Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Hotel concierge does not respond to emails ([email protected]) - pick up the phone and call instead.

Lounge

120 EUR per room for Ambassadors
150 EUR per room for everyone else
Should be free for all RA's now, for sure if you are a regular guest
Must book club room for free access. Lounge access not part of the regular rate for suites.
Lounge access is included for free with all room categories when you book via a Virtuoso travel agent (see the Luxury Hotels forum if you need one)

Mini-bar
Mini-bar drinks complimentary to RA on both paid and award stays

Update Nov 12 Mini-bar is not complimentary on RA award stays unless you are a regular customer

Print Wikipost

IC Le Grand Paris Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Same as above - was there last week and it’s being handled really well.

From the Club Lounge, some covered scaffolding is visible.

Otherwise, no noise, no disruption. As a guest you won’t notice the work inside the hotel unless you hunt for it.

The biggest drawback is the pressure on availability and price due to rooms out of service for renovation.

Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I just redeemed a free night certificate for a "classic room." I expect to receive the worst room in the hotel.

I don't stay at IHG hotels anymore so it will be interesting to see how this stay goes. I know IHG platinum status is generally worthless so my expectations are pretty low, but I figured this was a much better redemption value than other IHG properties in Paris.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
garden view

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I just redeemed a free night certificate for a "classic room." I expect to receive the worst room in the hotel.

I don't stay at IHG hotels anymore so it will be interesting to see how this stay goes. I know IHG platinum status is generally worthless so my expectations are pretty low, but I figured this was a much better redemption value than other IHG properties in Paris.
Last May, we redeemed a Platinum free night. We asked for a "quiet, comfortable" room and got, I believe, an executive room overlooking the winter garden. It was spring, so we were outside most of the time. We would rather tour the opera house than view it from some window. It would be different in winter or with the recent commotion in the streets. Good luck to you!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Interesting experience.

Between the time of booking and 12 hours before arrival, my booking was changed from the "classic room" with a queen-sized bed that I had reserved to what the IHG mobile application listed as a "superior view" with 2, twin-sized beds.

I was never contacted by the property. Not sure if they don't do pre-arrival emails or I just didn't receive it since I booked about 3 days before arrival.

I called IHG and the agent was great. She put me on hold and then called the property. A few minutes later she confirmed to me to a queen-sized room. I then noticed the IHG mobile application had updated my reservation to an "Eiffel Tower view superior room" that included a "private balcony."

When I arrived at 10 a.m. my room was ready. Talk about a huge relief after a long day of traveling, though I should note the published check-in time of 2 p.m. is earlier than many hotels. I was told I was upgraded as an IHG platinum to a 4th floor city view king with a double balcony. I'm not sure if the bed was actually king-sized or not but whatever. I was given a welcome letter that personally addressed me and included my current IHG point balance. I was then offered a choice between 600 arrival points or a voucher for a free drink in the grand Winter Garden lobby bar. The drink was house red wine, house white wine, champagne, soda, coffee, or tea. Since my reservation listed 2 people my voucher was good for 2 drinks.

The Winter Garden is great and was the inspiration for many similar spaces in much later 1880s or 1890s grand hotels, including the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. As for the champagne, they are very generous. The waitress said with the voucher you can order any champagne, except the Dom Pérignon. I guess this meant the Veuve Clicquot grand dame, Krug grand cuvee, etc. was fair game but I played it safe and ordered 2 glasses of Moët & Chandon. It tasted like Moët, but the bottle was never shown so I have no idea what I actually received. But, hey, it was "free." In my opinion, this is an exceptionally generous platinum amenity. Personally, I think it's crazy not to offer a breakfast benefit, as that has to be a lot cheaper than two glasses of champagne that would have been at least 22 or 25 euros per glass. On top of this, about 20 minutes after arriving there was a knock on my door from a valet, who delivered a bottle of the house champagne, which is Deutz (about 35 euros per bottle); a bowl of fresh oranges; and a plate of 6 macarons.

My room was fine. It was the old school room decor, which is being updated with the property's renovations. Speaking of the renovations I couldn't hear any noise. The only signs of renovation were the scaffolding and fake facade. The room was super-clean and everything worked, despite being 16 years since the last major renovation. My only complaint was the complete lack of electrical outlets for computers, devices and other gadgets. There was one outlet at the desk -- that's it. I suppose I expected a slightly better TV; mine was maybe 7–8 years old and didn't have a channel guide. The bed and feather pillows were amazing. Great range of Anne Semonin-branded 2.7 ounce toiletries. Two complimentary bottles of water. Instant coffee and kettle. Full mini-bar, but at outrageous prices (9 euros for a can of Coke Zero). The dual private balconies, one in the bedroom and the other in the bathroom, were nice but you can't actually use the balcony. You can only crack the doors. That's very, very disappointing, especially since it's advertised as a "private balcony."

Basically, I thought this hotel was very much like the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House before its renovation. Classic, old school and good but not over-the-top service. I doubt the staff would have jumped off the building for me. For example, I casually mentioned at check-in that Delta had lost my bag and wouldn't deliver it for 24-36 hours. There was no offer to find me stores with the clothes or toiletries I needed. Not the best service, but pretty good for a chain hotel.

I'd be curious to see what the updated rooms are like. Between the renovations, Christmas holiday and the recent riots, the hotel was dead. Like completely dead. So maybe that's why I had such good treatment as a IHG platinum. I noticed there were almost no staff working at the front desk, Winter Garden bar, and even no doormen after 5 p.m. It's like they were on the absolute minimum staffing. By 8 p.m. the hotel's famous Café de la Paix was a ghost town.

Would I stay here again? There's no question that this was a great use of my annual Chase free night. With that said, I wouldn't pay the going rate of more than 300 euros per night for a classic room. I certainly wouldn't pay 700 euros for a suite with an internal view of the courtyard. My original room was supposed to have an Eiffel Tower view, but who knows if you could actually see the Eiffel Tower since you can't use the balcony. I realize this is Paris, but for that kind of money you can get a newer property with newer and better in-room amenities. Yes, this property has history, charm and sentimental appeal, but at the end of the day the service is more in-line with Intercontinental standards than a 5-star grand hotel in Paris. I'm also just not an IHG guy because the program is so weak in hard benefits compared to Marriott or Hyatt. As I said earlier, I would have rather had the free breakfast than 2 free glasses of champagne. I say all of this as someone who started out with the old Priority Club 16 years old and at one point had royal ambassador status (albeit for 1 year). If I was with my girlfriend or on a honeymoon I have no doubt this would be a great property as it is what you expect of an old school, grand hotel. Maybe I'm spoiled because I've stayed at really good hotels. I will say the recognition and benefits given to me as an IHG platinum, who stays less than 5 nights per year with IHG, was impressive but again it may have been an outlier due to the low-occupancy. But I feel like the Intercontinental brand is a bad fit as I associate Intercontinental with 4 stars, not 5 stars. I think it would be better off as an independent hotel or maybe Marriott's Luxury Collection.

Here is the champagne list you choose from if you redeem your voucher in the Winter Garden for a glass of champagne. Again, I was told the voucher was good for everything listed except the Dom Pérignon.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 21, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:46 pm

I'd be curious to see what the updated rooms are like.
Here are some pictures from earlier this year:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29643594-post1623.html
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DonPedro

Here are some pictures from earlier this year:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29643594-post1623.html
That's useful. All they did was change some of the furniture, some of the art and switch the color palette. If those pictures are accurate, they did not update the hardware in the room; namely the complete lack of electrical or USB outlets. In those photos and in my room, an unrenovated room, you would have to unplug various lights to use an electrical outlet. There is only one outlet at the desk at your disposal, assuming you don't want to use it for the kettle.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:32 am

namely the complete lack of electrical or USB outlets.
The radio alarm clock in the second pic has two USB chargers and Bluetooth.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DonPedro

The radio alarm clock in the second pic has two USB chargers and Bluetooth.
That's still not really sufficient given it's not on the nightstand.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I doubt the staff would have jumped off the building for me
I would bloody well hope not...

Thanks for the detailed review.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Just came back from there, we had to pay 120 for Club access as Ambassador member. The Lounge was very nice, 2 floors and well appointed with very nice staff. I booked a classic room using free night and award night and got 3 cat upgrade to superior room with view. My window opened right out to the Opera where we watched the Yellow Vest people organize. Our room had a bathroom with tub and sink and the toilet was a separate room by the door upon entering the room, a bit weird but i can understand the concept.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed earlier this week for what I thought would be my final visit to my favorite IC Club anywhere, but when I asked in the Club for an update on the renovation plans, I was told they would not begin work on the club before the summer of 2019.
I missed the stalls in the Champs-Elysee. Paris, and the hotel, felt very subdued. Until I checked out, I did not see a single staff member I had ever seen before.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
Our room had a bathroom with tub and sink and the toilet was a separate room by the door upon entering the room, a bit weird but i can understand the concept.
I'm guessing it's the location of the original water closet from the 19th century.

Originally Posted by rfrost
I stayed earlier this week for what I thought would be my final visit to my favorite IC Club anywhere, but when I asked in the Club for an update on the renovation plans, I was told they would not begin work on the club before the summer of 2019.
I missed the stalls in the Champs-Elysee. Paris, and the hotel, felt very subdued. Until I checked out, I did not see a single staff member I had ever seen before.
I was told the renovation is behind schedule. As for staff, I was very disappointed. The service was just off when I stayed there. It was clear they also reduced staffing, which meant no doorman at night and nobody to assist with luggage or getting you a taxi in the early morning.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
There was no doorman in sight when I arrived mid-afternoon, although someone eventually appeared. When I left in the early am, I asked the security guard to help me down the stairs with the luggage; with the railings covered with Christmas greenery, I couldn’t hold on and, given my current balance problems, would not have managed by myself.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm guessing it's the location of the original water closet from the 19th century.
LOL. Actually this is the way it is in pretty much all of France. Even modern homes. It's actually much more civilized when you think about it.

I was told the renovation is behind schedule. As for staff, I was very disappointed. The service was just off when I stayed there. It was clear they also reduced staffing, which meant no doorman at night and nobody to assist with luggage or getting you a taxi in the early morning.
Yes the renovation is definitely behind schedule, but it is actively happening. Kind of normal for a major hotel in a historic city. I haven't noticed any reduced staffing yet. Nor service. The club is fully staffed. I got the usual Prestige Suite upgrade through NYE which is very welcome.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
LOL. Actually this is the way it is in pretty much all of France. Even modern homes. It's actually much more civilized when you think about it.
Maybe, but given the era of the hotel's construction it's quite possible that these were water closets.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I haven't noticed any reduced staffing yet. Nor service. The club is fully staffed. I got the usual Prestige Suite upgrade through NYE which is very welcome.
Well, maybe in the club but the rest of the hotel was definitely on a reduced staffing allocation when I stayed there last week. Another poster confirmed this was his experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.