FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

tomj888 Jan 5, 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by eva air (Post 29181231)
for me, it worked when i entered the aa-coded flight number instead of the jl-coded flight number.

this did not work for me today. Why is it such a pain in the a-- to deal with jal

pcharles Jan 10, 2018 3:18 am

Six segments now, a combination of Z and U class, 4 different PNRs, all AA tkt stock and JL codeshare PNRs. I've been successful assigning seats for all JAL segments >60days pre-departure using JAL's website manage booking. Unfortunately the preferred/JMB elite seats (ie, 787-8 windows) are blocked which I expected, but all other seats that are unoccupied are assignable by individual segments. Using other available tools I can see which seats are occupied and which are simply carrier blocked. I'm fine with where I am, but I'd like to know for my own regard when they they open blocked seats. At T-72 I will attempt to move and assign to one of the currently preferred blocked seats, and reattempt again at T-24 if unsuccessful at T-72

aglp2k Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm

FWIW, I have an upcoming trip DFW-SAN-NRT-SAN-DFW with all AA flight numbers. To choose seats on JL codeshare flights on JAL website, I had to enter JL PNR (provided by AA), AA flight number and also enter first and middle name in the first name field to pull up the itinerary to choose seats.

SJC AA Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by aglp2k (Post 29412157)
FWIW, I have an upcoming trip DFW-SAN-NRT-SAN-DFW with all AA flight numbers. To choose seats on JL codeshare flights on JAL website, I had to enter JL PNR (provided by AA), AA flight number and also enter first and middle name in the first name field to pull up the itinerary to choose seats.

Thanks for the tip. This finally worked for me, with AA coded flight number, JAL's PNR, and my first and middle name *without space* between them.

iluvdoco Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm

I have an upcoming flight in JL F issued by AA. I called AA to get my JL PNR.

However on the MMB screen here (https://book-i.jal.co.jp/JLInt/dyn/a...ing/myBookings) it's asking for my Reservation Number. Adding my PNR to that box results in an error. What do I enter for my Reservation Number?:confused:

nyc10036 Mar 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 29517321)
I have an upcoming flight in JL F issued by AA. I called AA to get my JL PNR... on the MMB screen here (https://book-i.jal.co.jp/JLInt/dyn/a...ing/myBookings) it's asking for my Reservation Number. Adding my PNR to that box results in an error. What do I enter for my Reservation Number?:confused:

I've done more than my share of the "get the JL PNR from AAgent then pick seats w/ JL" routine over the years, but it hasn't worked for me for the upcoming trip. First, unlike what we used to do previously, you are now expected to enter the flight # w/ AA prefix (i.e., instead of JL7, you are to enter AA8475) on JL's site. Hopefully, this will help.

If it doesn't, then, I'd recommend that you call JL, hoping that they can help. I had a rather lengthy conversation with a JL agent this morning, and she pretty much told me that, since their system migration last November, the "seat assignment behavior" of the system has become less than transparent/predictable in some cases, and the system may have some kinks they needs to work out.

If I understood her correctly, under the new system, AAgents are able to assign seats on JL codeshares on AA's system (I wonder how many AAgents are actually familiar w/ this new development, BTW!). But AA only has an "x" number of seats allocated for pre-assignment, and once that number is reached, neither JL nor AA can assign seats until you check in at the airport (not even online checkin, from the sound of it...b/c she emphasized "airport ctrl"--but I hope she is wrong & I can pick my seat upon online checkin @ T24). She admitted that there was a block of seats reserved for airport control, but she says neither she nor her supervisor has the authority to override this.

This sounds bizarre to me, especially for paid J pax, but that what JL says...and I guess I will find out if I end up in that hard-to-access middle seat that presumably makes some people feel like they are in a prison cell... I am venting now, but I really hate the "pick seats at the airport" system...because many pax are connecting from domestic flights and they have the advantage of checking in very early--when "direct flyers" like me can't check in until the JL counter opens 2? 3? hours before the flight!!!

CPH-Flyer Mar 23, 2018 8:00 pm

The simple solution is of course book the flights JAL. coded. Which may give other restrictions, probably mainly EQD.

I tend to avoid code share bookings on long haul stretches, always seems to give seat selection and check in issues. Not just between AA and JL, but on many carrier combos. Though sometimes I do go for the code share for point reasons, but then I have to accept the quirky things in contrast Most frequently getting Emirates to Dubai JL coded

nyc10036 Mar 24, 2018 11:02 am

Originally Posted by nyc10036 (Post 29560309)
....But AA only has an "x" number of seats allocated for pre-assignment, and once that number is reached, neither JL nor AA can assign seats until you check in at the airport (not even online checkin, from the sound of it...b/c she emphasized "airport ctrl"--but I hope she is wrong & I can pick my seat upon online checkin @ T24). ...

I just wanted to post an update on the issue above, in case if anybody is interested. I called EXP AAgent today and explained the situation (because it really bothered me that I paid for J--not even an upgrade--yet there seems to be a policy preventing me from getting a seat assigned 'til I get to the airport), and she initially seemed to confirm this new policy. But she put me on hold for a few minutes to speke to somebody to see if there's anything they could do, and they were somehow able to unblock one of the seats previously designated to be under airport ctrl by JL.

So, while their policy might say otherwise, it is apparently technically possible to accomplish this on AA's system.

tomj888 said on Jan 5, 18 2:24 pm:

Why is it such a pain in the a-- to deal with jal
Sadly, while their onboard products are usually quite superb, JL's CS reps don't seem very effective at solving problems. Don't get me wrong, they are EVER so nice, professional and caring, but I'd rather get "unprofessional but competent" than "professional but incompetent."

Incidentally, one of my Japanese colleagues has told me that the quality of JL's CS in the Japanese language (which apparently used to be outstanding), too, has been declining greatly in the recent years since JL began relying on PT employees and temps, letting FT employees go, to save $.

JALPak Mar 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nyc10036 (Post 29561991)
I just wanted to post an update on the issue above, in case if anybody is interested. I called EXP AAgent today and explained the situation (because it really bothered me that I paid for J--not even an upgrade--yet there seems to be a policy preventing me from getting a seat assigned 'til I get to the airport), and she initially seemed to confirm this new policy. But she put me on hold for a few minutes to speke to somebody to see if there's anything they could do, and they were somehow able to unblock one of the seats previously designated to be under airport ctrl by JL.

So, while their policy might say otherwise, it is apparently technically possible to accomplish this on AA's system.

tomj888 said on Jan 5, 18 2:24 pm:

Sadly, while their onboard products are usually quite superb, JL's CS reps don't seem very effective at solving problems. Don't get me wrong, they are EVER so nice, professional and caring, but I'd rather get "unprofessional but competent" than "professional but incompetent."

Incidentally, one of my Japanese colleagues has told me that the quality of JL's CS in the Japanese language (which apparently used to be outstanding), too, has been declining greatly in the recent years since JL began relying on PT employees and temps, letting FT employees go, to save $.

you bought an AA coded flight and you need to deal with AA not JL until check in. I don’t understand why it is so hard to understand it’s the marketing carrier’s job to provide service such as seat assignment to you. I am glad that it works out for you at the end but the JL agents are not incompetent in this case. They are simply following the rules.

rustykettel Mar 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29563122)
I don’t understand why it is so hard to understand it’s the marketing carrier’s job to provide service such as seat assignment to you.

Except that it's not universally true at all. Many codeshares, including AA codeshares of JAL flights until just recently, require seat assignments to be made directly with the operating carrier.

JALPak Mar 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 29563222)
Except that it's not universally true at all. Many codeshares, including AA codeshares of JAL flights until just recently, require seat assignments to be made directly with the operating carrier.

AA codeshare on JL has always required seat assignment by AA. JL agent will not entertain any seat assignment request.

nyc10036 Mar 25, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29563122)
AA codeshare on JL has always required seat assignment by AA ...

you bought an AA coded flight and you need to deal with AA not JL until check in. I don’t understand why it is so hard to understand...
the JL agents are not incompetent in this case. ...

Thanks for your assertive comment and I certainly hope that the "intuitive simplicity" you describe, JALPak, is going to continue. But, as a point of information, I'd like to note here publicly that your assertion about "JL having always required seat assgn by AA" has never been my experience in the last decade, online or over the phone--until this time. We always had to call AA to get JL PNR first (and when we did, we always made sure to first ask AAgent to assign seats because people have periodically shared anecdotes on Flyertalk that AAgents were able to help), then we had to deal separately w/ JL to get seats assigned. AAgents have never been able to help us w/ JL seat assignments, presumably until the system migration which took place in November of 2017. My company and I have purchased dozens of AA J tix on JL-operated flights, so I think my N is large enough here.

I know this is going to upset JALPak, but I do believe this inconvenience was due to JL's policy because AAgent has long been able to assign seats on AY-operated AA tix on our behalf.

I am glad to hear that your experience has always been dreadfully simple, painfully intuitive and velvet smooth with JL-operated-AA tix, JALPak--but, being an expert that you are, you should perhaps be aware that your experience is quite atypical!

Also, it is often profoundly difficult to understand anything, from the consumers' standpoint, when airlines change their long-standing policy and, in this case, even the JL agent didn't quite know how to handle it--noting that they may or may not have ctrl over seat assignments these days and they must try putting thru the request anyhow to find out how it pans out. In fact, she characterized the system behavior unpredictable (see my initial post on this matter from Mar 23, 18 9:44 pm) and she was only able to give me her best guess as to what was happening. So, perhaps JL agents are competent as JALPak posits, but the entire protocol didn't seem all that transparent, even to the JL agent I spoke to--and certainly to me (and my company) as consumers.

JALPak Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by nyc10036 (Post 29564550)
Thanks for your assertive comment and I certainly hope that the "intuitive simplicity" you describe, JALPak, is going to continue. But, as a point of information, I'd like to note here publicly that your assertion about "JL having always required seat assgn by AA" has never been my experience in the last decade, online or over the phone--until this time. We always had to call AA to get JL PNR first (and when we did, we always made sure to first ask AAgent to assign seats because people have periodically shared anecdotes on Flyertalk that AAgents were able to help), then we had to deal separately w/ JL to get seats assigned. AAgents have never been able to help us w/ JL seat assignments, presumably until the system migration which took place in November of 2017. My company and I have purchased dozens of AA J tix on JL-operated flights, so I think my N is large enough here.

I know this is going to upset JALPak, but I do believe this inconvenience was due to JL's policy because AAgent has long been able to assign seats on AY-operated AA tix on our behalf.

I am glad to hear that your experience has always been dreadfully simple, painfully intuitive and velvet smooth with JL-operated-AA tix, JALPak--but, being an expert that you are, you should perhaps be aware that your experience is quite atypical!

Also, it is often profoundly difficult to understand anything, from the consumers' standpoint, when airlines change their long-standing policy and, in this case, even the JL agent didn't quite know how to handle it--noting that they may or may not have ctrl over seat assignments these days and they must try putting thru the request anyhow to find out how it pans out. In fact, she characterized the system behavior unpredictable (see my initial post on this matter from Mar 23, 18 9:44 pm) and she was only able to give me her best guess as to what was happening. So, perhaps JL agents are competent as JALPak posits, but the entire protocol didn't seem all that transparent, even to the JL agent I spoke to--and certainly to me (and my company) as consumers.

Sorry to hear that you have consistently getting incompetent AAgents in the past decade. Now that you know AA should be the one who handles your seat assignment and is capable of doing so, hope you won’t need to waste your valuable time calling JL for your next codeshare flight.

sambagrrl07 Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi all - I wanted to post another data point, having booked an itinerary all on JL metal through AA, JFK-NRT-TPE, TPE-NRT-JFK, the long haul flights having AA flight numbers and fare classes, D, D, X, and I. After getting my JL PNR from AA, I was finally able to retrieve my reservation on the JAL US site using the combo suggested above of AA flight number, JL record locator, last name, and first name (NO middle name needed). I was then able to select seats, which are NOT shown in my reservation on AA's website, but still showing when I retrieve the reservation again on the JAL website. (When I called AA for seat selection, the system robot confirmed that the seats had been selected, however.)

OskiBear Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Just a data point - I had booked a flight for November 2018 a month or two ago and nothing was possible. I called AA today to make a change on an AA segment and, at the same time, the agent said, "Hey, you don't have a seat assignment on your SIN-HND leg. I'll get you these two seats." It's O-fare, AA codeshare. Let's hope the assignments stick. When I received the email confirmation, it has my seats assigned!

cuyp May 8, 2018 12:40 pm

I just bought BOS–NRT–SIN–NRT–BOS in business through AA as it was $600 cheaper. I called AA and they quickly assigned the window seats I wants, and they show up on the AA trip management.
So how can I pre-order a Japanese meal? Impossible?

CPH-Flyer May 8, 2018 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by cuyp (Post 29730678)
I just bought BOS–NRT–SIN–NRT–BOS in business through AA as it was $600 cheaper. I called AA and they quickly assigned the window seats I wants, and they show up on the AA trip management.
So how can I pre-order a Japanese meal? Impossible?

There are some restrictions.

The flights need to be booked directly with JAL. And codeshares operated by JAL but marketed by another carrier are excluded

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/business/meal/meal_yoyaku/

cuyp May 9, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29730775)
There are some restrictions.

The flights need to be booked directly with JAL. And codeshares operated by JAL but marketed by another carrier are excluded

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...l/meal_yoyaku/

Well that's no fun! SQ lets you Book the Cook on partner-marketed flights (by phone).

CPH-Flyer May 9, 2018 11:01 am

Originally Posted by cuyp (Post 29733363)
Well that's no fun! SQ lets you Book the Cook on partner-marketed flights (by phone).

There is a slight difference, SQ book the cook is for options not available otherwise on the flight JAL is just securing your selection. Unless you are in the very last rows, unlikely to be an issue. But it can happen.

ckx2 May 10, 2018 3:06 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29563324)

AA codeshare on JL has always required seat assignment by AA. JL agent will not entertain any seat assignment request.

Umm. AA didn't even have proper access to JL system up until recently. But yeah, incompetent AAgents. :rolleyes:

wanderingstar May 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by hsuyuanyuan (Post 28197836)
For N class, within 72 hours of departure, you can go to the following website to check in: JAL International Flights - A new style of boarding for JAL international flights

There you can select your seat. Way better that calling JAL and being on hold for 30 minutes.

For N-class, which I am booked with on JAL presently, it's 24 hours before the flight. Not on a codeshare.

I was originally told 72-hours. But the website had no option to select a seat when I finally figured out how to log in (it's just a little arcane, which is putting it nicely -- to say nothing of that they have so MANY websites, and none of them are particularly user friendly). I'm not a JAL member, but I booked on their site, initially, for a very low fare.

I finally called and reached a customer service agent today, and I was told it was 24 hours for N class seat reservation -- at least from the U.S.

A little irritated because when I booked the ticket, there was zero indication at all that I wouldn't be able to select a seat... until after I had already entered my credit card information.

Really hoping I at least am seated next to my spouse for the 17 hours of flying from SFO-HAN-HCMC here. Also, I really, really want a window seat. I am a phobic flier and tend to sleep through flights (and I take maybe 10-12 a year).

Also, no idea at all if I will be able to select seats for the return from HAN-HND-NAR-SFO, or if I have to wait again until 24-hours before leaving.

CPH-Flyer May 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingstar (Post 29775500)
For N-class, which I am booked with on JAL presently, it's 24 hours before the flight. Not on a codeshare.

I was originally told 72-hours. But the website had no option to select a seat when I finally figured out how to log in (it's just a little arcane, which is putting it nicely -- to say nothing of that they have so MANY websites, and none of them are particularly user friendly). I'm not a JAL member, but I booked on their site, initially, for a very low fare.

I finally called and reached a customer service agent today, and I was told it was 24 hours for N class seat reservation -- at least from the U.S.

A little irritated because when I booked the ticket, there was zero indication at all that I wouldn't be able to select a seat... until after I had already entered my credit card information.

Really hoping I at least am seated next to my spouse for the 17 hours of flying from SFO-HAN-HCMC here. Also, I really, really want a window seat. I am a phobic flier and tend to sleep through flights (and I take maybe 10-12 a year).

Also, no idea at all if I will be able to select seats for the return from HAN-HND-NAR-SFO, or if I have to wait again until 24-hours before leaving.

Online check in used to be 72 hours before the flight, but when JAL shited their systems to Amadeus in November it was changed to 24 hours before.

JAL has a fair amount of blocked seats that only are available when online check in opens. So I am certain that you well get a seat with your spouse, and fairly certain you will be able to get a window seat if you are not too worried about being at the back of the cabin, and make sure that you check in on the dot.

(On a good point of order, Haneda is HND, Narita is NRT, Hanoi is HAN. It makes it easier to grasp your routings if you use the correct airport codes, or write it out. Though in this case with only seat selection question, it is not that important but for other questions it might be :) )

wanderingstar May 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks a lot, CPH! Sorry, my brain is completely fried from a mad dash with work, packing, and of course sitting on the phone with JAL customer service for about 3 hours, waiting for them to pick up the phone after trying to use their wonderful website.

Robert's Rules most appreciated.

And the reassurance too.

Is everyone annoyed with JAL for this switcharoo, or is that just me?

rustykettel May 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29775524)
JAL has a fair amount of blocked seats that only are available when online check in opens. So I am certain that you well get a seat with your spouse, and fairly certain you will be able to get a window seat if you are not too worried about being at the back of the cabin, and make sure that you check in on the dot

And if for some reason, you're not able to get seats together at OLCI, do check with the JAL counter agent and then at the gate. Sometimes they can make it happen even with a full cabin.

CPH-Flyer May 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingstar (Post 29775550)
Thanks a lot, CPH! Sorry, my brain is completely fried from a mad dash with work, packing, and of course sitting on the phone with JAL customer service for about 3 hours, waiting for them to pick up the phone after trying to use their wonderful website.

Robert's Rules most appreciated.

And the reassurance too.

Is everyone annoyed with JAL for this switcharoo, or is that just me?

The 72H to 24H change? Most airlines do 24, so it is probably just following standards. I don't really think it is going to matter, I don't think you are going to see a high level of new bookings in the 48 hour window to reduce seat selection dramatically. And it anyway will not affect the blocked seats.

I can't even remember when I last did online check in for a flight, so personally speaking I am not annoyed by the change.

JALPak May 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingstar (Post 29775500)

first of all, this thread is about flights booked as AA codershare. Please stop confusing others as you aren’t booked as AA codeshare. Use your own thread or find a more appropriate one please.

also, JAL website indicates seat selection isn’t available for your flight before you enter the credit card info. It’s on the seat selection page and you wouldn’t be able to select your seat for the flights booked under N class. Yes it could have been improved but you are shown indication of seat selection ineligiblability before payment page. And since you are booked via JAL America website, you could have canceled without penalty or fee within 24 hours even you didn’t find out after payment. Anyway all these belongs to a different thread.

wanderingstar May 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Sorry JALPak. And no, it did not indicate this, but I will not argue with you about it. I don't want to cause further confusion in this thread and will start a new one.

trueblu Jun 9, 2018 9:39 pm

Seat selection on JL (NOT codeshare) but via AA.com

I've got an upcoming booking, all in J, the outbound is on JL (X bucket), NOT a codeshare (JL flight number), but presumably on AA ticket stock since I bought it via AA.com. Return is all on AA metal. I was given two PNRs when I made the booking. I can access the JL booking via the JL PNR, but unable to assign seats. I called the EXP line using the AA PNR, and the agent was able to assign me seats, although my preferred choices were "blocked for now". I haven't tried to call JL to see if they can access those blocked seats.

This appears to be a rather different scenario to most of the posts on this thread, in that, as far as I can tell, my flight is not a codeshare, albeit probably on AA ticket stock.

Anyone encounter this before?

tb

CPH-Flyer Jun 9, 2018 10:26 pm

If the seats are blocked, it is because a combination of your fare and status does not allow you to select these specific seats? I am guessing you are looking at Expert Flyer or similar to know that they are blocked, and not simply taken.

JALPak Jun 9, 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29848929)
If the seats are blocked, it is because a combination of your fare and status does not allow you to select these specific seats? I am guessing you are looking at Expert Flyer or similar to know that they are blocked, and not simply taken.

it may also be possible that AA is blocked from selecting those seats. But then again, this is not a codeshare seat selection issue and OP should just start a new thread.

trueblu Jun 10, 2018 3:15 am

I'm not so worried about the blocked seat issue: I'll be happy enough with the J seats I have selected.

Also happy to have the posts moved to a new thread...I thought this was at least semi-related to this thread...

I'm more interested in if this is a new phenomenon or familiar to regular JL flyers; whether it's an odd one-off, or to be expected for potentially future bookings?

tb

rktj Jul 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Looking at booking flight for me, my wife and our 11yo son from MCO-NRT connecting through either DFW or ORD. Booking through AA with flights to NRT operated by JAL. Everything I am reading indicates that we would not be able to select seats for the JAL leg until we check in at our connecting airport. I'm assuming this is still the case? This is obviously a concern as we do not want to be separated on these long flights because there are not three seats together. If there is no guarantee then would just book a different flight that does not include JAL (which would be a shame).

DirtyRandy Jul 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by rktj (Post 30005028)
Looking at booking flight for me, my wife and our 11yo son from MCO-NRT connecting through either DFW or ORD. Booking through AA with flights to NRT operated by JAL. Everything I am reading indicates that we would not be able to select seats for the JAL leg until we check in at our connecting airport. I'm assuming this is still the case? This is obviously a concern as we do not want to be separated on these long flights because there are not three seats together. If there is no guarantee then would just book a different flight that does not include JAL (which would be a shame).

I called AA and booked an award ticket to NRT flying on JL a couple weeks ago. I asked the agent on the phone for the JL confirmation number which was given to me no problem. Was easily able to login to JL's website without issue and I've changed my seat twice already with no problems.

CPH-Flyer Jul 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by rktj (Post 30005028)

It depends on booking class you are looking at, N and O you will have to wait until check in. Other booking classes should allow for seat selection in advance. Though there are problems being reported from time to time AA codeshare does mean AA should be responsible for seat assignments.

I have never had problems with AA issuing boarding passes for a JAL operated flight on the same booking. Though JAL likes to reprint them. So definitely no waiting until the JAL gate to get seats.

Originally Posted by DirtyRandy (Post 30005313)
I called AA and booked an award ticket to NRT flying on JL a couple weeks ago. I asked the agent on the phone for the JL confirmation number which was given to me no problem. Was easily able to login to JL's website without issue and I've changed my seat twice already with no problems.

Award flights are different, as they are always on the native flight number.

rktj Jul 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30005612)
It depends on booking class you are looking at, N and O you will have to wait until check in. Other booking classes should allow for seat selection in advance. Though there are problems being reported from time to time AA codeshare does mean AA should be responsible for seat assignments.

I have never had problems with AA issuing boarding passes for a JAL operated flight on the same booking. Though JAL likes to reprint them. So definitely no waiting until the JAL gate to get seats.

Thanks for the insight. AA website states that the booking class for JAL legs are "Q"

worldtrav Aug 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 (Post 29643611)
Hi all - I wanted to post another data point, having booked an itinerary all on JL metal through AA, JFK-NRT-TPE, TPE-NRT-JFK, the long haul flights having AA flight numbers and fare classes, D, D, X, and I. After getting my JL PNR from AA, I was finally able to retrieve my reservation on the JAL US site using the combo suggested above of AA flight number, JL record locator, last name, and first name (NO middle name needed). I was then able to select seats, which are NOT shown in my reservation on AA's website, but still showing when I retrieve the reservation again on the JAL website. (When I called AA for seat selection, the system robot confirmed that the seats had been selected, however.)

I have a couple of reservations booked through AA that are operated by JL with AA codeshare flight numbers. Following the advice in this thread I have tried every combination of flight numbers, reservation numbers etc and always get an error . Anyone have any other ideas why I can't pull up the bookings? I gave up waiting for JL to answer the phone after an hour. I suppose I could try calling AA too.

OskiBear Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

I'm stuck in the same boat. I have an intinerary LAX-PEK / SIN-HND / NRT-LAX with the first leg on AA and the rest on JL but with an AA codeshare flight number.

Previously, I was able to log in and select my seats using the aforementioned AA flight numbers + JL PNR.

However, that has since stopped working and I'm no longer able to log in on the JL site.

worldtrav Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 30077878)
I'm stuck in the same boat. I have an intinerary LAX-PEK / SIN-HND / NRT-LAX with the first leg on AA and the rest on JL but with an AA codeshare flight number.

Previously, I was able to log in and select my seats using the aforementioned AA flight numbers + JL PNR.

However, that has since stopped working and I'm no longer able to log in on the JL site.

Hello OskiBear, I ended up calling AA reservations who fixed my JAL seat reservations without any fuss. The JAL website functionality leaves much to be desired.

JALPak Aug 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav (Post 30083652)
Hello OskiBear, I ended up calling AA reservations who fixed my JAL seat reservations without any fuss. The JAL website functionality leaves much to be desired.

you bought a ticket with AA not JL. It is the marketing carrier’s responsibility to provide this type of function. JL is not obligated to let you login to view your AA coded flights.

OskiBear Aug 16, 2018 10:38 am

Why don't the seat assignments stick? They get put in by AA and when I check back a few weeks later, they're either gone or moved to another seat.