FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

BN2B Dec 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Is there a number I can call for JAL to pick my seats reserved for a flight on JAL I booked through AA? Is there a web based way to do this? AA said they could not assign a seat for that leg of the flight on JAL. I am sure this is old hat for many of you but I have never done this.

Thanks

bp888 Dec 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Call JAL's toll-free number at 1 (800) 525-6453.

Or online. First you need to get the JAL PNR from AA for your itinerary. Then head over to JAL's American Region website. Click on View My Reservations and enter these info: JAL PNR, Flight number, Date of boarding, Family Name, Given Name. Voila!

(I don't know if you need to be oneworld elite to be able to do the above.)

Antipode Dec 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by BN2B (Post 13039161)
Is there a number I can call for JAL to pick my seats reserved for a flight on JAL I booked through AA? Is there a web based way to do this? AA said they could not assign a seat for that leg of the flight on JAL. I am sure this is old hat for many of you but I have never done this.

Thanks

I recently had an AA issued OW ticket with a few segments on JL. AA was able to assign seats on one flight but not on the rest. IIRC, the issue is that on international flights they can assign seats ~6 months out, and on domestic they can only do it ~2 months out. I asked for the JL confirmation number, and at 2 months out, I went to the JAL website and was able to assign myself a seat. I imagine AA would have been able to do it at that time had I called them instead.

Ross0 Feb 28, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm flying on AA codeshare flights operated by JAL (NRT-BKK-NRT) in 4 weeks and am looking to get seat assignments. AA said they were unable to assign seats. I have my JL reservation number, but for some reason when I enter it at the JAL website it only brings up the AA flights to/from NRT and not the intra-Asia flights. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

JALPak Feb 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 15948661)
I'm flying on AA codeshare flights operated by JAL (NRT-BKK-NRT) in 4 weeks and am looking to get seat assignments. AA said they were unable to assign seats. I have my JL reservation number, but for some reason when I enter it at the JAL website it only brings up the AA flights to/from NRT and not the intra-Asia flights. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Call JAL

Ross0 Feb 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 15949519)
Call JAL

Strange. JAL says I can't reserve until T-72 hours at which point I should check-in online.

A follow up call to AA EXP desk allowed me to confirm a seat on the return, but not the outbound.

Lots of misinformation floating around...

JALPak Feb 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 15951125)
Strange. JAL says I can't reserve until T-72 hours at which point I should check-in online.

A follow up call to AA EXP desk allowed me to confirm a seat on the return, but not the outbound.

Lots of misinformation floating around...

There are some booking classes on JAL that won't allow you to pre-select a seat. N fare on your outbound ticket I guess? And something like K on your inbound?

Ross0 Mar 2, 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 15951651)
There are some booking classes on JAL that won't allow you to pre-select a seat. N fare on your outbound ticket I guess? And something like K on your inbound?

Yup -- booked in N on the outbound and V on the return on the AA codeshares.

JALPak Mar 2, 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 15961737)
Yup -- booked in N on the outbound and V on the return on the AA codeshares.

That's why you can't preselect seats on outbound.

Ross0 Mar 2, 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 15963687)
That's why you can't preselect seats on outbound.

Thanks. Do you know if the T-72 hour mark for being able to preselect seats online is accurate?

If so, is it 72 hours before the first segment in the reservation (this is the case on AA operated flights on the same itinerary) or is it 72 hours before the departure time of the JAL flight?

JALPak Mar 2, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 15963855)
Thanks. Do you know if the T-72 hour mark for being able to preselect seats online is accurate?

If so, is it 72 hours before the first segment in the reservation (this is the case on AA operated flights on the same itinerary) or is it 72 hours before the departure time of the JAL flight?

T-72 of your JAL flight's scheduled departure time on JAL website.

But when is your flight? They are planning to integrate the OLCI system as part of the JBV. You might be able to do that on AA's website at an earlier time later. But I am not 100% sure.

dw210 Mar 6, 2011 8:33 pm

Great info. I've had this same issue and couldn't figure out why I was unable to select seats online. My mystery is solved :)

tkelvin69 Apr 25, 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by dw210 (Post 15987249)
Great info. I've had this same issue and couldn't figure out why I was unable to select seats online. My mystery is solved :)

Mystery not so much solved. Res. booked at aa.com with AA codeshare/JL operated segment NRT-HAN. At the JL site can see my AA flights and it does show the JL NRT-HAN when I put in the JL PNR but comes to "no flight to check-in" when using the web check-in. N class at less than 72 hours.

tkelvin69 May 4, 2011 3:04 am

I didn't see this in any other posts so will share my experience. I was unable to check-in for the NRT-HAN segment for an AA code-share JL operated flight. On the return (SGN-NRT) I went to the AA.com site to see if I could print the AA boarding passes. At the check-in button it directed me to the JL site where I could select seats and print my BP. Not sure if this is something new but I've never been able to issue a JL BP on an AA codeshare.

BTW - didn't do much good other than seat selection for SGN as passport control would not allow entry without a JL stamp. Counter opens 3 hours before departure and I arrived early on a domestic flight. Online BP did nothing of value for a domestic to international connection in Vietnam.

BlissWorld Jul 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Bumping to see if this is still the case.

Are you still not able to select seats on JL operated flight but booked with AA coded/marketed flights?

N Class will not allow to select seats? Is this JL's N or AA's N class? If JL, what does it map to AA's booking class? :confused:

Granlor Jul 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I have AA award flight (booking class U) SYD-NRT for September and was able to book seats as soon as ticket was confirmed (last November). I did need to ring JL and quote my AA PNR to retrieve my JL PNR. After that online seat allocation was perfect.

JALPak Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by grussellt (Post 18950790)
I have AA award flight (booking class U) SYD-NRT for September and was able to book seats as soon as ticket was confirmed (last November). I did need to ring JL and quote my AA PNR to retrieve my JL PNR. After that online seat allocation was perfect.

U is eligible for advanced seat selection

OskiBear Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am

I have an AA booked award on JL from CTS to HND.

When I go to the website, I enter all the info and it seems to recognize my reservation. It then asks me to hit the button to select the reservation for more details and, when I do that, I get an error message :confused:

I'm not so concerned about seat selection (I figure on a domestic 777 for a short flight, it'll be lousy no matter what I select). I just like to view my reservation and make sure all is in order.

Any thoughts?

JALPak Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 18955227)
I have an AA booked award on JL from CTS to HND.

When I go to the website, I enter all the info and it seems to recognize my reservation. It then asks me to hit the button to select the reservation for more details and, when I do that, I get an error message :confused:

I'm not so concerned about seat selection (I figure on a domestic 777 for a short flight, it'll be lousy no matter what I select). I just like to view my reservation and make sure all is in order.

Any thoughts?

Domestic flights' seats aren't open for selection till 2-2.5 months before departure

Unimatrix One Jul 19, 2012 5:50 am

My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)

JALPak Jul 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One (Post 18960548)
My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)

Maybe booked in I? The problem might be caused by the AA coded JL flights. If it is a JL coded flight, you should be able to select it via JAL website.

aafreq Jul 26, 2012 11:49 am

I also booked an 'old mile' upgrade Econ>biz ORD>NRT ongoing NRT>BKK RT...
After flying in Biz the 6 hr connecting flight NRT>BKK will be in econ code N...code K returning. Realize that I cannot chose my seats until 72 hr prior to departure, noticed that the BKK>NRT has been selected...but not the outbound to BKK...on a recent Finnair flight I was given the option to purchase an upgrade to exit row seating, much appreciated !
So far, I cannot find an equivalent option with JAL ? is there one ???

JALPak Jul 27, 2012 8:45 am

Originally Posted by aafreq (Post 19006701)
I also booked an 'old mile' upgrade Econ>biz ORD>NRT ongoing NRT>BKK RT...
After flying in Biz the 6 hr connecting flight NRT>BKK will be in econ code N...code K returning. Realize that I cannot chose my seats until 72 hr prior to departure, noticed that the BKK>NRT has been selected...but not the outbound to BKK...on a recent Finnair flight I was given the option to purchase an upgrade to exit row seating, much appreciated !
So far, I cannot find an equivalent option with JAL ? is there one ???

JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats.

drakkenkorin Sep 11, 2012 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One (Post 18960548)

I'm in a similar situation.

Booked for a JAL Codeshare via AA.

I called AA and they said they couldn't assign seats since it's a codeshare.

I called JAL and they told me they can't touch reservations made by AA.

Also read on JAL's website about the 3-day advance seat selection - but if AA can't get me a seat and JAL can't touch my reservation - do I just get to wait until I check in to see what's left over?

I'm on a L (Government/Military class) ticket.

I even tried to call up my reservation on JAL and their system can't find me - of course it doesn't help that the 2 people I've spoke to at AA told me that my PNR "should be" the same for the JAL flight.

JALPak Sep 11, 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by drakkenkorin (Post 19293472)
I'm in a similar situation.

Booked for a JAL Codeshare via AA.

I called AA and they said they couldn't assign seats since it's a codeshare.

I called JAL and they told me they can't touch reservations made by AA.

Also read on JAL's website about the 3-day advance seat selection - but if AA can't get me a seat and JAL can't touch my reservation - do I just get to wait until I check in to see what's left over?

I'm on a L (Government/Military class) ticket.

I even tried to call up my reservation on JAL and their system can't find me - of course it doesn't help that the 2 people I've spoke to at AA told me that my PNR "should be" the same for the JAL flight.

Welcome to the JAL forum and FT, drakkenkorin!

Can you ask JAL to look up for your PNR with you AA-issued e-ticket number? I would be a bit worry if JAL said they couldn't locate your record.

drakkenkorin Sep 12, 2012 4:27 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 19293503)
Welcome to the JAL forum and FT, drakkenkorin!

Can you ask JAL to look up for your PNR with you AA-issued e-ticket number? I would be a bit worry if JAL said they couldn't locate your record.

When I rang them up, the agent was able to see my reservation, but she told me that since it was booked through AA, they are unable to make any changes to it. But she was able to see it.

JALPak Sep 12, 2012 4:36 am

Originally Posted by drakkenkorin (Post 19300097)
When I rang them up, the agent was able to see my reservation, but she told me that since it was booked through AA, they are unable to make any changes to it. But she was able to see it.

You should ask her for your JAL PNR. With that you might be able to assign seats on JAL website.

aafreq Sep 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Just recently I thought that I 'saw' JAL will be providing 'extra legroom' seating on some flights...
"JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats."

Any truth to this rumor ?

JALPak Sep 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by aafreq (Post 19361303)
Just recently I thought that I 'saw' JAL will be providing 'extra legroom' seating on some flights...
"JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats."

Any truth to this rumor ?

JAL has premium economy services on select international routes but those are completely different products. There are seats in Y with extra legrooms such as exit rows and bulkheads but JAL does not offer the option to pre-select these seats with a surcharge

AA956 Oct 19, 2012 11:13 pm

i am about to change my HND-JFK award ticket for NRT-BOS-JFK, so i can travel a little bit later and also try the fabulous 787 ;), am i going to be able to select seats in advance for the NRT-BOS leg if i get my JAL PNR?

JALPak Oct 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by AA956 (Post 19530180)
i am about to change my HND-JFK award ticket for NRT-BOS-JFK, so i can travel a little bit later and also try the fabulous 787 ;), am i going to be able to select seats in advance for the NRT-BOS leg if i get my JAL PNR?

You might be able to get a more definite answer on the AA forum. But I believe so. At least AA should be able to assign you a seat.

AA956 Oct 20, 2012 4:47 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 19530263)
You might be able to get a more definite answer on the AA forum. But I believe so. At least AA should be able to assign you a seat.

AA staff told me that they would only be able to make a request to JAL, but they say they cannot directly select the seat for me :S

wideman Oct 20, 2012 6:11 am

Originally Posted by AA956 (Post 19530180)

My experience is that yes, you can select seats. I'm flying BOS-NRT-BOS next month on AA and BA awards and have selected seats.

Get your JL PNR from AA, then select your seats online using the JL web site. (This works fine for J seats; I'd assume, but can't be certain, that it also works for Y.)

SPBanker Oct 22, 2012 7:28 am

I am flying AA 5907 (aka JL65, SAN-NRT) on January 7, 2013. Just got off the phone with AA CSR, was able to select seat with no problem. In the beginning she was not sure if it would work, but it did. :)

AA956 Oct 22, 2012 7:16 pm

i am now ticketed on JL8, through AA, and they could select a seat for me :)

JALPak Dec 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Just ticketed a AA codeshare operated by JL ticket for family and when login to JAL website using JL PNR, I could only see the first flight operated by CX :eek: It's not showing the other 6 flights including one operated by JL. Oh well

armagebedar Dec 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 19839352)
Just ticketed a AA codeshare operated by JL ticket for family and when login to JAL website using JL PNR, I could only see the first flight operated by CX :eek: It's not showing the other 6 flights including one operated by JL. Oh well

Hmm, that's not very nice. Are you logging in through the same regional site from where you bought the ticket (I assume North America)? Have you tried the Japan site?

JALPak Dec 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar (Post 19840159)
Hmm, that's not very nice. Are you logging in through the same regional site from where you bought the ticket (I assume North America)? Have you tried the Japan site?

I can retrieve the first 2 flights, which includes the JAL flight, on the Japan site. But the 4 other AA flights are still missing.

But I can't do seat selection on the Japan site as usual because I didn't book in Japan. It refers me to the regional site which does not display the JAL flight :( I have tried both HKG and US sites and got the same results unfortunately...

octopusgal Jan 6, 2013 1:15 am

JL/AA codeshare... Seat assignment

I bought an one way ticket from HKG-LAX (1-stop in NRT) in economy class departing on Jan 8. The HKG-NRT leg uses JL flight number while NRT-LAX uses AA flight number (codeshare). I am a PLT with AA and wanted to earn more AA miles.

I have JL record locator and an AA record locator for the itinerary. I was able to pick seat on JAL's website for the HKG-NRT using the JL record locator, but it doesn't let me do the same for the NRT-LAX segment with both record locators. I can, however, pull the entire itinerary out (HKG-LAX) on JAL's website.

I called to both JAL and AA trying to get a seat on the long haul flight. AA rep tells me they don't have a separate JL record locator for me, they are unable to submit the seat request without charging me US$25; JAL rep tells me I will not be able to select a seat by calling anyone, on JAL or AA website, and through my agent. I cannot do online check in for the NRT-LAX leg either (I am already checked in for HKG-NRT). My only option is to check in at airport on Jan 8 and wish I have enough luck to not get a seat in the middle... The flight seems to be really full.

This is frustrating... Wondering if anyone has experienced this before? And do I have any other ways? :confused: Definitely don't want to get stuck in the middle seat or pay more $ or miles to move higher. Thanks a lot!

Guy Betsy Jan 7, 2013 8:07 am

Yes, its difficult to do seat selection on AA codeshare. You can only request a seat with AA and not JL as the inventory is with AA. There is no JL record locator as its not a JL booking but an AA one. JL will only 'know' of your existence 24 hours before flight when AA hands in their reservations to JL.

Why did not not book the entire reservation with AA.. ie from HKG to NRT as well? You may not get 100% miles with JL ..

I take it that you did not book the reservation with aa and therefore the agents want to charge you for the 'service'.. which should be free IMO. Try calling another agent and just give the AA PNR and do your seat selection again. Or else request aisle/window with the agency. If you booked through a travel agent, they can do it of course.

Currently from what I can from the seat map, there are only middles seats available. You might have better luck at HKG airport.