost Cutting because even if you cut the pay you should still go with cost cuts. But I am convinced that JAL Management (Just from what I have read) doesn't get the reality of this and is in Disneyland. With the financing if I was a Bank hell would freeze over before I'd provide DIP to JAL. Sorry for my long post as a College Finance Major and a political junkie I am paying attention with great interest to this mess.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Warning: Do not attempt to apply western-logic to actions of Japanese companies or their shareholders.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Do people think that JAL is done with cutting flights for the time being? I'm looking at booking award tickets for early February and have found seats on the ORD-NRT flight (and then on to BKK). Is ORD a good revenue flt for them or should I be concerned that it may get the axe before February?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by laurajoyce
Do people think that JAL is done with cutting flights for the time being? I'm looking at booking award tickets for early February and have found seats on the ORD-NRT flight (and then on to BKK). Is ORD a good revenue flt for them or should I be concerned that it may get the axe before February?
I'd be worrying that JAL itself would be gone before next February. Although that would most likely mean that your booked JAL flight would now have an NH designator.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcvt750
Warning: Do not attempt to apply western-logic to actions of Japanese companies or their shareholders.
Being based in Asia and having lived for long in Japan, I am fully aware of cultural differences. But finance, additions and substractions still apply to Japan. If JL losses were the only to need subsidizing by Japan government, that would be fine. But the government finances are in a bigger mess than Greece and Spain. Obviously they have less pressures from the international financial markets because their bond investors are primarily Japanese, but they are close to breaking point and severe tensions are showing up.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:58 am

Being based in Asia and having lived for long in Japan, I am fully aware of cultural differences. But finance, additions and substractions still apply to Japan. If JL losses were the only to need subsidizing by Japan government, that would be fine. But the government finances are in a bigger mess than Greece and Spain. Obviously they have less pressures from the international financial markets because their bond investors are primarily Japanese, but they are close to breaking point and severe tensions are showing up.
As one of my old college Math Teachers who is from Asia told me once "The Numbers don't lie."
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:10 am

And the death spiral continues. I'll have two of whatever Nakamura-san's smoking.....

Nikkei Excerpt: Wednesday, June 30, 2010
JAL To Start Talks With Banks Over Extra Financial Aid

TOKYO (NQN)--Japan Airlines Corp. said Wednesday it will begin talks with a group of banks, starting Thursday, over additional financial aid, asking them for additional debt waivers to liquidate its capital deficit.

JAL's total liabilities exceed its assets by about 950 billion yen, which is about 100 billion yen more than in January, when the carrier announced its rehabilitation plan.

Also on Wednesday, Enterprise Turnaround Initiative Corp. of Japan (ETIC), which serves as JAL's trustee, submitted to the Tokyo District Court balance sheets for the company and its two subsidiaries after an evaluation of their assets. The three firms' liabilities exceed their assets by more than 1 trillion yen.

"JAL disclosed everything it can, which will enable us to negotiate with major financial institutions fairly well over a target figure for JAL's rehabilitation," said Hideo Seto, the head of the turnaround body's committee.

Akitoshi Nakamura, ETIC's representative director and chief operating officer, said ETIC will officially request a specific amount of additional aid on Thursday or later.

Nakamura also said additional staff and flight cuts are unlikely.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So sad. JAL could have gone into bankruptcy in summer 09, canceling its debt and making DRASTIC cuts in costs (including pensions, pay, etc..). Instead, they delayed and delayed and finally got into pseudo-bankruptcy in January with minuscule adjustments, except for debt forgiveness. They will go into a second bankruptcy (whatever it is called) having lost all credibility. No way they could find over $10 billion of new financing. Even if the government gives some form of guarantee, bankers will not be fooled as these guarantees means trouble to get money back promptly if JAL does not markedly improves. And losing credibility also means losing biz pax and being forced to offer unprofitable discount fares to all pax.
A saddening case study of poor crisis management.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:42 pm

So sad. JAL could have gone into bankruptcy in summer 09, canceling its debt and making DRASTIC cuts in costs (including pensions, pay, etc..). Instead, they delayed and delayed and finally got into pseudo-bankruptcy in January with minuscule adjustments, except for debt forgiveness. They will go into a second bankruptcy (whatever it is called) having lost all credibility. No way they could find over $10 billion of new financing. Even if the government gives some form of guarantee, bankers will not be fooled as these guarantees means trouble to get money back promptly if JAL does not markedly improves. And losing credibility also means losing biz pax and being forced to offer unprofitable discount fares to all pax.
A saddening case study of poor crisis management.
I am convinced that (This is an outsiders view) JAL thought they could make it on their own by having the Government continue to prop them up, and that isn't the case. If I was them I would have gone into bankruptcy as soon as we could have in 09 cut pensions by 50% at least, cut pay by 15-20%, outsource MX etc. But now there S.O.L. and no one is dumb enough to give them that kind of $$$$.. I sure as heck wouldn't give them a DIME! If I was OW I'd start looking for another Asian carrier to hook up with because I don't think JAL is gonna make it thru 2011-2012.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Well, nothing unexpected here.

I've always maintained that the only workable solution was to cease operations (at least temporarily) and liquidate the company.

I've seen that happen at Swissair. If they would have frozen operations, and disintegrated the respective companies (especially the links between those companies), it would have become much clearer what was going on, and what went wrong, and where the real culprits were, and where the worst abuse and the infiltration by criminal organisations were to be found.

Who knows what will happen now...

Cease operations, close down for business, close down the books and submit them to the bankruptcy courts, and (where indicated, and only at those companies where this makes sense) reset the ledgers and restart from zero.

That was the only way forward if they really wanted to clean up this mess, restructure the company and go forward with those undertakings that had a chance of survival, and that could have been divisted from to maximize value for the creditors (as part of the bankruptcy / liquidation process).

Especially in Japan with its keiretsu-business-culture, this was an absolutely necessary path they - for some reason - preferred not to take, pretending there was no real need or no real urgency about any of these things... maintaining drastic solutions could not be applied here, in the name of saving face and in the name of maintaining the status quo: the sacred JAL-ANA duopoly that never worked before, and that will never work in the future.

I predicted it would be absolute madness from an auditing point of view.

And I am sure it is.

How can the bankruptcy court ever get a clear view on the financial situation of the company, if most of the operations (and internal contracts/transfers/compensations) as well as many financial transactions are being maintained as if nothing happened. That's just crazy. How will they ever be able to figure out who owns what to whom, which claims/loans/assets are preferred, and how much will be left to the shareholders/creditors/pensioners/govt???

Especially b/c they keep on saying they want to swap debt for stocks.

I mean, pretty soon there will be nothing left but debt. Well, let me correct myself: according to these latest reports, debt so far outstrips any remaining assets (and the no-doubt already ludicrously overestimated company goodwill) that it just beggars belief why they would wanna continue with this whole thing in the first place. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make any sense. At all.

With it's half-hearted approach to restructuring, and with it's misguided "JAL needs to be great to exist" strategy, JAL has wasted far too much valuable time already. They're still bleeding money like crazy. And nobody seems to be able to figure things out or to really grasp what's going on inside the company; forcing the bankruptcy court to postpone its deadlines, time and again.

Just think of all the deals that were set up for reasons of structured finance and tax optimisation, and just think of all the window dressing that was going on (internally and externally) and that no doubt is still going within the JAL holding.

Not to forget, of course, all the dodgy agreements between the managers and/or the politicians at separate entities of the company.

Really, I am not surprised at all to find out that they can't seem to get this monster under control.

All the ramblings about JAL returning back to profits were nothing more than sand in the eyes.

The other thing that comes out of this, however (and despite the courts and the GOJ having given JAL a further 6 months to dig a bit deeper and hide their s!ht ever deeper under the ground), is the financial irregularities that were going on at this public stock-listed company.

Beside the mystery air plane orders with Boeing (that had been - undisclosed - on the books for quite a while), we now find that the rest of the financial reporting was absolutely inadequate as well.

Of course, for a public company that was listed at the stock exchange, and that was not only getting involved in all kinds of financial transactions with suppliers, banks and other financials institutions, but that was also in charge of managing it's workers and ex-workers pension funds, this is simply unforgiveable.

Even in Japan there must be some bounderies to fraud and/or false representation and/or incorrect investor information. At least from an investor's perspective. At least from the courts' perspective. Oh, yeah: even in Japan...

Somebody is going to have to go to jail over this.

And some people are going to lose their jobs over this, having been so stupid to continue to trust JAL and to throw good money after bad, time and again.

And for sure, JAL (or its successor holding-company) is going to be liable in court, especially abroad (still, as of today, no planes or other assets have been frozen yet).

Hillary Clinton or whomever it is at the State Dept. (and I am pretty sure they will - as long as the US airlines can continue their rape of the Japanese air services market) will have to sign a positive court injunction everyday they walk into their office, in order to prevent this fraud case from ever being heard in a court in the state of New York, or elsewhere in the U.S. Not to mention the other countries where (former) investors and creditors might go to court to have their interests protected.

At least the credit card companies have their payments protected and guaranteed by the GOJ, or do they??

And who is protecting our miles in the JMB?? Did JAL swith to IFRIC13 already??

As for the future of JAL itself, I am not very hopeful - as most of you probably know by now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: JAL is nothing more than a flying zombie.

Let her die already!!

Last edited by maeharasmuse; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:08 am
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
<Sigh> It's all so disheartening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.