Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Quick question about this property -- I am considering it among a few other options in the region for a trip next January (planning in advance out of jealousy for friends on social media who escaped the cold weather in the US this year...). I like the look of this hotel a lot and see lots of mostly good reviews, but I'm seeing mixed information online for typical weather around Da Nang in January, with some places suggesting it might be as cool as low 20s C, which is better than New York that time of year but isn't necessarily really beach weather. The most likely alternative destination I'm considering is Koh Samui (not necessarily the Intercontinental there, just the destination in general, which appears to be typically slightly warmer in January).

Any firsthand experience on how the weather is likely to be at this resort in mid-January?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
Quick question about this property -- I am considering it among a few other options in the region for a trip next January (planning in advance out of jealousy for friends on social media who escaped the cold weather in the US this year...). I like the look of this hotel a lot and see lots of mostly good reviews, but I'm seeing mixed information online for typical weather around Da Nang in January, with some places suggesting it might be as cool as low 20s C, which is better than New York that time of year but isn't necessarily really beach weather. The most likely alternative destination I'm considering is Koh Samui (not necessarily the Intercontinental there, just the destination in general, which appears to be typically slightly warmer in January).

Any firsthand experience on how the weather is likely to be at this resort in mid-January?

Thanks!
Cloudy (not much sun) and cool (low 20 degrees) not windy. My own January 20-24 (i think ) visit was dry all 4days other than odd 30mins very light drizzle. on 2days that did not affect me.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:53 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stargold
No, they do not provide any upgrade on reward nights, and that is very much within the T&Cs.

Personally I was not a fan of the base room layout, so I would recommend a minimum of the Terrace Suite.

The Club Peninsula Suite would be larger and better, but I found the Terrace Suite to be sufficient (although perhaps not, if you are coming from a villa!).
I stayed for 5 nights on points as a platinum ambassador. They gave me a “club” room without club access as as an upgrade. They said it was better than a regular room, higher ceilings or something. We were perfectly happy with it. It was large and had a wonderful view. I forgot don’t feel like paying for an upgrade this time around. We really loved the hotel. It was so relaxing. I would definitely stay there again. They treated us well as ambassador. Gave us chocolates multiple times in the room. . Sent us wine one night with room service.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:51 am

For an upcoming stay, in lieu of an upgrade to a Terrace Suite, I asked for a discounted club rate. I was quoted USD160++/night instead of USD185++. Worth it? I was originally offered 20% F&B in lieu of a Terrace Suite.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
I wold only say it is worth it if you are going to have breakfast everyday in there. Eat snacks during the day in there. Have afternoon tea in there, and drink heavily during cocktails time. We did all three and thought it was value for money
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
For an upcoming stay, in lieu of an upgrade to a Terrace Suite, I asked for a discounted club rate. I was quoted USD160++/night instead of USD185++. Worth it? I was originally offered 20% F&B in lieu of a Terrace Suite.
Is there a particular reason that you're avoiding the Terrace Suite? It is much, in my opinion, considerably nicer than the standard rooms so I would not voluntarily turn down the upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:13 am

I was quoted USD160++/night instead of USD185++. I was originally offered 20% F&B in lieu of a Terrace Suite.

160 instead of 185 is imo a ridiculous offer. Especially combined with the fact that on the other hand they offered 20% F&B.

I would assume 20% F&B includes a 20% off on the club rate.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 336
160 instead of 185 is imo a ridiculous offer. Especially combined with the fact that on the other hand they offered 20% F&B.

I would assume 20% F&B includes a 20% off on the club rate.
I expect offer was actually 20% discount on any f+b purchases in restaurants/in-room-dining. So if spending greater f+b than usd125 / day then discount is better option. At Da Nang easy as a couple to spent usd200/day which saves $40/day . I'd never fvoluntarily orgo upgrade in favour of a cash adjustment/discount offer by hotel. As RA it sometimes occurs I get only 1cat upgrade to a suite and cash adjustment for missed 2cat RA upgrade if hotel has limited number of beter suites.

Issue here for me is hotel offers all guests a f+b discount in attempt to increase f+b income so not sure if offer is greater discount or std offer to all guests. As RA I just paid for my evening meal on solo stay but easily spent usd70++ per evening meal in main restaurant and could have spent far more if dining in their Michelin * restraunt. Vasicall the IC f+b is open to non-guests who don't get the f+b guests discount.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:55 pm

I need a room with 2 twin beds. One and only reason.

Is there a particular reason that you're avoiding the Terrace Suite? It is much, in my opinion, considerably nicer than the standard rooms so I would not voluntarily turn down the upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:02 pm

I need a room with 2 twin beds. One and only reason.
Ah, that's understandable (and also a shame to miss out on the upgrade).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ah, that's understandable (and also a shame to miss out on the upgrade).
In that case I'd take the Club supplement discount, but maybe counter propose 150$. We used the Club every day for breakfast, high tea and evenings drinks and even ordered our dinner there from room service menu every evening (they serve it after drinks are done at 7:30pm). Overall worth it in my book just for the calmer and more civilized environment. The Club team is very helpful and trying hard. While not everything maybe super perfect they take feedback to heart and act and are genuinely looking to please. Can't complain. YMMV.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I just tried searching through the whole calendar for any reward nights, and not a single date is available. Is that typical for this property?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I just tried searching through the whole calendar for any reward nights, and not a single date is available. Is that typical for this property?
I think the calendar is broken. Availability is decent if you book far in advance (like 4+ months).
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In the past no issues with finding reward nights though popular holiday periods go quickly and far out as average paid rates are highish. Wouldn't be surprised if IHG in their website improvement efforts have mucked up another feature as another poster mentioned.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:41 am

Is there a significant difference between Classic Ocean View and Son Tra Ocean View's room? Isn't Ambassador booking Classic Ocean going to be upgraded to a Son Tra Ovean View anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.