Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:21 am
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
Originally Posted by blindman
Only way to get a Flex rate is if there isn't a NON flex rate on IHG (week before arrival in most cases).

However in your case:

1.Book the flex rate-get a conf number
2.Find the lower comparable rate at the third party site

Assuming this third party rate is lower than the NON flex rate at IHG

3.RING agent and claim the BRG
They say NO as it's not the lowest rate.

4. Confirm with agent (whilst on the phone ) that If you book the NON flex IHG rate it will qualify
They should say YES.
5. STAY on the PHONE,Book IHG Non ref rate-Claim this Booking REF.

It will be a NON flex rate-but it will be free!
Simples.
Thank you. All seems reasonable, just time consuming. Marriott's BRG is much smoother. Hilton's is a disaster. Seems like the IC is closer to the latter than the former. In my note, I mentioned the point you raise; it appeared to be ignored.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Another hint, if you want a free night, look at all the properties in the area. The good thing about IHG is that they have a lot of hotels. I scored my Berlin one by looking at each hotel and see if I can find a best flex vs ADP. I got it - you know what their best flex rate is with 14 days cancellation policy, so any comparison rate can beat that.

I used the telephone method when they first introduced the BRG. Remember one thing though: Even if the room changed to $0 per night, the terms will still under ADP terms, i.e. no change or cancel - if you do so they are going to charge you for this!

Don't get tricked by the $0 rate = free cancellation thing. It stated very clearly in the BRG confirmation email.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by ffj
Given that the best rate on the IC web site is typically nonrefundable, is there any way to get a claim approved using the flex rate?
Not in any circumstances.

+Best Price Guarantee:
"Please be advised that a guest must book the lowest available hotel room rate through the Best Available rate search - for the type of accommodations sought - in order to qualify for the Best Price Guarantee. As there is a lower rate available for this hotel on our website which is under the Advance Saver Rate with(AVERAGE NIGHTLY RATE USD XXX.xx) it does not initially qualify for the Best Price Guarantee.

You may still change your reservation to this rate so we can proceed with the validation of your claim. However, please know that the Advance Saver Rate is non-refundable and is non-cancelable. If your travel plans are fixed, you may decide to push through with the claim.
To modify or cancel a reservation, please visit our website,
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com
Hover your cursor to the Planning & Reservations tab
Click Manage Reservations
Enter Confirmation Number and Last Name
Click View This Reservation button
The Best Price Guarantee program, once the claim is validated, provides guests free booking for the first night of their stay. Limit one free night per name on reservation for any thirty day period between check-in dates.

Please take note that failure to change your reservation within the 24-hour time frame will automatically forfeit your claim."
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager

3.RING agent and claim the BRG
They say NO as it's not the lowest rate.

4. Confirm with agent (whilst on the phone ) that If you book the NON flex IHG rate it will qualify
They should say YES.
5. STAY on the PHONE,Book IHG Non ref rate-Claim this Booking REF.

It will be a NON flex rate-but it will be free!
Simples.

Does this still work today? I once had the agent tell me 'they cannot advise until confirmation is done'
In this case hang up and try again?
But I kept getting back the same person when I tried last time (though that was months ago)
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
A few questions for some wise folk...

I had a BRG claim approved a couple days ago over the phone. I never got an email that says it was approved, but she verbally said I'd get the email in a few days to let me know if the hotel approved the complimentary night. I was also given a reference number. I assume this is how it normally works when being approved over the phone?

Secondly, the rate booked on the IHG website was advance purchase. If I've already been charged, how does the process work then? Do I expect a refund now, or when the actual stay occurs?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphyUA
A few questions for some wise folk...

I had a BRG claim approved a couple days ago over the phone. I never got an email that says it was approved, but she verbally said I'd get the email in a few days to let me know if the hotel approved the complimentary night. I was also given a reference number. I assume this is how it normally works when being approved over the phone?

Secondly, the rate booked on the IHG website was advance purchase. If I've already been charged, how does the process work then? Do I expect a refund now, or when the actual stay occurs?

Thanks!
Not in my experience, I normally get an approval email within hours to confirm that my claim is approved. Then it may take weeks before you get an email saying that the hotel has adjusted the rate to $0.

If I were you, I'll send an email with your reference number as the subject and ask them for a written confirmation on the successful claim.

After you got that and if the hotel hasn't adjusted the rate to $0, write to them again.

You'll probably be charged for the ADP purchase, the hotel will then have to refund you. They keep your $ for 1 month, but in return you get a free room.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nacho
Not in my experience, I normally get an approval email within hours to confirm that my claim is approved. Then it may take weeks before you get an email saying that the hotel has adjusted the rate to $0.

If I were you, I'll send an email with your reference number as the subject and ask them for a written confirmation on the successful claim.

After you got that and if the hotel hasn't adjusted the rate to $0, write to them again.

You'll probably be charged for the ADP purchase, the hotel will then have to refund you. They keep your $ for 1 month, but in return you get a free room.
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean send an email to the BRG people or to the hotel?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by lsed
Does this still work today? I once had the agent tell me 'they cannot advise until confirmation is done'
In this case hang up and try again?
But I kept getting back the same person when I tried last time (though that was months ago)
When was the experience? I could ask the agent to check if the claim still qualify before switching to an advance purchase rate on 17 June 2012.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Not in any circumstances.
Utter rubbish

Quite often in at least the week before arrival the ONLY rate on IHG web-sites is the FLEX rate. If you can beat that then you have FREE night that is flexible.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean send an email to the BRG people or to the hotel?
BRG people - don't bother the hotel unless it's necessary.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite often in at least the week before arrival the ONLY rate on IHG web-sites is the FLEX rate. If you can beat that then you have FREE night that is flexible.
Yes I got IC Hamburg on BRG with 6 days notice - I filed the claim 6 days before arrival, i.e. as soon as the ADPs are gone

This is the rule of the free night game - you just need to play it right.

I also got another property that their flex rate is with 14 days cancellation notice.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
If I want to book 2 rooms for 3 nights (paying for 4 room nights), do I need to split the reservation into two reservations, one for each room?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
If I want to book 2 rooms for 3 nights (paying for 4 room nights), do I need to split the reservation into two reservations, one for each room?
Yep. Each person can only file a BRG for 1 room.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:37 pm

Great post...ive been searching through but please can someone help me answer these 2 questions:

1: They say you have to pick the cheapest rate they advertise - does this mean you have to pick room only over room with breakfast as it's always cheaper??

2: Is the price we have to beat the price including taxes or without??

Thanks!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fcop
Great post...ive been searching through but please can someone help me answer these 2 questions:

1: They say you have to pick the cheapest rate they advertise - does this mean you have to pick room only over room with breakfast as it's always cheaper??

2: Is the price we have to beat the price including taxes or without??

Thanks!!
1. No, you need to compare rates either with breakfast or not

2. it's exclusive of tax as far as I know

A kind reminder: don't book Advance purchase rate until you are told by the BRG agent that you claim will be approved if you change you rate to advance purchase. Otherwise you'll stuck with the ADP rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.