Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL announced restructuring details, including list of route suspensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL announced restructuring details, including list of route suspensions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No additional information was added.

I watched three news channels and they only talked about JAL briefly in those news flash sections...I guess it's not too important after all
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Aggressive plan and short execution time. I do wish JL success! Have to take a closer look at how this may affect my RTW plan.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; SPG Gold
I'm very surprised by the elimination of all 747-400s. I thought the premium on slots at NRT pushed Japanese carriers towards these larger planes...

And some of the route eliminations are a big loss for me personally. But at least they'll be around, and in OW, for the near future.

-uw
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
It's official. JAL has updated its website to include link to the press release

Japanese: http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201004/001530.html
English: http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201004/001531.html
That's harsh, but at the same time, smart move. Quietly and efficiently moving NRT flights to HND. Hope to see more HND flights - I think LHR can be added just like CDG, and YVR, SIN, even KUL can be transferred from NRT.

It seems both ANA and JAL assume additional Haneda slots go 50:50 to ANA and JAL. But Japan side got only 1 daily to CDG and BKK, I hope ANA is not interested in these two destinations. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JAL ditches roughly 11 daily slot pairs at NRT with this set of cuts, and include last time and future cargo suspension, it will be 25 or so. This is huge considering JAL will have about 50 daily passenger flights out of NRT after the cutting if I counted correctly. Also 25 daily is substantial portion out of 220,000 annual slots in NRT (=301 daily slot pairs; currently 200k and additional 20k since Oct 2010). Does anyone know what will happen to those slots?

Last edited by bobbybrown; Apr 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:36 pm

Final Boeing 747 International Operation is 30OCT10.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
An old friend at JAL wrote to me yesterday to say that he's taken early retirement. He'll be OK. He's a smart guy and still fairly young. It's going to be a big shock to some folks who never anticipated a mid-career move. (Same story for many blue chip company employees in Japan, I guess).
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
That's harsh, but at the same time, smart move. Quietly and efficiently moving NRT flights to HND. Hope to see more HND flights - I think LHR can be added just like CDG, and YVR, SIN, even KUL can be transferred from NRT.

It seems both ANA and JAL assume additional Haneda slots go 50:50 to ANA and JAL. But Japan side got only 1 daily to CDG and BKK, I hope ANA is not interested in these two destinations. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JAL ditches roughly 11 daily slot pairs at NRT with this set of cuts, and include last time and future cargo suspension, it will be 25 or so. This is huge considering JAL will have about 50 daily passenger flights out of NRT after the cutting if I counted correctly. Also 25 daily is substantial portion out of 220,000 annual slots in NRT (=301 daily slot pairs; currently 200k and additional 20k since Oct 2010). Does anyone know what will happen to those slots?
I am sure ANA will have priority to get some of JAL's slots and the rest goes to foreign carriers

For HND slots, looks like JAL is planning to get less than 50%.

New routes: SFO, BKK, CDG, HNL, TSA x 2
Frequency increase: SHA, PEK, GMP (JAL already has daily HKG slots)

So added pair of slots = 9 only
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:41 pm

For HND slots, looks like JAL is planning to get less than 50%.

New routes: SFO, BKK, CDG, HNL, TSA x 2
Frequency increase: SHA, PEK, GMP (JAL already has daily HKG slots)

So added pair of slots = 9 only
JAL plans to take 50% of daytime slots (TSAx2 HKG GMPx3 SHAx2 PEKx2) same as ANA. Out of nighttime slots, JAL plans 50% of USA slots (2 out of 4) and 100% of CDG and BKK (1 out of 1 each). It's just that they are not going to use others for now. By the way, we need to see how Japan-China bilateral goes few months later.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for posting.

Not a great surprise except of the total move away from the 744s. I wonder what will happen to all of them?

The move of some routes to Haneda is good for travelers on single tickets but can be a problem for people on xONEx or other special products due to the co terminal rule.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Thanks for posting.

Not a great surprise except of the total move away from the 744s. I wonder what will happen to all of them?

Apparently UN are taking 9 of them , but that still leaves quite a few .

http://transaero.ru/en/company/press...ear=2010&id=16
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:21 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/new...2140019-n1.htm

Doesn't sound like bankers are too pleased about this plan
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:55 am

They can pull out from the JAL restructure support and let the airline collapse.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK

Perhaps you could provide a brief summary of the article in English for those poor gaijin amongst us , such as myself , who can't read Japanese ?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:31 pm

GOOGLE translation, not perfect but you get the idea:

The 28th JAL shown plans for the withdrawal line, but the government took up a concrete plan and improve profitability and downsizing aircraft did not show updates. Expected to be postponed even after the election was going to submit a reorganization plan in late June, the bank group, "as suggest or even the prospects for reorganization at this stage of the game" and some raised uniformly disappointing.

Mizuho Corporate Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Sumitomo Mitsui three lines of banks, loans totaling about 170 billion yen for the full amount for JAL, which is seeking to buy corporate revitalization support mechanisms. Three lines of support are essential to rebuild JAL, as the bank is "well in front of the shareholders, and must also withdraw from the intention of Nikko" (executive), because such.

JAL and the Organization's intention to 借Ri換Etai banks hundreds of billions of yen and bridge financing by the Bank of Japan. But the banks are "pie in the sky numbers. Reported so far and not really worked hard at all" and has questioned the feasibility of the plan.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
Perhaps you could provide a brief summary of the article in English for those poor gaijin amongst us , such as myself , who can't read Japanese ?
seems to be mostly the banks complaining about how this impacts their interests... i.e. they want to get paid back and don't think that JAL has a hope or a prayer

Title: This time [the bank association] is expressing disappointment at the JAL restructuring plan

When JAL unveiled its restrucring plan on the 28th,
its route cutting, people elimination, airplane improvemen, and its earnings forecast it still had not revealed a good plan. At the end of June, it will present a new plan at that time, the banks said that this time [the bank association] is expressing disappointment at the JAL restructuring plan (source of title).

the three mega-banks mizuho corporate, mitsubishi ufj, mitsui hold 1700*10^8 yen altogether, the ETIC is still considering buying. Japan airlines 3rd round of backing is not failing, but the banks said that "from a shareholder's standpoint, JAL's indication of intentions is necessary management explained (not sure about the last two words there... ((幹部)なためだ)

JAL, ETIC, and the government would like change the rate of exchange with the banks, but the banks' side as indicated this is an impractical stretch and expressed their doubts about the current plan...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.