FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

CPH-Flyer Mar 9, 2020 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard (Post 32161763)
Quick question: I just OLCI for tomorrow JL61/AA8407 and I noticed that JL has my Advantage number, but it didn't transfer over my ExPlat status. Would they be able to do that at the counter in LAX? My concern is that the JL OLCI portal was telling me that my checked baggage allowance is only 2 bags, and I'm in First (A).

If the system has your number correctly registered, it has in 99. 9% of cases your status correctly registered. Things can fail of course. I don't think JAL shows your status in manage booking, just the number and airline. But where exactly are you looking?

If you are the 0.1%, just show them your status at bag drop, and all will be fine.

matthewr Mar 19, 2020 7:38 pm

I am flying

LAX-KIX on JL69 using AA Miles (Sky Suite iii)

and it will not let me select a window seat (that are open on expert flyer). Why is this?

CPH-Flyer Mar 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by matthewr (Post 32209019)
I am flying

LAX-KIX on JL69 using AA Miles (Sky Suite iii)

and it will not let me select a window seat (that are open on expert flyer). Why is this?

Award booking. There is a thread for that with a wiki on the details.

Award booking is not codeshare.

himurakent Jan 12, 2022 9:25 am

I booked a trip on AA with 3 legs where 2 legs are operated by JAL (fare class are R,I,I), The last leg is now missing in both JL and AA website. Should I call JL or AA here?

Abidjan Jan 12, 2022 9:50 am

I believe you would contact AA as they're the booking agent.

imbisibol Jan 12, 2022 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by himurakent (Post 33895323)
I booked a trip on AA with 3 legs where 2 legs are operated by JAL (fare class are R,I,I), The last leg is now missing in both JL and AA website. Should I call JL or AA here?

Ditto. My third leg also disappeared. JAL updated their route information on 1/12/22.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220101/

Yep, you should call AA.

kentauta Jan 12, 2022 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by imbisibol (Post 33896339)
Ditto. My third leg also disappeared. JAL updated their route information on 1/12/22.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220101/

Yep, you should call AA.

Not sure if this is the cause, but there was another update today on 01/13/22 which includes cancellation of JL65/66 for Jan 19-31.

ts.pub Feb 13, 2022 5:41 pm

I looked back in this thread a bit and didn't see anyone else mentioning it so excuse me if it's repeated information but I booked some award travel on JAL for late this year. In my aadvantage account the trip details explictly list the associated JAL confirmation # so no need to call either AA or JAL. I could go direct to the JAL site to mange my booking and select the seat myself. I don't recall this information showing up the last time I booked award travel on JAL so maybe it's something AA has only started displaying semi recently.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bc1c932b63.jpg

CPH-Flyer Feb 13, 2022 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by ts.pub (Post 33989030)
I looked back in this thread a bit and didn't see anyone else mentioning it so excuse me if it's repeated information but I booked some award travel on JAL for late this year. In my aadvantage account the trip details explictly list the associated JAL confirmation # so no need to call either AA or JAL. I could go direct to the JAL site to mange my booking and select the seat myself. I don't recall this information showing up the last time I booked award travel on JAL so maybe it's something AA has only started displaying semi recently.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bc1c932b63.jpg

The thread deals with AA codeshare bookings, not award bookings. Awards are always on the native flight number, JL16 in your case. So your booking is of a different nature, but it would indeed be practical if AA also showed that for codeshare flights. But the jury is still out....

​​​​​​

CPH-Flyer Feb 13, 2022 6:30 pm

A quick investigation has revealed that it is also available for codeshare bookings. So a valuable addition to the AA app. Thank you for highlighting this.

kentauta Feb 13, 2022 7:38 pm

I think this was implemented sometime last year. However, it was useless for me when I booked an AA code share flight operated by JL last time (booking class R, OWE). AA.com did show show the JL booking reference. but JL website didn't accept it and I couldn't do anything with it.

Flying Yazata Feb 19, 2022 9:47 am

As a recent datapoint: I managed to get my seat selection done by calling AA and the support desk was able to assist the AAgent to have the OWE preferential seats available. The JL booking reference won't work for the JL website to retrieve the AA ticketed booking, so indeed, a phone call is still the sole option.

P.S. Somebody should seriously tidy up this thread. There's way too many AAdvantage award redemption posts here, which have zero to do with flying AA by JL, which is the actual subject at hand. The off-topic makes the thread cluttered.

sergent Apr 18, 2022 8:19 pm

When I chatted with AA, they claimed they had no way to do it. I can HUCA but what are the magic words?

sergent Apr 18, 2022 10:19 pm

I called again, they put me on hold for 20 minutes, said they tried to do it but JAL's system would not accept the seat reservation. Has anyone seen that before?

kevinh100 Jul 12, 2022 7:33 am

In case anyone is wondering how to get past the error page on the JAL seat assignment website...JAL's English language site has been broken for a while. I guess they can't be bothered to fix it? Seat reservations only work on the Japanese version of their website.

sfvoyage Jul 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by matthewr (Post 32124481)
I am flying ORD-HND in june on the 77w and am not an elite. I booked a 60k milesaver on AA. Will I be able to choose window seats in row 5?

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32124541)
An award is not code share, it is always on the native flight number.

The answer, however, is that you will not be able to preselect a window seat in row 5. If they are still available when on line check in opens, you can get them.

Is the answer above (from Feb 28, 2020) still valid for row 5?

I'm on a revenue ticket: AA flight # and JL metal, SFO-HND B777-300 with 2-3-2 configuration in J, non-elite

Row 5 is reserved for elites but opens up at OLCI for everyone? Is it really a lot better than the main J cabin (more privacy and less noise)?

CPH-Flyer Jul 20, 2022 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 34443823)
Is the answer above (from Feb 28, 2020) still valid for row 5?

I'm on a revenue ticket: AA flight # and JL metal, SFO-HND B777-300 with 2-3-2 configuration in J, non-elite

Row 5 is reserved for elites but opens up at OLCI for everyone? Is it really a lot better than the main J cabin (more privacy and less noise)?

That is still valid, but with the lowest booking classes on codeshare even elites don't always have access to row 5 until OLCI.

kentauta Jul 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 34444193)
That is still valid, but with the lowest booking classes on codeshare even elites don't always have access to row 5 until OLCI.

Even with a paid JAL-marketed business class ticket in "J" booking class I couldn't select row 1 window sides on 788 as an AA OWS until a few days before the departure (as OWE, I can reserve any seat). So I would guess OWE is pretty much needed to reserve 5A/5K on 77W in advance.

CPH-Flyer Jul 21, 2022 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by kentauta (Post 34447015)
Even with a paid JAL-marketed business class ticket in "J" booking class I couldn't select row 1 window sides on 788 as an AA OWS until a few days before the departure (as OWE, I can reserve any seat). So I would guess OWE is pretty much needed to reserve 5A/5K on 77W in advance.

Even as an explat 5A/K on an AA codeshare is still a no go in advance.

kentauta Jul 21, 2022 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 34447232)
Even as an explat 5A/K on an AA codeshare is still a no go in advance.

Yes, Thanks. Looks like I forgot that this is a thread about seat selection on AA code share flight while typing.

CPH-Flyer Jul 22, 2022 3:14 am

Originally Posted by kentauta (Post 34447267)
Yes, Thanks. Looks like I forgot that this is a thread about seat selection on AA code share flight while typing.

The thread is a bit mixed up in topics.....

sfvoyage Jul 22, 2022 11:19 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 34447513)
The thread is a bit mixed up in topics.....

And at the risk of going further OT, I do have a related question. How does one distinguish a seat that is already taken vs. that is reserved for elites and/or at OLCI?

In my case, I am looking at the seat map of my flight on my booking agent (via my cruise line's air department) because I cannot access my booking on JAL's website. Apologies for taking this even further OT: I tried to input AA's confirmation #, JL's confirmation #, AA's flight #, JL's flight # (and I know that my "first name" is actually my first name plus my full middle name, entered without any spaces), but no combination would work - I keep getting an error message that they cannot locate my booking.)

CPH-Flyer Jul 22, 2022 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 34448727)
And at the risk of going further OT, I do have a related question. How does one distinguish a seat that is already taken vs. that is reserved for elites and/or at OLCI?

In my case, I am looking at the seat map of my flight on my booking agent (via my cruise line's air department) because I cannot access my booking on JAL's website. Apologies for taking this even further OT: I tried to input AA's confirmation #, JL's confirmation #, AA's flight #, JL's flight # (and I know that my "first name" is actually my first name plus my full middle name, entered without any spaces), but no combination would work - I keep getting an error message that they cannot locate my booking.)

Expertflyer can tell you.

Thichbay Jul 24, 2022 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 34448727)

This is from Jal website
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8e42b02f96.jpg
If you don't use EF, you can just simply try a dummy booking on JL to see the seat map and ask AA agent to pick the seat for you

safari ari Jul 31, 2022 11:09 pm

So does an EXP have access to any seat on a 787 with AA codeshare, I was able to request a seat already in the second cabin, but see plenty of seats in Rows 1-3 and would rather move up. Is there any better seat selection on the 787?

CPH-Flyer Aug 1, 2022 2:11 am

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 34475605)
So does an EXP have access to any seat on a 787 with AA codeshare, I was able to request a seat already in the second cabin, but see plenty of seats in Rows 1-3 and would rather move up. Is there any better seat selection on the 787?

No, codeshare does have limitations on seat selection in advance. Though I am not fully versed in the 787 selections. I mainly fly with native JL numbers.

u01sss3 Aug 8, 2022 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 34475605)

If AA EXP equates to OWE then it may be worth trying to use the Malaysian Airlines site.
I have a BA codeshare (Gold/OWE) and it allows me to pick any J seat in the 787. Neither the BA or JL sites let me do this.

LyfeSaver Aug 15, 2022 1:03 am

I wanted to add a positive data point to this thread.

My ticket was booked through AMEX Travel, AA codeshare flights on JL as a revenue ticket in booking class D. As per the previous posts, JL or AA agents were unhelpful. As a last resort, I called AMEX Travel, and the agent was able to assign seats! She used the "requesting seats" as the language, but AA.com now properly shows the selected seats on my itinerary. (Confirmed on JL 67, JL 711, marketing with AA 8445 and 8482, respectively.)

I confirmed that these seats actually got allocated by doing a dummy booking pass on jal.com. My new seats are showing as unavailable.

While my case is for amextravel.com bookings, you may be able to try your booking agency directly to find success to get around this issue.

Global321 Aug 23, 2022 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by LyfeSaver (Post 34515298)
I wanted to add a positive data point to this thread.

My ticket was booked through AMEX Travel, AA codeshare flights on JL as a revenue ticket in booking class D. As per the previous posts, JL or AA agents were unhelpful. As a last resort, I called AMEX Travel, and the agent was able to assign seats! She used the "requesting seats" as the language, but AA.com now properly shows the selected seats on my itinerary. (Confirmed on JL 67, JL 711, marketing with AA 8445 and 8482, respectively.)

I confirmed that these seats actually got allocated by doing a dummy booking pass on jal.com. My new seats are showing as unavailable.

While my case is for amextravel.com bookings, you may be able to try your booking agency directly to find success to get around this issue.

FWIW - I called AA for the AA Codeshares flown by JAL... no problem assigning me seats.

s0ssos Aug 27, 2022 1:06 pm

So if you have an "O" fare does it mean it doesn't show up on JL's manage my booking? As in, I cannot find it. I presume it is ticketed fine. Or should I worry?

ernestnywang Aug 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 34550343)
So if you have an "O" fare does it mean it doesn't show up on JL's manage my booking? As in, I cannot find it. I presume it is ticketed fine. Or should I worry?

O fare shouldn't matter. If the PNR does not contain any JL prime flight, I've found it won't show.

s0ssos Aug 29, 2022 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 34555909)
O fare shouldn't matter. If the PNR does not contain any JL prime flight, I've found it won't show.

What do you mean by "JL prime?" It contains an international JL operated flight (AA codeshare obviously).

JALPak Aug 29, 2022 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 34556542)
What do you mean by "JL prime?" It contains an international JL operated flight (AA codeshare obviously).

it’s not JL coded

ernestnywang Sep 1, 2022 11:02 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 34556542)

"Prime" means marketed and operated by the same carrier, so a "JL prime" flight means it is JL-operated flight booked under the JL code.

onuhistorian0116 Sep 6, 2022 9:22 pm

My experience

I booked BKK to DAY in Premium Economy at AA.com. Using the JAL PNR provided by AA I was unable to access my flight, so I could only assign seats on AA metal.

I called AA’a Thai customer service number to sort out a schedule change and when I received my new itinerary, the agent I spoke to on the phone assigned me seats (without me asking) in line with the seats I choose on AA metal.

787SEA Oct 17, 2022 11:01 pm

Ticketed on AA on a codeshare operated by JAL. Cannot "Manage Booking" on JAL's website using any combination of the JAL PNR (found through aa.com) and AA or JAL flight number. No middle name on the ticket. Tried the JAL website in Japanese as well.

I called AA twice and both times they called the support desk and could only get the seat assignment to stick for 2 min before it was "canceled" by JAL. Any suggestions?

CPH-Flyer Oct 17, 2022 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by 787SEA (Post 34689264)
Ticketed on AA on a codeshare operated by JAL. Cannot "Manage Booking" on JAL's website using any combination of the JAL PNR (found through aa.com) and AA or JAL flight number. No middle name on the ticket. Tried the JAL website in Japanese as well.

I called AA twice and both times they called the support desk and could only get the seat assignment to stick for 2 min before it was "canceled" by JAL. Any suggestions?

Strange, AA are normally quite capable of managing that. And the agreement between JAL and AA is that AA should manage it.

What booking class are you on, and does it allow for seat assignment in advance?

787SEA Oct 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 34689292)
Strange, AA are normally quite capable of managing that. And the agreement between JAL and AA is that AA should manage it.

What booking class are you on, and does it allow for seat assignment in advance?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in M-class, which I believe should qualify for advance seat assignment.

kentauta Oct 17, 2022 11:50 pm

I had to call AA a few times in a similar situation. It's really unfortunate that it takes HUCA for AA, the ticketing carrier & also itinerary holder, to assign a seat. I recently booked a AA-marketed JL-oprated flights via a travel agent (AMEX), and assigning a seat was a piece of cake for the travel agent I wonder if it's that many AA agents simply don't know the trick to assign seats for code share flights or don't even have authority to do so.

787SEA Oct 21, 2022 6:46 am

Originally Posted by kentauta (Post 34689344)
I had to call AA a few times in a similar situation. It's really unfortunate that it takes HUCA for AA, the ticketing carrier & also itinerary holder, to assign a seat. I recently booked a AA-marketed JL-oprated flights via a travel agent (AMEX), and assigning a seat was a piece of cake for the travel agent I wonder if it's that many AA agents simply don't know the trick to assign seats for code share flights or don't even have authority to do so.

Following up on this, I was finally able to get seat selection to stick! I had to HUCA (many times), but in the end, what worked is asking one AA agent to cancel my existing seat assignments and then HUCA to ask another AA agent to assign my seats. I'm not sure if the second agent was just more knowledgable than the first agent, or if clearing the existing seat assignment was the necessary step, but hopefully this helps somebody.