FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

Long Train Runnin May 12, 2015 12:42 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 24801261)
Not all exit row seats. You will be able to select them online if you are eligible and seats are still open.

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I will call tomorrow and get my JAL PNR and see what I can do.

Thanks Again.
Steve

Debonaire May 13, 2015 9:25 am

I booked my ticket (AA codeshare JL operated) through a travel agent and AA is asking for a $25 fee to assign seats on the phone. My trip doesn't show up on the JAL website (even with JAL record locator, though a later all AA leg does show up), and the travel agent seems useless and unhelpful.

Anyone have any ideas or am I stuck with the $25 fee?

MajorFloyd May 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Flew on a booking like this recently on an AA-issued ticket:

HKG-NRT (AA codeshare, CX operated, N class fare)
NRT-LAX (AA codeshare, JL operated, N)
LAX-NRT (AA issued and operated, N)
HND-HKG (AA codeshare, CX operated, S)

I called AA to get my CX and JL PNR. As I am a Marco Polo with status, I was able to call CX and get seats assigned. However, even though my FF# was in the system, the AA-issued tickets resulted in the CX webpage not showing my AA codeshare bookings.

I was able to get the AA-operated flight seat assignment via the website, including seat choices for free for elite OW members.

The problem came up for JL. Armed with the JL PNR, I logged onto the website, but when I pulled up my reservation page, it wouldn't let me go into the JL flight itself to choose seats. If I tried to check-in, it said check-in with AA. Of course, AA's webpage couldn't check me in for a JL-operated flight (despite what JL told me over the phone). I called both AA and JL and neither could assign a seat for me. I ended up having to go to the transit desk at NRT to get my seat but I did get my preferred aisle seat.

As an aside, I chose all these codeshare flights because AA earns the maximum 100% mileage on all sectors. If I had issued as a CX flight for the 2 CX sectors, they would have earned 25% only. The JL flight would have earned 50% only. On the very last HND-HKG flight, the AA fare wasn't available without paying much more money so I chose JL at 50% over CX at 25%.

JALPak May 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by MajorFloyd (Post 24847276)
Flew on a booking like this recently on an AA-issued ticket:

HKG-NRT (AA codeshare, CX operated, N class fare)
NRT-LAX (AA codeshare, JL operated, N)
LAX-NRT (AA issued and operated, N)
HND-HKG (AA codeshare, CX operated, S)

I called AA to get my CX and JL PNR. As I am a Marco Polo with status, I was able to call CX and get seats assigned. However, even though my FF# was in the system, the AA-issued tickets resulted in the CX webpage not showing my AA codeshare bookings.

I was able to get the AA-operated flight seat assignment via the website, including seat choices for free for elite OW members.

The problem came up for JL. Armed with the JL PNR, I logged onto the website, but when I pulled up my reservation page, it wouldn't let me go into the JL flight itself to choose seats. If I tried to check-in, it said check-in with AA. Of course, AA's webpage couldn't check me in for a JL-operated flight (despite what JL told me over the phone). I called both AA and JL and neither could assign a seat for me. I ended up having to go to the transit desk at NRT to get my seat but I did get my preferred aisle seat.

As an aside, I chose all these codeshare flights because AA earns the maximum 100% mileage on all sectors. If I had issued as a CX flight for the 2 CX sectors, they would have earned 25% only. The JL flight would have earned 50% only. On the very last HND-HKG flight, the AA fare wasn't available without paying much more money so I chose JL at 50% over CX at 25%.

You are booked under N class that means no advanced seat assignment. If OLCI works, you need to wait till T-24 and do it via AA site. I've had problem in the past for checking in from CX operated AA coded connection to JL operated AA coded flight. OLCI for JL flight failed (even via AA website). CX couldn't even check my brother in at HKG and he had to do so at transfer desk and it was the day they grounded the 788 fleet. He wasted an hour there!

vxmike Feb 10, 2016 1:09 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 24040600)
Backstory: Booked through AA, AA codeshare on JL metal, SGN-NRT.

So I have that error when I try to pull up my reservation on the JAL website where I enter my JL rez number and other info, and it shows my NRT-LAX flight on AA, but not my initial AA(JL) SGN-NRT flight. (This is my return trip, outbound and same issues).

AA was able to select seats for me in Row 50-something. Row 16 is currently showing on EF as open, but JL says those seats are blocked, and AA can't request them.

Does anyone know if I will be able to do OLCI T-24 hours from SGN? I really don't want to show up 3 hours before departure.

TIA.

My experience is identical to yours thus far. I can even see my AA flights on the JAL website but not the JL flights sold as AA codeshare??? :confused:

Were you able to OLCI and select a seat at T-24 ?

Abidjan Feb 16, 2016 9:04 am

I've found JL does not allow online-checkin of code-shared flights.

fedechat Feb 18, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm having a hard time selecting 2 seats on JAL route

NRT-HAN AA codeshare, JL operated Economy seat on a 787-900

EF show row 47 available, and bunch of rows that are blocked (46, 46 and 51 to 55), AA can not see 47, so I have to select the last 2 seat available on row 51 (middle seats).
I tried to call JL US, no answer, JL AR same thing, lnly JL MX answered but they were unable to touch/select seats because is an AA codeshare. I didn't have a problem with SGN-NRT on a 787-800 on the same PNR.

Abidjan Feb 19, 2016 6:31 am

Do you follow AA on Twitter? If so (or when you do), send them a DM to check/assign.

mster Feb 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 24040600)
Backstory: Booked through AA, AA codeshare on JL metal, SGN-NRT.

So I have that error when I try to pull up my reservation on the JAL website where I enter my JL rez number and other info, and it shows my NRT-LAX flight on AA, but not my initial AA(JL) SGN-NRT flight. (This is my return trip, outbound and same issues).

Exact same issues here. I can pull up my reservation on the JAL site, but it doesn't show either my NRT-SGN or SGN-NRT flights, which are the only JAL flights on the itinerary. Anyone find a solution? Is calling AA / JAL the only way to get seats assigned?

CPH-Flyer Feb 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 26218251)
Exact same issues here. I can pull up my reservation on the JAL site, but it doesn't show either my NRT-SGN or SGN-NRT flights, which are the only JAL flights on the itinerary. Anyone find a solution? Is calling AA / JAL the only way to get seats assigned?

If it is an AA codeshare, AA should assign the seats, and JL will not be able to touch the reservation. But in general you will often be sent back and forth, AA will often insist that it is a JL flight and hence they can just give you the JL PNR not actually assign the seats.

virmaior Feb 21, 2016 4:48 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 26218251)

If you can see the booking on JAL's website but not the JAL flights, then call up AA and ask if there's something screwed up in the reservation. Otherwise, you should be able to see those flights there.

ginoa724 Feb 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat (Post 26206974)
I'm having a hard time selecting 2 seats on JAL route

NRT-HAN AA codeshare, JL operated Economy seat on a 787-900

EF show row 47 available, and bunch of rows that are blocked (46, 46 and 51 to 55), AA can not see 47, so I have to select the last 2 seat available on row 51 (middle seats).
I tried to call JL US, no answer, JL AR same thing, lnly JL MX answered but they were unable to touch/select seats because is an AA codeshare. I didn't have a problem with SGN-NRT on a 787-800 on the same PNR.

I'm on the same route with the same issue. AA shows no seat assignment online, but it showed they assigned me 47A outbound/47K return on the email confirmation. I'm not a huge window seat fan and would rather have the aisle seat next to it (or preferably somewhere closer to 27). Calling AA didn't get me anywhere either.

virmaior Feb 24, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ginoa724 (Post 26221881)
I'm on the same route with the same issue. AA shows no seat assignment online, but it showed they assigned me 47A outbound/47K return on the email confirmation. I'm not a huge window seat fan and would rather have the aisle seat next to it (or preferably somewhere closer to 27). Calling AA didn't get me anywhere either.

Steps are pretty simple:

1. call AA and ask for JAL record locator
2. go to JAL's american reigion website
3. go to "view my reservations"
4. enter JAL record locator number and your details
5. edit there.

thurman52 Mar 3, 2016 11:45 am

I got into my reservation JAL website
Shows no seats available but confirmed economy plus
So do they not come available until the 72 hour prior window?
Can I call JAL?

mster Mar 3, 2016 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by virmaior (Post 26236335)
Steps are pretty simple:

1. call AA and ask for JAL record locator
2. go to JAL's american reigion website
3. go to "view my reservations"
4. enter JAL record locator number and your details
5. edit there.

The problem is that the JL segments aren't showing up at all on the JL site when the flights are AA codeshare flights. I can see my AA flights just fine on the JL site using the JL locator, just not the JL flights.

CPH-Flyer Mar 3, 2016 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by thurman52 (Post 26278871)
I got into my reservation JAL website
Shows no seats available but confirmed economy plus
So do they not come available until the 72 hour prior window?
Can I call JAL?

They may just be blocked, and then become available at 72 hours for OLCI. But you can try to give JAL a call, and see what they can do.

JALPak Mar 3, 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 26279362)
They may just be blocked, and then become available at 72 hours for OLCI. But you can try to give JAL a call, and see what they can do.

This is AA codeshare. He will need to talk to AA not JAL.

CPH-Flyer Mar 3, 2016 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 26279515)
This is AA codeshare. He will need to talk to AA not JAL.

Yes, sorry my thinking was not quite there it seems.

FobbyFlyer Aug 17, 2016 1:08 pm

In my experience, the "manage my booking" feature differs between the JAL US site and the JAL JP site.

For my upcoming flight, I can only see my partial reservation with just my US legs on the JAL US site, however, when I switched to JAL JP, I can see the full trip

So for those who are having trouble seeing your JL operated flights, change the website region to Japan, English and look for the "My International Booking" link

jnyeung Aug 23, 2016 10:20 pm

AA site for checkin codeshares JL flight

I broke a BOS-SYD, SYD-LAX ticket and was issued a AA codeshare JL metal for BOS-NRT on JL7/AA7375 and a JL 771 for NRT-SYD, and AA 73 for SYD-LAX. I used the JAL site and JL record locator and could only see my JL flight to choose seat. At 72 hr, I could check in the JL flight, I decided to call JL. The phone rep told me to go through AA and I replied that I had already done that on AA and I could only see the AA flight when I check. however, she told me to use the check in button at the top left of the screen, and lo and behold, when I clicked on it,I got moved to the same JL checkin site, but this time, the JL7 flight appeared as well and I was able to checkin and issue the boarding pass. I thought I knew but this is great.

Focke Oct 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Had issues JAL & AA assigning a seat for me, after a few calls was told that AA codeshares booked in class G,N,O are ineligible for advance seat assignments even with status.

blakerson Oct 13, 2016 6:47 pm

On my most recent trip booked as AA codeshare, AA's link to OLCI finally worked.

Trying the old way (get JAL PNR, go to JAL's OLCI, input info there) had never worked for me.

Once in to the JAL OLCI, you can work part-way through the process, get to seat selection, and once selected, drop without completing OLCI (if you don't want to - I figure I'll be at the business class counter at the airport anyway). JAL will save your seat selection.

This also allowed immediate seat selection for the return leg even though that was far more than 72 hours away.

davidgrahammd Oct 14, 2016 9:37 am

Everytime I have flied JL metal on AA codeshare, I have tried using the JL PNR but the only legs that show up on the JL website are the AA metal ones.
Any suggestions?

token385 Nov 3, 2016 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Focke (Post 27333543)
Had issues JAL & AA assigning a seat for me, after a few calls was told that AA codeshares booked in class G,N,O are ineligible for advance seat assignments even with status.

Here is what I got returned when trying to pre-assign a seat
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

Since I am in "O" class I assumed that the above was the case. I did however think that PLT status would have given me some benefit :D

JALPak Nov 3, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by token385 (Post 27431865)
Here is what I got returned when trying to pre-assign a seat
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

Since I am in "O" class I assumed that the above was the case. I did however think that PLT status would have given me some benefit :D

Unlike CX, fare rules trump status in this case.

golfingboy Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

I have an upcoming trip on JL that are all booked as AA codeshares. Trying to at least obtain a seat assignment, but when I go into the JAL website (had to use JP version as US version only shows AA flights) I got a message stating that I can't select seats on JAL's website for codeshares.

Called AA and they were not able to select seats due to fare class. However, AA sent a message to JAL requesting forward window seats for me. Will JL actually acknowledge the message and address the request or is that message simply going nowhere and I am helpless until I check-in for my AA flights?

The trip is next weekend.

JL, like ANA, both have horrible unintuitive websites. Definitely an area they can invest to enhance interactivity of the online experience.

CPH-Flyer Nov 24, 2016 12:16 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27521429)
I have an upcoming trip on JL that are all booked as AA codeshares. Trying to at least obtain a seat assignment, but when I go into the JAL website (had to use JP version as US version only shows AA flights) I got a message stating that I can't select seats on JAL's website for codeshares.

Called AA and they were not able to select seats due to fare class. However, AA sent a message to JAL requesting forward window seats for me. Will JL actually acknowledge the message and address the request or is that message simply going nowhere and I am helpless until I check-in for my AA flights?

The trip is next weekend.

JL, like ANA, both have horrible unintuitive websites. Definitely an area they can invest to enhance interactivity of the online experience.

The AA/JL code shares are always tricky. AA online check in only opens 24 hours before and JAL opens 72 hours before. So the people on JL code have a head start. If you originate on the JL flight, come to the airport when check in opens as there are seats available for airport control.
I am sure your request is noted, but probably only as the standard airline note of window seat.

JALPak Nov 24, 2016 5:10 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27521465)
The AA/JL code shares are always tricky. AA online check in only opens 24 hours before and JAL opens 72 hours before. So the people on JL code have a head start. If you originate on the JL flight, come to the airport when check in opens as there are seats available for airport control.
I am sure your request is noted, but probably only as the standard airline note of window seat.

They do accommodate people if possible though. I got automatically moved to bulkhead yesterday. It was a last minute reservation made few days before flight so I couldn't get the seat I want and agent just note that in my record. I didn't even know my seat has changed until I board. But this probably won't apply to OP :)

golfingboy Nov 24, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks everyone! Guess at the point there is nothing more that I can do except cross my fingers and hope I don't get stuck in the middle.

Wish JAL valued Emeralds a little more. Probably should have took CX instead - live and learn :)

CPH-Flyer Nov 24, 2016 10:25 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27522632)
Thanks everyone! Guess at the point there is nothing more that I can do except cross my fingers and hope I don't get stuck in the middle.

Wish JAL valued Emeralds a little more. Probably should have took CX instead - live and learn :)

Being OWE does make it more likely to have a decent seat based on the airport allocated seats if you have no seat assigned. You will be towards the front of the line to get them. :)

I always do get a nice seat in that situation. Being JL OWE.

golfingboy Nov 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27522954)
Being OWE does make it more likely to have a decent seat based on the airport allocated seats if you have no seat assigned. You will be towards the front of the line to get them. :)

Sounds good! The morning flight is completely sold out and I am on the evening flight which seems to be selling too (business is down to J1) and all window seats between rows 16-54 are taken aside from row 16 and 19 (heard those are bad ones though without windows).

Rows 15, 46, and 55-63 are completely blocked. The equipment is a 767. Return flight is wide open.

JALPak Nov 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27522954)

You are a JMB Diamond not any emerald so YMMV for other emeralds.

So are you telling him not even bother with OLCI because he would have selected a seat already when airport staff allocates the seats?

CPH-Flyer Nov 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 27524477)
You are a JMB Diamond not any emerald so YMMV for other emeralds.

So are you telling him not even bother with OLCI because he would have selected a seat already when airport staff allocates the seats?

It should not be taken as don't try to do OLCI. But there are also cases where nothing really is available at OLCI. Don't get there last second, as they will not save a good seat, but come early and there is a good chance the OWE will help a decent seat to appear.

And yes, my situation is a lot better as JL Diamond. But I would still come early if I plan to get an airport controlled seat.

CPH-Flyer Nov 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27524432)
Sounds good! The morning flight is completely sold out and I am on the evening flight which seems to be selling too (business is down to J1) and all window seats between rows 16-54 are taken aside from row 16 and 19 (heard those are bad ones though without windows).

Rows 15, 46, and 55-63 are completely blocked. The equipment is a 767. Return flight is wide open.

15 and 46 are on airport control. And think 16 as well, I can't remember if it has a window.

Depending on the load part of 55 to 63 will open at OLCI.

golfingboy Dec 4, 2016 12:26 am

60A ugh (767). Not a good seat at all.

Edit to add: at the gate moved to 49K. At least a slight improvement over 60A.

rustykettel Dec 4, 2016 5:32 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27563037)
60A ugh (767). Not a good seat at all.

Edit to add: at the gate moved to 49K. At least a slight improvement over 60A.

Just out of curiosity, did you try OLCI on AA's site at T-72 (what a JAL agent told me) or at T-24 (as others here reported)?

golfingboy Dec 4, 2016 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 27563518)
Just out of curiosity, did you try OLCI on AA's site at T-72 (what a JAL agent told me) or at T-24 (as others here reported)?

You can't OLCI with AA more than 72 hours out. During OLCI AA will auto-generate a seat assignment for you. If you don't like the seat then you have to wait until you get to NRT to talk with a JL agent to get a different seat.

Terrible arrangement IMHO especially with both airlines being JV partners.

shawn67 Dec 6, 2016 10:42 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27564703)
You can't OLCI with AA more than 72 hours out. During OLCI AA will auto-generate a seat assignment for you. If you don't like the seat then you have to wait until you get to NRT to talk with a JL agent to get a different seat.

Terrible arrangement IMHO especially with both airlines being JV partners.

Interesting...I wasn't allowed to do OLCI so I checked in at PHX AA Counter and go assigned 15C for NRT->CKG (JAL729) approximately at T-18. I wonder if I got that seat because my check-in it was after the blocks were released by JAL so a later check-in actually benefited me.

golfingboy Dec 6, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by shawn67 (Post 27573189)
Interesting...I wasn't allowed to do OLCI so I checked in at PHX AA Counter and go assigned 15C for NRT->CKG (JAL729) approximately at T-18. I wonder if I got that seat because my check-in it was after the blocks were released by JAL so a later check-in actually benefited me.

Maybe - I think JL blocks row 15 on the 767 for families with babies so they can use a bassinet. There were 3 lap infants in row 15 on my flight to CGK (a middle seat in 15 was available at the gate and I was glad I didn't take that one).

On my return I was assigned 16C (moved to 16A). Helps that my return flight load was light. The outbound was jam packed (98% LF from my estimate).

shawn67 Dec 6, 2016 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27573228)
There were 3 lap infants in row 15 on my flight to CGK (a middle seat in 15 was available at the gate and I was glad I didn't take that one).

Huh?!?!...3...lap...INFANTS:eek:....who'd have funked it?? I always thought the bassinets were for show!!! #@$^$#@...<sigh>oh well, I always keep my lunesta and Cathay Pacific "F" kit with me - they have a sweet set of earplugs!;)...BTW I love these new AA 777-200's very well done. It think it is a smart compromise between comfort and revenue generation.