Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by packfanlv
I just did a BRG for the Venetian in Las Vegas for this Friday 5/17. The lowest rate on the IHG website was $219 plus tax at the time of booking. Priceline was showing $199 at the same time. (Priceline was lower by the same amount on total cost as well.) I went through with the booking and called the hotline. I was told they would make a decision within an hour.

A few minutes after getting off of the phone the rate on IHG mysteriously lowered to $199. They just sent me a rejection stating that the IHG rate was $199 and thus they were denying me. How would I have been able to book the room for $219 (same exact category and rate type) if it was $199? Luckily I made a screenshot of their site showing $219 as the lowest rate and sent it to them. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Hopefully they will honor based on the screenshot, but what would be my next recourse? Thanks!
They did it while I was on the phone with BRG staff
Old May 16, 2013, 8:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Curious about something. I am considering doing a BRG for a room that prices out lower than IHG on another site for the London property. However, I have a 2-year-old child with me, and including vs excluding him has no impact on the room price, except on the competing website. Is this something I can add to the reservation later? How does the checkin desk look at this? Technically, he does not need a bed, just need a roll-away crib, and I usually book 2 adults, 0 children because of this - but I have never tried this with BRG. Just curious about others' experiences.

Just reviewed the approval email they had sent, and although I am still waiting for the final approval, the exact text in this one states:

• Changes to the reservation such as number of adults, length of stay, dates of stay, type of room and such are not allowed and would mean the forfeiture of your free night.
I read that as adding children with no problem. Just following the letter of the law just like they are
Old May 16, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by tangey
I'm assuming the rate on you booking hasn't changed to $199 ? If not then i cant see how what the price is NOW makes any difference to the claim. simply remind them that your booking confirmation number#XXXXXX on their systems shows that your booking at the time was $219, and thus it is impossible that the room rate at the time you booked it was $199. If the rate on your booking has changed then send them a copy of the confirmation email showing you booked @ the $219 rate and tell them that it proves the hotel has changed the price afterwards to try to escape its BRG commitment.

This is a situation that I would stand very firm on. The fact you have a booking @$219 rate is concrete proof of the rate at the time you made the booking.
Well I called back to the call center in the Philippines and the agent could only say it had been escalated based on my email yesterday. He had no more information, couldn't tell me how long it would take and wouldn't transfer me to a supervisor. I tweeted and emailed the IHGCare team to hopefully get someone to look at this. The check-in is tomorrow so this needs to get resolved. I'll check back with the resolution. I have high hopes that the corporate team will resolve this quickly. At least I hope they will.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:23 pm
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
Originally Posted by travelkid
Borderline. Try to book hotel B without PC # and add that on check out- as long as both BRG are fine, and not being reimbursed.

That is if you really need the points. Add at check in if you need status perks.
A followup.... Hotel A is booked on July 1. It is approved for a BRG. You decide to cancel it. The T&C do now allow another BRG approval for that date, within 50 miles of Hotel A. However, can one get a BRG approved for June 30 or July 2 at Hotel B, which is within 50 miles of hotel A?
Old May 16, 2013, 3:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ffj
A followup.... Hotel A is booked on July 1. It is approved for a BRG. You decide to cancel it. The T&C do now allow another BRG approval for that date, within 50 miles of Hotel A. However, can one get a BRG approved for June 30 or July 2 at Hotel B, which is within 50 miles of hotel A?
Consecutive date also not allowed.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:54 pm

Well I called back to the call center in the Philippines and the agent could only say it had been escalated based on my email yesterday. He had no more information, couldn't tell me how long it would take and wouldn't transfer me to a supervisor. I tweeted and emailed the IHGCare team to hopefully get someone to look at this. The check-in is tomorrow so this needs to get resolved. I'll check back with the resolution. I have high hopes that the corporate team will resolve this quickly. At least I hope they will.
They keep denying my claim saying that it is not their problem that the rate went down AFTER I booked. I have completely lost faith in this company. This simply astonishes me. I have email proof that they are saying the Best Price Guarantee doesn't apply if they have lowered the price on their site during the time that you have made your claim. It doesn't matter what the price is during the time you book, only when they verify your claim. This is something that I feel needs to be reviewed by the authorities. Hopefully the upper-management who I have contact will deal with it. Wow!
Old May 16, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
They keep denying my claim saying that it is not their problem that the rate went down AFTER I booked. I have completely lost faith in this company. This simply astonishes me. I have email proof that they are saying the Best Price Guarantee doesn't apply if they have lowered the price on their site during the time that you have made your claim. It doesn't matter what the price is during the time you book, only when they verify your claim. This is something that I feel needs to be reviewed by the authorities. Hopefully the upper-management who I have contact will deal with it. Wow!
Eh? If the rate actually changes between the time of booking and the time of verification, you're stuck. That's the risk of the program, but it's clearly stated in the terms and conditions. Same with SPG's program.

I don't see why they would give you a freebie here.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Following up on my situation from earlier, a successful resolution. I received an apology from IHG, and I will receive a check from IHG to cover the full amount of the stay. ^
Old May 16, 2013, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Eh? If the rate actually changes between the time of booking and the time of verification, you're stuck. That's the risk of the program, but it's clearly stated in the terms and conditions. Same with SPG's program.

I don't see why they would give you a freebie here.
But the terms don't say anything about their IHG rate changing between booking and verification. The competitor's rate was lower so that part of the T&C is in compliance. Show me where it says that they don't have to honor if their own website rate changes. It doesn't. It says the rate as determined by their agent. They can confirm the rate on their website by my booking. They most likely left this purposely vague, but it definitely does not say the IHG rate at the time of verification in the T&C.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:36 pm

But the terms don't say anything about their IHG rate changing between booking and verification. The competitor's rate was lower so that part of the T&C is in compliance. Show me where it says that they don't have to honor if their own website rate changes. It doesn't. It says the rate as determined by their agent. They can confirm the rate on their website by my booking. They most likely left this purposely vague, but it definitely does not say the IHG rate at the time of verification in the T&C.

Seriously??

https://www.ihg.com/rewards/us/en/cu...rms-conditions (bolding mine)

3. Reporting an IHG of a Claim. Contact us using the online claim form or by contacting the Best Price Guarantee Support Desk within twenty-four (24) hours after your booking on any IHG website to make a claim under the Best Price Guarantee. The average nightly lower room price and lower total room cost must be available for booking at the time of claim verification and both must be lower than those found on an IHG website, as determined by IHG customer service representatives.
If the IHG rate is the same as your claimed rate at the time of verification, then how is your rate actually "lower"?
Old May 16, 2013, 7:40 pm

See also, ibid:

11. Verification of Claims. All claims are subject to verification by IHG. IHG must be able to verify the lower room price and the total room cost (and, for multi-night stays, the average lower room price and the average total room cost) found on the non-IHG website at the time the claim is processed and verify that both the room price and the total room cost at the time of verification are lower than those found on IHG’s websites.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:48 pm

See also, ibid:
Also note that the T&C specifically mention the rate at time of verification for the competitor's rate, but fail to mention the time of verification for the IHG rate. You can fight with me all you want, but it doesn't say that. It specifically is vague in that regard. Why would they have a Best Rate Guarantee if they could lower the rate after you informed them and then deny your claim?
Old May 16, 2013, 7:50 pm

Also note that the T&C specifically mention the rate at time of verification for the competitor's rate, but fail to mention the time of verification for the IHG rate. You can fight with me all you want, but it doesn't say that. It specifically is vague in that regard. Why would they have a Best Rate Guarantee if they could lower the rate after you informed them and then deny your claim?
No need to fight. I see your argument, and if I were in your shoes I would (have to) make the same argument. Just doesn't seem like it'll win. You can argue that the ambiguity should be construed against the drafter, but you can't argue that to the drafter.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:54 pm

No matter what they decide, I am going to forward this to my state's Attorney General for investigation. Whether I am burned by this or not, you can't offer a guarantee if you can later lower the prices and deny it. It really proves what this company is about. Maybe this is legal, but at the very least someone should make sure that it is.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:12 pm

Following up on my situation from earlier, a successful resolution. I received an apology from IHG, and I will receive a check from IHG to cover the full amount of the stay. ^
Does anyone know how good IHG's email promises are to cover the full amount of the stay by issuing a check? The check should include the tax, right? I was also given this promise but I really do not want to end up paying $400 for the supposedly free night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.