Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:55 am
Company Representative - InterContinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Charge for 2nd Person?

Originally Posted by asmallworld
I have got a little OT question here.. I am IC Ambassador and was just wondering..

its not going to be a problem to book a room only for one person (single) and then arrive as a couple right? As I read it, thats exactly what AMB promises (book single, stay double). If breakfast is included in the single room rate, will they charge breakfast for the second person?
Hello:

Always watch the Extra Person charges carefully and ensure your Ambassador Number is on the Reservation. In general, the IHG Website will automatically take into account your Ambassador Status. We have seen a couple of hotels in the Far East that have a House Default to charge on the 2nd Extra Person for all rates. We will ensure the Front Desk will adjust the Extra Person Charge off provided your Ambassador Number is on the Reservation or you present your Ambassador Card at the front desk upon arrival.

Kevin.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:59 am

Apples to Apples?

Originally Posted by Happy
Thank you Kevin for posting update. We really appreciate that.

Regarding the bolded part above, do we still have to book the Advance Purchase rate in order to qualify for the BPG?

In other words, we still cannot use a refundable rate on 3rd party site to compare IHG's Best Flex Rate? i.e. apple to apple.

Because travel plans do change often by unforeseeable reasons, many of us would normally book the Best Flexible Rates rather than the AP rates.

What if one must switch to the nonrefundable rate in order for the BPG to go through, then one has to cancel the reservation in the case of travel plan changed unexpectedly?

It would be most helpful if you could clarify the above in your next update.

Hello:

The decision was made when implementing the Best Price Guarantee Program the focus would be on the Lowest Rate. Sometimes the "lowest rate" also ends up being a "Non Flexible" or "Advance Purchase" type rate. To clarify, if a rate on a 3rd Party Site is 100 and the IHG Site rate is 90, then the BPG would not be honored.....regardless of the cancel policy.

I understand the "Apples to Apples" comparison, but we're really only comparing the "Rate to Rate" and not the "Entire Reservation including Rate and Cancel Policy against Rate and Cancel Policy."

Kevin.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by IHG Care
Hello:

Regarding currency conversion, the Terms do state "Price on competing website must be in the same currency as the reservation made on the IHG Website. Currency conversions will not be considered."

So, we will look at the conversion on the site against the IHG Site. Keep in mind the Third Party Sites control the currency tables they use. My recommendation is if the rate difference is significantly different, you may try to submit a claim. If the rates are pretty close between the 2 sites, you may be denied a claim.

Kevin
Just filed a claim with a different billing currency - the difference between the price is more than 10% which I think it should be sufficient to file a claim according to IHG CARE. Let's see how it goes.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:56 pm

Hello:

Regarding currency conversion, the Terms do state "Price on competing website must be in the same currency as the reservation made on the IHG Website. Currency conversions will not be considered."

So, we will look at the conversion on the site against the IHG Site. Keep in mind the Third Party Sites control the currency tables they use. My recommendation is if the rate difference is significantly different, you may try to submit a claim. If the rates are pretty close between the 2 sites, you may be denied a claim.

Kevin
I feel confused by your reply. Here are three questions to ask:
  1. According to the current terms and conditions, currency conversions will not be considered. However, you mentioned that "if the rate difference is significant different, you may try to submit a claim."
    Suppose there is a room sold at USD 1000 on IHG website while the same room with identical conditions is sold at GBP 1 on a third-party website. Will a claim be honored? (My reasoning is based on the fact that GBP 1 must be much less than USD 1000, regardless of any reasonable exchange rate used in the world as of today and as well as any day in the history.)

2. You mentioned that "we will look at the conversion on the site against the IHG Site." To make it clear, do you mean the conversion rate obtained on the pop-up window obtained by clicking a currency during a reservation?
    I am confused by the your words "If the rates are pretty close between the 2 sites, you may be denied a claim." It is explicitly stated in the terms and conditions that a difference of at least $1 per night for the guarantee to be honored. Please explain and elaborate the quoted sentence. You may consider the following example as well.

1. Suppose there is a room sold at GBP 101 on IHG website while the same room with identical conditions is sold at GBP 100 on a third-party website. Will a claim be honored? If so, is it because as of today (7 October 2011), the difference GBP 1 is at least USD 1, referencing the "InterContinental Hotels Group Currency Converter" obtained as described above?

3. This problem is not related to the above quoted message. Suppose there are three rates on IHG websites for a room on a particular day as follows:
    • Advanced Purchase Rate (room only, with no breakfast)
    • Best Flexible Rate (room only, with no breakfast)
    • Best Flexible Rate (with breakfast)
    May a claim be honored if I book a room with the rate "Best Flexible Rate (with breakfast)"?

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Just filed a claim with a different billing currency - the difference between the price is more than 10% which I think it should be sufficient to file a claim according to IHG CARE. Let's see how it goes.
I am looking forward to your next update.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The revisions are great in that they make the BRG much, much clearer! ^
+1

IHG Care, thank you for your post. Clarification would be much appreciated with this, too much room for possibly confusion and many mad customers.

Right now this BRG has too much downside risk of uncertainty and PIA forms/calls that I'm not even trying yet.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Hello:

Kevin
Thanks for the response.

In my case the difference is large so hopefully I'll be OK
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Redeemed
I recently had a claim denied for the Best Price Guarantee when the price for a room (same room/same Best Available Rate type) on Travelocity increased between the time I submitted the online claim form and the time I received the denial from the Best Price Guarantee Support Desk. I concluded that the online claim submission is flawed because the guest submitting the claim has no assurances that the mere submission of a claim would not serve as an alert to price discrepancies and that could then be fixed before the claim was processed. I received further reason to believe that this may well be the case when I received a call on my cell phone yesterday asking for "Miss Hyphenated-Name". I informed them they had the wrong number, they asked if they had dialed xxx-xxx-xxxx (which was my home phone number)- I told them them that was not the number they dialed. It was a little unsettling to me that a caller had both my home and cell number associated with another name. Upon returning home there were 2 messages on my home answering machine- the first message said, "Miss Hyphenated-Name" this is "John Doe" general manager of the IHG hotel (the property I had submitted my claim on) and I was calling to discuss the incident I just became aware of." The second message was addressed to me from "John Doe" asking me to disregard the first message but to still call him back. Since "Miss Hyphenated-Name" sounded vaguely familiar to me I went back to my BPG denial email and sure enough it was signed by "Miss Hyphenated-Name" I returned the call back to "John Doe" (several hours later). He said he did not mean to call me. I then asked if this was in regards to the Best Price Guarantee Claim I had submitted- he said "I kind of saw something about that" and that "sometimes we're asked to adjust our rates". I asked him if it was possible that the rate was adjusted before my claim was processed. He responded that he didn't really know how the BPG worked and he had to read up on it a little bit. He did say he would "see what we could do" about my rate and get back to me. I have not heard back from him. I am not sure why the hotel property would have to receive the claim information if the BPG support desk is denying the claim. I can only conclude that the property is given a chance to "fix" the price discrepancy before they have to "pay out"-in the form of a free night. So my take home message is don't use the online claim submission form- call the number. This whole BPG is very user-unfriendly and might well backfire and create ill will for the IHG brand.
Hello:

I honestly can't imagine the above scenario taking place as it completely undermines the credibility of IHG and the hotel property. From your scenario, it appears the GM might have received a notification from the Best Price Guarantee Dept of a claim which needed to be adjusted to comp status. If the GM didn't call back BGP, but actually called the guest in error to report the resolution or ask questions then this might be a more plausible explanation.

BPG wouldn't give the hotel the opportunity to "fix" the price discrepancy. However, they would advise the hotel to avoid future Best Price Guarantee claims, the hotel would want to work with their TPI Provider to ensure the future bookings sold to the TPI did not fall below the established rates on the IHG.com site.

Kevin.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:43 pm

Hello again!

Some follow-up and updates I have regarding the BPG Offer:

• We have had a few scenarios where the guest’s complimentary stay is not adjusted prior to arrival because we have a very few hotels where they have not complied with the Terms and Conditions of the new BPG Offer. If a hotel is unable or unwilling to make the complimentary adjustment prior to the guest’s arrival, the BPG Team will set up an arrangement for the guest to be refunded in the form of a check for their stay. If a check is not satisfactory, be sure to ask the agent for a Funds Transfer Option which will require you providing banking information since checks would be issued in US Dollars from our Customer Care Office. There will be no need for the guest to contact BPG after their stay. The Refund Process should be a seamless process for the guest other than the unfortunate inconvenience of having to wait to verify the stay and deliver the funds to the guest. If your claim is resolved in this manner, please ensure you have a File Number as confirmation of your claim so the BPG Team can reference your case easily if you have additional questions. So far, I have been told there are less than 20 of these scenarios and should decrease as hotels become familiar with the process.

• All IHG properties with the exception of the ANA Properties will participate in BPG. The reference made in the 04Oct T & C may seem like ANA Properties participate, but only references IHG hotels located in Japan or for the ANA Website only. This was set because you can book some IHG Properties through the ANA Website.

• I have been advised the BPG Team works 7 days a week, so you should receive acknowledgement of your BPG claim or response within 24 hours. If you don’t receive a response after 24 hours, I would recommend you contact the Service Center and inquiring if they have received your claim.

• Regarding Currency Conversions, I have been advised the confirmed rate on the TPI Site must be the same currency as IHG. This was set because we have no control of the volatile nature of some currencies which can widely vary within the day.

• Again, this is a “Rate to Rate” program where we are trying to encourage our most rate conscious guests to book through the IHG.com site to be guaranteed the lowest rate. I absolutely recognize travel plans or situations change. If you don’t want to take advantage the Advance Purchase Policy (or another restrictive policy), that is absolutely your choice. The BPG Program is only looking at Rate Amounts and was not offered to take into account the different Cancelation / Deposit Policies which reflects a more reduced rate.

I hope I have addressed the outstanding questions regarding the Best Price Guarantee.

Have a great weekend!
Kevin.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:23 pm

IHG Care,

It seems that you haven't answered my questions in #290, in particular Questions 2 and 3. Here are the questions.

Originally Posted by samwkchan
I feel confused by your reply. Here are three questions to ask:
  1. According to the current terms and conditions, currency conversions will not be considered. However, you mentioned that "if the rate difference is significant different, you may try to submit a claim."
    Suppose there is a room sold at USD 1000 on IHG website while the same room with identical conditions is sold at GBP 1 on a third-party website. Will a claim be honored? (My reasoning is based on the fact that GBP 1 must be much less than USD 1000, regardless of any reasonable exchange rate used in the world as of today and as well as any day in the history.)

2. You mentioned that "we will look at the conversion on the site against the IHG Site." To make it clear, do you mean the conversion rate obtained on the pop-up window obtained by clicking a currency during a reservation?
    I am confused by your words "If the rates are pretty close between the 2 sites, you may be denied a claim." It is explicitly stated in the terms and conditions that a difference of at least $1 per night for the guarantee to be honored. Please explain and elaborate the quoted sentence. You may consider the following example as well.

1. Suppose there is a room sold at GBP 101 on IHG website while the same room with identical conditions is sold at GBP 100 on a third-party website. Will a claim be honored? If so, is it because as of today (7 October 2011), the difference GBP 1 is at least USD 1, referencing the "InterContinental Hotels Group Currency Converter" obtained as described above?

3. This problem is not related to the above quoted message. Suppose there are three rates on IHG websites for a room on a particular day as follows:
    • Advanced Purchase Rate (room only, with no breakfast)
    • Best Flexible Rate (room only, with no breakfast)
    • Best Flexible Rate (with breakfast)
    May a claim be honored if I book a room with the rate "Best Flexible Rate (with breakfast)"?

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello:

The decision was made when implementing the Best Price Guarantee Program the focus would be on the Lowest Rate. Sometimes the "lowest rate" also ends up being a "Non Flexible" or "Advance Purchase" type rate. To clarify, if a rate on a 3rd Party Site is 100 and the IHG Site rate is 90, then the BPG would not be honored.....regardless of the cancel policy.

I understand the "Apples to Apples" comparison, but we're really only comparing the "Rate to Rate" and not the "Entire Reservation including Rate and Cancel Policy against Rate and Cancel Policy."

Kevin.
In the "Rate to Rate" situation, is there a penalty on the Hotel Comp Night if a customer is unable to keep the travel schedule?

The program's T&Cs do not address this scenario. So a clarification is much needed.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello:

Kevin.
So does this mean that a claim in a scenario with a $100 ichotelsgroup.com flexible rate compared with a third-party $90 non-refundable rate is valid as long as the $100 ichotelsgroup.com flexible rate is the lowest rate available at ichotelsgroup.com?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Hello again!

Some follow-up and updates I have regarding the BPG Offer:
If a hotel is unable or unwilling to make the complimentary adjustment prior to the guest’s arrival, the BPG Team will set up an arrangement for the guest to be refunded in the form of a check for their stay. If a check is not satisfactory, be sure to ask the agent for a Funds Transfer Option which will require you providing banking information since checks would be issued in US Dollars from our Customer Care Office.
Hold on a sec, it's supposed to be a "free night" I.e. A night that is free at the point of delivery, not a "pay up front and get your money back at some point after you have stayed" promotion. If i pay via the ihg website, ihg must have the authority to refund the night's payment back to the funding source. How you deal with your hotels is nothing to do with me, it's YOUR problem. Why would your customer care even think about send USD cheques to people anywhere other than the US, they would result in a major cost in getting the cheque cashed (I'm not sure if it's even possible). I'm in the uk, i use sterling, dollars are a foreign currency, a US dollar cheque is next to useless. Do your funds transfer options include sending funds to accounts in the native currency of the payee ?, and will the payback ensure that the payee doesn't actually end up out of pocket due to currency conversion.(I may pay using a sterling money source, but the payment would be taken in euros/dollars depending on the hotel).

It all seems terribly complicated, and this is AFTER your customer has jumped through all the required hoops to qualify in the first place !
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
IHG Care, thanks for your posts and participation here. I find the reimbursement solution agreeable, but do hope you work out all the kinks to ensure properties comply correctly with BRG.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by tangey
Hold on a sec, it's supposed to be a "free night" I.e. A night that is free at the point of delivery, not a "pay up front and get your money back at some point after you have stayed" promotion. If i pay via the ihg website, ihg must have the authority to refund the night's payment back to the funding source. How you deal with your hotels is nothing to do with me, it's YOUR problem. Why would your customer care even think about send USD cheques to people anywhere other than the US, they would result in a major cost in getting the cheque cashed (I'm not sure if it's even possible). I'm in the uk, i use sterling, dollars are a foreign currency, a US dollar cheque is next to useless. Do your funds transfer options include sending funds to accounts in the native currency of the payee ?, and will the payback ensure that the payee doesn't actually end up out of pocket due to currency conversion.(I may pay using a sterling money source, but the payment would be taken in euros/dollars depending on the hotel).

It all seems terribly complicated, and this is AFTER your customer has jumped through all the required hoops to qualify in the first place !
I agree with you, but I will say it is a kind of last resort for IHG in case something unexpected happens. As a remedial solution, it is better than none. My baseline is that I must receive the full amount in the currency I have paid, not a penny less, in an appropriate manner. It is the responsibility of IHG to shoulder all fees incurred if any.

For the method to receive the fund, a check is the best solution, a wire transfer is also possible given that IHG takes care of all fees charged by my local bank to receive the fund if any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.