FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

KurFTBiz Aug 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Round-trip flight purchased on AA.com, code fare N. AA metal from home airport to DFW, then DFW-NRT-MNL-NRT-ORD on JAL metal, and then AA metal for ORD to home airport. DFW-NRT leg is currently ~22 hours from departure. Seat assignments for the two AA legs are all set.

For JAL seats:
AA website won't allow check-in or seat selection, and AA phone rep says JAL won't show her the DFW-NRT or any seat map to even begin to try and assign seats. Says there's no way anyone at AA can help until I go to the airport counter tomorrow.
JAL website won't allow check-in or seat selection, and JAL phone rep says only AA can assign seats since they're the ones who ticketed the flight. Says there's no way anyone at JAL can help.

Experience for other party on my trip (with own separate reservation) is identical. Pre-November 2017, same ticket source and fare code, and the process was seamless. Are we unlucky or is this now "a thing" and the wiki has become out of date?

CPH-Flyer Aug 28, 2018 3:42 pm

The wiki does indicate that N is airport check in only, no advance seat selection. So your experience seems to follow the wiki.

Tokyoite Sep 4, 2018 4:23 am

Originally Posted by KurFTBiz (Post 30140349)
Round-trip flight purchased on AA.com, code fare N.

see wiki above for seat selection restrictions for N fares.

nightkhan Sep 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30083669)

you bought a ticket with AA not JL. It is the marketing carrier’s responsibility to provide this type of function. JL is not obligated to let you login to view your AA coded flights.

Then why does AA's booking page tell me to contact JAL directy to assign seats for my N class?

JALPak Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by nightkhan (Post 30197148)
Then why does AA's booking page tell me to contact JAL directy to assign seats for my N class?

File the complaint against AA. JL doesn't control what AA posts on its website. But FWIW, no matter which page you go to, you won't be able to assign seats in advance for N class booking.

aschuett Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 30077878)
Previously, I was able to log in and select my seats using the aforementioned AA flight numbers + JL PNR. However, that has since stopped working and I'm no longer able to log in on the JL site.

Sadly, me too. Three long segments on JL and can no longer get in to the JL manage booking page when using AA or JL flight numbers, first JL or first AA segment, first name or first+middle - I've probably tried every combination. I'm wondering if they just disabled access if you didn't ticket on JL, but I see above some folks were able to get it working. Who knows.

Bago'peanuts Sep 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by aschuett (Post 30223183)
Sadly, me too. Three long segments on JL and can no longer get in to the JL manage booking page when using AA or JL flight numbers, first JL or first AA segment, first name or first+middle - I've probably tried every combination. I'm wondering if they just disabled access if you didn't ticket on JL, but I see above some folks were able to get it working. Who knows.

That's been the case for me as well for the past couple of months - I can't get to JL's manage booking page, and my JL seat assignments aren't shown on AA's website. However, I opened the AA app today and, to my surprise, my JL seat assignments were shown. I didn't attempt to change them, tho.

Matthew330Ci Oct 2, 2018 12:24 am

I have a K class fare but AA does not see any JL PNR when I call AA. It's been a day and they still don't see anything (initially I thought it may take a few hours for it to show up in AA's systems) What can I do? Is it a waste of time to call up JL?

[UPDATE:] I called JL's US phone center and they gave me the code for the Cathay pacific flight on my itinerary (which of course doesn't work on JL.com) and said they cannot change my seats and that AA needs to do it since AA booked it. I told her a few times that AA said I need to call JL to do it but she said she is unable to do so......

Matthew330Ci Oct 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Another update to the above: when I do call AA, they are actually able to select the seats while JL cannot. Odd, but at least I have selected my seats. I, however, have no idea how I would check in online if I don't have a PNR with JL.

djtsukasa Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Hey all, I haven't done this in over a year and forgot how to input this into JAL's website and I've tried all the suggestions. Bear with me!

Booked a international flight on AA.com, with the TPAC leg on JAL metal, AA codeshare (AA8478). However, I can't even get the JAL website to acknowledge the itinerary, as in, I keep playing with the AA codeshare flight #, actual JL flight #, AA Confirmation #, JL confirmation #... no dice. Any suggestions? I have the JL confirmation # and I know about putting middle names together with the first name on the website.. I know I've gotten this to work before but I'm not sure if something changed, or I'm missing a detail. Thanks!!

N1120A Feb 2, 2019 4:48 am

I'm amazed at the excuses being made for JAL having abhorrent technology. This should be easy to do.

CPH-Flyer Feb 2, 2019 5:17 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 30730684)
I'm amazed at the excuses being made for JAL having abhorrent technology. This should be easy to do.

Try selecting seats on a JL code share on AA via American It will fail. Try doing it via JAL, no problem at all. So JAL actually has their house in order, IMHO.

Codeshare and seat selections should be really easy I agree But experience show that across carriers and across alliances it is still a problem in a lot of cases.

JALPak Feb 2, 2019 6:01 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30730743)
Try selecting seats on a JL code share on AA via American It will fail. Try doing it via JAL, no problem at all. So JAL actually has their house in order, IMHO.

Codeshare and seat selections should be really easy I agree But experience show that across carriers and across alliances it is still a problem in a lot of cases.

This will be fixed once carrierconnect is fully rolled out. Hopefully the platform is smart enough to continue to restrict advanced seat selection availability to those codeshare passengers

N1120A Feb 2, 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30730743)

Disagree. I can even go on Air Canada's website, with their absolutely ancient RES III still around, and use my RLOC to get seats on a 016 ticket. The idea that I can't take my JAL RLOC and access my reservation on their end is ridiculous.

smithrh Feb 21, 2019 9:38 am

Just as an additional datapoint:

Called AA for seat assignment, got assignments right away - was only asked window or aisle (business class).

I asked how to change these again if I wanted to, and I was told to just call them (AA) back.

They did supply me the JAL PNR/record locator/whatever and when I put that into jal.com, it still errors out saying "can't be located."

If nothing else, being able to find my record would be a nice start - at least acknowledge I'm on these flights.

KyRoamer Mar 5, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by smithrh (Post 30805540)
Just as an additional datapoint:

Called AA for seat assignment, got assignments right away - was only asked window or aisle (business class).

I asked how to change these again if I wanted to, and I was told to just call them (AA) back.

They did supply me the JAL PNR/record locator/whatever and when I put that into jal.com, it still errors out saying "can't be located."

If nothing else, being able to find my record would be a nice start - at least acknowledge I'm on these flights.

Me too. I have a JAL locator number but when I try to use it all I get is an error. Not sure why JAL issues a number but its website will not recognize it. The AA site with the AA locator number does show my flights and seats but it doesn't allow changes or show configuration. My flight from BKK to NRT is on JL708, a 788. When I put in date and flight number Seatguru shows three versions, one of which is a lay flat at an angle. Hopefully that is not mine.

Also, my connect time at NRT is exactly one hour. Hopefully that is enough time.I am flying business class. AA has a flight 1h40 minutes later but that makes for a tighter connect at LAX.

Where I am flying domestically on an AA ticket and metal my international flights are on AA tickets and JAL metal. The AA tickets are on different locator numbers because flying on one ticket would have been over $2,000 more than flying back to back on American tickets. Question -- what will it take to get JAL in BKK to check bags all the way through to home?

Now I know that I have to claim my bags at LAX and go through customs even if checked through. If checked through, all I have to do is put them back on the belt to send them home. If not checked through, what do I have to do to get the bags tagged to my domestic destination.

By the way, I will arrive from BKK at LAX either at 9:50 am or at 11:45 am. My domestic flight isn't until 2:10 pm. Is the 11:45 am safe for making my connection assuming that we are on time?

Thanks.

CPH-Flyer Mar 5, 2019 5:09 pm

AA is the marketing carrier, they are the ones responsible for your seat assignments until OLCI opens. The cidesahres between JAL and AA are a bit of a drag in that department.

Jl708 is currently operated with NEO seats, so angled flat. You don't say when you fly, so I did not check if it changes in the coming months.

1 hours is fine for connection in Narita, you only need transit security.

All it takes for JL to check luggage through to another OW carrier is ask them, and bring a print of your ticket. It is a stated benefit that they do it

KyRoamer Mar 5, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30852431)

Jl708 is currently operated with NEO seats, so angled flat. You don't say when you fly, so I did not check if it changes in the coming months.

1 hours is fine for connection in Narita, you only need transit security.

Traveling in mid-November. We are in seats 2H and 2K. Odds are we will not want to sleep so seat type may not be that important. Still the extra pitch and width would be nice.

CPH-Flyer Mar 5, 2019 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by KyRoamer (Post 30852774)
Traveling in mid-November. We are in seats 2H and 2K. Odds are we will not want to sleep so seat type may not be that important. Still the extra pitch and width would be nice.

Mid November is impossible to know at this time, check in 5 months or so. For width, the NEO seat is probably better than the Apex suite

KyRoamer Mar 7, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30852875)
Mid November is impossible to know at this time, check in 5 months or so. For width, the NEO seat is probably better than the Apex suite

Thanks. You're probably correct on seat comfort, at least for sitting up.

_fx Mar 7, 2019 5:56 pm

An other data point for AA being able to assign seats in J. When I first called in, the AA agent said I'd have to call JAL, but then changed her mind and said she'd give it a try...and it worked. I can see the seats on AA.com and everything.

Thank god because I tried both JAL's website and calling them and neither worked (website couldn't find record locator -- JLs, not AAs -- and the phone agents never picked up).

ryandelmundo May 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Used Twitter to ask AA for my JAL record locator from my AA locator. Then used JAL.com to pick my seats. First name was just my name, without middle or MR (mister). Ticket is economy award ticket (fingers crossed biz opens up later), so whatever fare class that is, works for seat selection.

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo (Post 31138411)
Used Twitter to ask AA for my JAL record locator from my AA locator. Then used JAL.com to pick my seats. First name was just my name, without middle or MR (mister). Ticket is economy award ticket (fingers crossed biz opens up later), so whatever fare class that is, works for seat selection.

Award tickets are not codeshare, they are always on the native flight number. So never a problem picking seats.

THR May 25, 2019 7:15 pm

I can pick middle seats but not window seats (Apex suites).

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by THR (Post 31138827)
I can pick middle seats but not window seats (Apex suites).

Window seats are a function of status and booking class. If you can't pick them now, they may open at on line check on, if still available.

THR May 26, 2019 12:28 am

Right. These are AA awards. No status with JAL.

SpammersAreScum May 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks to a late rerouting, I just tried to change Biz seats on a JL flight tomorrow afternoon. (AA SAAver award, so I was lucky to get that, I guess.) I'm checked in and auto-assigned 7G. Only 3 other choices, including 1K and 3D; picking either of them as Plat got me "seat cannot be reserved". Really? Even a middle?

CPH-Flyer May 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 31151407)
Thanks to a late rerouting, I just tried to change Biz seats on a JL flight tomorrow afternoon. (AA SAAver award, so I was lucky to get that, I guess.) I'm checked in and auto-assigned 7G. Only 3 other choices, including 1K and 3D; picking either of them as Plat got me "seat cannot be reserved". Really? Even a middle?

Plat is "only" Sapphire, so that combined with an award booking may place some restrictions on seat availability.

AppleTwapple Jun 13, 2019 7:55 am

Delete.

puchalskir Jul 27, 2019 2:05 pm

I booked on orbitz a flight from PHL-BOS-NRT. I think it’s an AA ticket but the flight from BOS-NRT shows JL 11. It’s booking code N. Even as a One World Sapphire is it true I can’t preselect seats for this? The flight is next April.

JALPak Jul 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir (Post 31349251)
I booked on orbitz a flight from PHL-BOS-NRT. I think it’s an AA ticket but the flight from BOS-NRT shows JL 11. It’s booking code N. Even as a One World Sapphire is it true I can’t preselect seats for this? The flight is next April.

N class can’t pre-select seats in advance no matter what status you have, even when you aren’t traveling on AA codeshare

sunyafei Aug 23, 2019 7:58 am

I booked a flight on AA from LAX to SIN with the return leg being AA codeshare JL operated SIN-NRT-LAX. I got the JL record locator from AA CS and put in all the possible combination of flight details (JL flight # or AA flight #, etc.), but the error message kept showing up. I had to call AA CS for the seat selection in the end.

Not sure why it is so hard to do it online even though I have all the information needed. JL IT:rolleyes:

jsmith3049 Sep 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sunyafei (Post 31447543)
I booked a flight on AA from LAX to SIN with the return leg being AA codeshare JL operated SIN-NRT-LAX. I got the JL record locator from AA CS and put in all the possible combination of flight details (JL flight # or AA flight #, etc.), but the error message kept showing up. I had to call AA CS for the seat selection in the end.

Not sure why it is so hard to do it online even though I have all the information needed. JL IT:rolleyes:

We also can't access our codeshare reservation on JL's website. It's amazing in 2019 they have such a bad system. We have to call American for seats and if we want to pre-select a meal.

peaches070 Sep 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir (Post 31349251)

JL11 is DFW-NRT

kaffir76 Sep 20, 2019 3:51 am

Data point

Booked AA codeshare / JAL 005/033 (JFK-HND-BKK) in Y & called up AA's customer service no. in Asia
Was quite surprised that the call center is based in Malaysia so it was absolutely easy to talk to the agent & he did everything he could to help me select my seats
Since the flight is operated by another airline, the only extra legroom seats I could get (as OWE - higher status opens up more seat availability) were the bulkhead rows
The EmEx seats are blocked.
I used SeatGuru for seat map advice but found that the 772 aircraft maps (for HND-BKK) are not updated/correct so I referred to the JAL website instead
For JFK HND, SeatGuru 773 maps are correct.

I also have the JAL PNR but it doesn't work (it won't work) on the JAL website, I've confirmed that with the JAL customer service agent (they are based in HKG)

This thread was very helpful so thanks to all who contributed ^

Eneka Sep 25, 2019 12:32 am

do you have a middle name? You'll need to add the initial under the first name for it to come up. Like : Lastname, FirstnameM

imbisibol Sep 30, 2019 8:04 pm

This worked seamlessly for me yesterday:

1. Go to Qatar website. Click on Manage Booking. Enter your AA confirmation number.

2. Qatar website may error out. But despite that, on top of page, another confirmation number will show up. Let’s call this the OneWorld confirmation number.

3. Go to JAL website. Enter the OneWorld confirmation number. You should then be able to select your seats and meals.

tetudc Oct 5, 2019 7:33 am

Just a data point / tip: If you have seat assignments on an AA codeshare of a JL flight and call AA to change them, there seems to be a bug. It will tell the agent the new seat is assigned but when they reload the reservation ... it actually didn't change. Fun!

A crafty agent today wouldn't take no for an answer and decided to un-assign the seat and then assign it and that worked. So do ask the agent to confirm the seat change actually worked and, if not, to try the un-assign/re-assign route. Lesson learned: Know exactly what exactly seats you want (with backups) before you call so you don't have to call again like I did :)

Final fun fact: I am able to use the Amadeus CheckMyTrip app to view the trip with the JL record locator (which I cannot do on the JL website, like many others). And it shows me new seats!

vdostoi1 Nov 5, 2019 2:51 pm

Selecting JAL seats when ticked booked with AA miles

Hello. Sorry if this was asked before. I bought an Award ticket using AA miles in business (SEA-NRT). It appears that even though the window seats are available if I were to purchase the full-fare J seat, these seats are actually blocked if I try to pre-select them. Does JAL block these for AAdvantage Awards? Thanks.

CPH-Flyer Nov 5, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 (Post 31705123)
Hello. Sorry if this was asked before. I bought an Award ticket using AA miles in business (SEA-NRT). It appears that even though the window seats are available if I were to purchase the full-fare J seat, these seats are actually blocked if I try to pre-select them. Does JAL block these for AAdvantage Awards? Thanks.

They are blocked for awards in general (also JL), unless you have OWS or OWE status.