FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

ZBigFam Sep 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 35571771)
Get the JAL PNR from AA, then login to JAL MMB site to pick seats available to you.

Thanks! Done and done, now I have two different sets of sky suites to sample...

Agneisse Sep 20, 2023 1:11 pm

I have an award redemption booked via AA. The operating airlines are AA-JL.

For the JL flight, there are several "OWE only" J seats that are not occupied (per ExpertFlyer) and I would like to try to assign them when they become free for all. Do they become a free for all 24 hours before the first JL flight on the itinerary, or 24 hours before the first flight (i.e., the AA flight) on the itinerary? Is the best way to assign via the JL website or that of another OW airline? Upthread I saw someone suggest the MH website.

Edit: Answering my own question. These seats opened up more than 48 hours before the flight and I was able to move into row 2 window (787-9 J).

RKDuke Oct 10, 2023 7:28 am

Seat assignment difficulties on AA code share operated by JAL

I've had a hell of a time trying to get my J seats on a BOS-NRT round trip:
1. Booked on line, saw a note that I need to call JAL for seat assignments.
2. Try to manage flight using JAL record locator on JAL web site. Not possible.
3. Called JAL, spent an hour on hold and gave up. Hunted on their web site and found a note stating that customers need to call AA for code share flight help.
4. Called AA, agent said "no problem", and got me seats.
5. Seats don't show up on my AA on line itinerary. Called AA back, different agent tells me that seats have been "requested" but not "confirmed" and that I need to call JAL. Telling here that JAL states that AA assigns seats fell on deaf ears with this agent.
6. Call JAL, spent an another hour on hold and gave up.
7. Call AA again, get a much better agent that, after some checking, said that my previous seat assignments were actually in seats that were unavailable and then successfully got me alternate seats.
8. Checked AA web sites and am seeing the seats assignments. All set.

What the heck! Can't this be made easier as with AA code shares on BA for example? I'll certainly think twice before booking an AA code share on JAL again.

sushanna1 Oct 10, 2023 8:29 am

Thanks for posting. Does this mean that I should not even try to get assigned seas in Economy on two JAL operated flights within Asia. on JAL? Flights were purchased through AA as part of a round trip ticket. Only one flight is an AA code share. I naively thought that being One World Emerald would allow me to choose seats in advance.

JJeffrey Oct 10, 2023 9:49 am

There have been issues with seat assignments on JL flights booked as AA codeshares for years.

Basically if the flight is JL coded then it's no problem to go to the JL website and use MMB to select seats.

But if the flight is AA coded you have to call AA, or just wait until check-in.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...ispreloading=1

RKDuke Oct 10, 2023 11:05 am

Originally Posted by sushanna1 (Post 35652121)
Thanks for posting. Does this mean that I should not even try to get assigned seas in Economy on two JAL operated flights within Asia. on JAL? Flights were purchased through AA as part of a round trip ticket. Only one flight is an AA code share. I naively thought that being One World Emerald would allow me to choose seats in advance.

I don't think the class of service has anything to do with this problem. I think the problem is poor integration of the AA and JAL reservation systems, a lack of training of AA agents on this issue, and poor communication to customers as to the proper process for seat assignments.

CPH-Flyer Oct 10, 2023 5:59 pm

The agreement between JL and AA is that AA has to handle the seat assignments for codeshare flight on JAL with the AA code. I know the AA agents are difficult to deal with in this matter, but it generally is possible to do with a bit of tenacity.
The JAL agents on the other hand are very well trained in the agreed scope and will refer you back to AA.

Daytona Dec 18, 2023 12:21 am

Did AA/JL finally got their systems to talk to each other now?

Just booked a AA-coded JL flight (non-award). The email confirmation I received contains the AA and JL PNR. I went to JAL's website and put in the JL PNR with the AA flight number, I was able to get into MMB and open the seat map. I did not put in my JMB number during booking so it only showed aisle seats are available to me, but I was able to confirm the seat assignment, at least on JL's side.

Went back to AA's website and put in my JMB number (Sapphire), and then I went back to JL's website again and open the seat map. I was then able to select the window seats, and the new seat assignments show up both on JL and AA's website.

fliesdelta Dec 26, 2023 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona (Post 35830624)
Did AA/JL finally got their systems to talk to each other now?

Just booked a AA-coded JL flight (non-award). The email confirmation I received contains the AA and JL PNR. I went to JAL's website and put in the JL PNR with the AA flight number, I was able to get into MMB and open the seat map. I did not put in my JMB number during booking so it only showed aisle seats are available to me, but I was able to confirm the seat assignment, at least on JL's side.

Went back to AA's website and put in my JMB number (Sapphire), and then I went back to JL's website again and open the seat map. I was then able to select the window seats, and the new seat assignments show up both on JL and AA's website.

My experience this evening is similar to the above, I just wanted to add that I'm booked in O class. My trip is in May 2024. I'm not sure if AA status makes a difference as far as advanced seat assignments, but I'm PP right now.

tansam Dec 28, 2023 12:14 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 35851686)
My experience this evening is similar to the above, I just wanted to add that I'm booked in O class. My trip is in May 2024. I'm not sure if AA status makes a difference as far as advanced seat assignments, but I'm PP right now.

Same experience for a flight next week, which I previously was unable to access through the JAL website. So it seems like this change applies to existing reservations as well. The forward cabin window seats that AA EXP desk agents had assured me were all "occupied" in their system are now selectable on the JAL website using the JAL booking code with AA flight number. However, I'm not able to choose between Japanese and Western meals.

davidgrahammd Dec 28, 2023 9:24 am

I have had the same success with seat selection

I see no way to access meal options. Kinda important for my wife who is gluten intolerant.

13 hours for her with no food could lead to serious "hangry" issues :)

Guess I'll call AA to get it set?

joejones Jan 1, 2024 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by formiles (Post 35195997)
I just looked up our reservation on AA and it says ticketed but there's no ticket numbers listed anywhere on the reservation page, confirmation email, etc.

For anyone else having this problem, the ticket number should show up in the trip confirmation email under "Your purchase." The line item for the fees and taxes should say "New ticket" followed by a 13-digit ticket number.